Alena Kostornaia | Page 137 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

sclloyd

On the Ice
Country
United-States
she's a FANTASTIC skater. why did they give her such awful, confusing programs? why the dated twilight soundtrack? the lp music cuts are terrible, the program lacks cohesion.

i swear her coaches hate her.

I don’t think they hate her. She did get to choose the music, even if she’s not the favorite to win. But I also think that it’s not as sophisticated as it could be. I could only imagine how amazing her program would be if she skated to something like Konstantinova’s free skate music.

SXTN

Final Flight
I don’t think they hate her. She did get to choose the music, even if she’s not the favorite to win. But I also think that it’s not as sophisticated as it could be. I could only imagine how amazing her program would be if she skated to something like Konstantinova’s free skate music.

Sorry, but Konstantinova's music is washed-out.

Kostornaia's program is fine the way it is. It demontrates her softness and elegance at the beginning, it gets a little darker in the middle section and the end is entertaining. Though Twilight has also been used a couple of times, this program is quite unique and suits her. And she has fun with it which is most important.

macy

Record Breaker
she's a FANTASTIC skater. why did they give her such awful, confusing programs? why the dated twilight soundtrack? the lp music cuts are terrible, the program lacks cohesion.

i swear her coaches hate her.

i agree the way the music is cut is a bit jarring- it could have transitioned smoother from cut to cut. but as much as some of us don't like it, Aliona wanted to skate to it. she likes twilight and likes skating to the music. if her coaches hated her, they would have forced her to use different music and not something they know she enjoys. she does a good job of interpreting each piece of music.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
She said she asked for it, and her coached gave her the program she wanted. She also said it's her favorite program of all (to her fanpage).
I don't see how letting your skater skate to their favorite music/program is hating them. :eek:hwell:
+ I think Alyona hasn't really explored this energetic side of herself yet, so doing so in a part of the program makes sense and can help her slowly integrate that and develop that side of her artistry further.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
^^ this FP is a nice way for her to transition from the lyrical pieces she is known for to something unique offbeat, different. The film certainly has its share of lyrical music that her choreographer could have strung together but the program would not have been as interesting or told Bella's story... no Cinderella here, and that is a good thing!!

EDT.. Just learned Yulia Yulia is doing Cinderella with Plushenko which, from Instagram pictures, looks just beautiful!! Felt I needed to add this ... Alena needed to do something more edgy and Twilight fits the bill and age-appropriate :clap:

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not a big fan of this narrative that Alyona's coaching team hasn't done right by her by giving her this music. Sure, they could have said no when said she wanted to skate to Twilight, but I think its important to keep in mind that it was her idea. Could Daniil's execution of the concept been better? Yeah, probably, but I think we see Alyona's joy and enthusiasm for what she's doing in this program more than ever before, and I think that's worth something.

I think the program is really fun, and I will enjoy watching it throughout the season. Alyona is only 16 and she has her entire senior career ahead of her to be elegant and sophisticated. I don't see the harm in letting her express her personality on the ice.

She may skate like an angel, but lest we forget, when she was asked to describe herself in one word, she said "Difficult." [emoji23]

freeman21

On the Ice
Damn, just watched her FP for the first time a few minutes ago and though: "That's some cool music, nice change from the usual snoozfest Tuberize students get " (well... except Trusova).

Then I read youtube comments and come here to see that people actually hate it lol. Well, seems my music preferences for skating programs is way different from what traditional skating fans consider to be "good".

Anyway, I'm super happy she got that FP music. I hope she rocks this season!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Damn, just watched her FP for the first time a few minutes ago and though: "That's some cool music, nice change from the usual snoozfest Tuberize students get " (well... except Trusova).

Then I read youtube comments and come here to see that people actually hate it lol. Well, seems my music preferences for skating programs is way different from what traditional skating fans consider to be "good".

I love it as well. I was a huge fan of the Twilight soundtracks back then and imo they choose the best songs from the movie :) I think this program is very versatile and something new. Skaters should skate to different genres of music in order to develop their artistry, so I am glad that her team wants to push her in different directions musically.

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
So I just finished watching the movies again.
#AlionaMadeMeDoIt [emoji23]

I really hope she goes to Finlandia, I wanna see her earlier than GP France. [emoji7]

SkateSkates

Medalist
The more I watch her LP the more it grows on me. I can’t wait to see it again once she’s got another solid month of training under her belt and is able to clean up the couple of little mistakes here and there.

SkateSkates

Medalist
Some nice words about Aliona in this article (google translate from Russian)

Yesterday's juniors Kostornaya, Trusova and Shcherbakova went into adult sports. But does this mean that their skating has become more mature?
- You know, if we talk about Alena Kostornaya, then when she was thirteen years old, I looked at her and saw skating, which is usually called female. She is unusually gifted in terms of gliding, I believe that Kostornaya is already one of the strongest skaters in the world. The magnificent choreography, the way she feels the music, moves amazingly: her performances of the eyes are pleasing.

https://m.realnoevremya.ru/articles...ium=redirect&utm_campaign=mobile#from_desktop

I don’t think Aliona will get lower than 30 PCS. She deserves at least 35 though, which probably won’t happen (at least at the beginning of the season). I think the scoring at Lombardia was just really harsh for some reason.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Some nice words about Aliona in this article (google translate from Russian)

Yesterday's juniors Kostornaya, Trusova and Shcherbakova went into adult sports. But does this mean that their skating has become more mature?
- You know, if we talk about Alena Kostornaya, then when she was thirteen years old, I looked at her and saw skating, which is usually called female. She is unusually gifted in terms of gliding, I believe that Kostornaya is already one of the strongest skaters in the world. The magnificent choreography, the way she feels the music, moves amazingly: her performances of the eyes are pleasing.

https://m.realnoevremya.ru/articles...ium=redirect&utm_campaign=mobile#from_desktop

I don’t think Aliona will get lower than 30 PCS. She deserves at least 35 though, which probably won’t happen (at least at the beginning of the season). I think the scoring at Lombardia was just really harsh for some reason.

Thanks for this! Seems like Vazgen Azroyan is a big fan of Aliona! :agree:

Alexander Zhulin also had nice things to say about her after the test skates:
https://rusbiathlon.ru/news/figure-skating/id130883/

GoogleTranslate:
- Let's talk about the performance of singles. Have you noticed someone for yourself?
- I really liked how Alina Zagitova changed, in the direction of a beautiful female skating. She already consciously rolls the program, put her soul into it, this is clearly and completely visible. I really liked the program of Evgenia Medvedeva, despite the fact that it was such minimalism that it is present in this music. I liked it, it's such a thing, good staging. I really liked Alena Kostornaya, I always liked her. The girl rides divine. Alexander Trusov will tear everyone up, she jumps fours. Anna Shcherbakova is a very interesting figure skater, but so far I see a girl’s skating and slightly wrapped feet. But then again, if Anya jumps all over, then it will be difficult for the rest to fight Trusova and Shcherbakova.

Also, I was really struck by something Aliona said in her post-LP interview:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2PMER9HxTL/
When asked why she has a unicorn, she answered "It's a magic animal. I want everything to be magical."
And I thought, "magical" is really the perfect word to describe Aliona's skating! :yes:

She's so cute in this interview! :love:
I guess it's a good thing she can't get a horse until she turns 18! At least that way we know she'll stick with figure skating through the Olympics! (Fingers crossed.) :biggrin:

Lastly, Aliona was mentioned in this podcast with people who photograph figure skating:
https://www.inthelopodcast.com/news/2019/09/10/episode-35-transcript
Kat: Genuinely, like I tend towards skaters that I think have beautiful lines and have expression that goes through their whole body from their head to their finger tips. I am really drawn to the way that skaters use their hands so I love photographing skaters like Yuzuru, Sui and Han, especially Wenjing, and Satoko Miyahara, Alyona Kostornaia. They have such beautiful hands. It really comes out in photos I think. Their lines are gorgeous and I love photographing them. Even Shoma too.

Batsuchan

Medalist

My problem with Aliona's LP is that I really, really liked the EX version, and I feel like the competition version is not as good. To me, the EX seemed very well-choreographed, and everything fit the music nicely:
https://youtu.be/5CfzAH0T3rE

In the LP, they had to change things so they could cram in the required elements, and I feel like the end-product doesn't look as good. Also, I feel like some of the choreography they kept from the original EX doesn't make sense now. Like the EX seems to have a few arm movements centered around her cape - like when she sticks her arm out to the side -- and now they just look funny since she doesn't have a cape.

Also, in the EX version, it was super obvious that Aliona was portraying a vampire, whether or not you are familiar with "Twilight." Now I feel like you have to know that Aliona is skating to "Twilight" and partly portraying a vampire to understand what's going on in her LP, and personally I think it's better if a program works on its own merits and doesn't require a viewer to have any knowledge beforehand.

So we'll see that the judges make of it. I'm still very happy that Aliona is happy with her program and really comes alive at the end of the program. :agree:
And perhaps this program will grow on me as Aliona continues polishing it.
But right now, I feel like I did when Elena Radionova debuted her "Titanic" program. :drama: