Alena Kostornaia | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Alyona still remains my most beloved of Eteri's beasts. No matter the TES, its just such pleasure to watch her programs.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I guess, if not that 3Lutz and again lvl 3 on the stsq, it was her best skate of the year. I've never seen her skating like this. She was flying on the ice. Everything was so smooth and sweet.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I guess, if not that 3Lutz and again lvl 3 on the stsq, it was her best skate of the year. I've never seen her skating like this. She was flying on the ice. Everything was so smooth and sweet.
I agree, this probably was her best performance yet, at least until the Lutz. I really hope she can fix that. Until she does, it's going to be almost impossible for her to be truly competitive with the other Russian ladies...

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I agree, this probably was her best performance yet, at least until the Lutz. I really hope she can fix that. Until she does, it's going to be almost impossible for her to be truly competitive with the other Russian ladies...

I'm more worry/curious about her upcoming trainings. The season is over. It's time (almost all next five months) to learn new jumps without fear of being injured and skipping important competitions. So I suppose she will try to learn 3A, 4S or 4T.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I'm more worry/curious about her upcoming trainings. The season is over. It's time (almost all next five months) to learn new jumps without fear of being injured and skipping important competitions. So I suppose she will try to learn 3A, 4S or 4T.
3A or 4S, it was. Indeed. But still, she hasn't displayed such high rotation speed and doesn't have a 3Lo combo so I really am not as confident about her getting it consistent... Even Trusova's is just barely there.

She certainly needs to add something, especially if Anna manages to regain the 4T(I'm not sure how realistic that is). Right now, the 2T 2T and the inability to repeat Lutz in addition to the lack of a -3Lo combo is a very big handicap for Alena to give.

randomfan

Record Breaker
She wasn’t at her best today, but that was still a breathtaking performance. I hope that she takes a good rest before she starts preparing for the next season.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
3A or 4S, it was.

No, it's 3A and/or 4T. It's what her team said (she already practiced 3A and landed some), and IMO it's also pretty obviously what her jumps look like. Her 3T is >>>> compared to her 3S, even if it's always the back-end of her combos.

_________

Kosto was amazing today and an absolute joy to watch, as always. She finished very clearly behind Sasha, and while Sasha was ridiculously bad*ss out there, I think the scores also showed again that high BV = high GOE & PCS just follow. No way should the 2 girls just have been only 1 point apart in PCS. Hopefully Alenka will get the message - improve and challenge technically - but will also stay true to her pace. What Sasha did was incredible and I don't want to take away from it, but keeping those quads will be even more difficult then getting them in the first place, and we never know how success in Juniors (especially the first year) translates to Seniors. Also, what works for her might not work for Kosto. Rushing on the jumping side might only hurt her, physically and in regards to overall development, so I hope she keeps a cool head and focuses on herself. Alenka is special, very much so, in a way that isn't necessarily measured by scores. I just want her to stay healthy and able to give us countless beautiful skates in the next years, because watching her gives me a joy that is hard to compare to anything else.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Sasha's triple jump content was significantly more difficult than Alena's on its own.

Oh, and Sasha also did jump 2 quads.

Kostornaia actually won in PCS but there was nothing she could do here...

Thank you.

iorii

On the Ice
I just watched Alena's programs for the first time today. Is it just me or is she a fast skater on ice? I feel that she moves very fast (can't really judge from screen but it feels like that). Fast spins, fast rotation, fast skate on the ice. She has good artistry at such young age, I'm definitely keeping an eye on her now :)

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I just watched Alena's programs for the first time today. Is it just me or is she a fast skater on ice? I feel that she moves very fast (can't really judge from screen but it feels like that). Fast spins, fast rotation, fast skate on the ice. She has good artistry at such young age, I'm definitely keeping an eye on her now :)

Yes, she is fast. Actually all good skaters can be fast - more or less.

Azikin

Medalist
3A or 4S, it was. Indeed. But still, she hasn't displayed such high rotation speed and doesn't have a 3Lo combo so I really am not as confident about her getting it consistent... Even Trusova's is just barely there.

She certainly needs to add something, especially if Anna manages to regain the 4T(I'm not sure how realistic that is). Right now, the 2T 2T and the inability to repeat Lutz in addition to the lack of a -3Lo combo is a very big handicap for Alena to give.

I don't think she needs to add 3A or 4S. Her artistic ability is only going to improve, while I doubt any girl will be able to steadily jump quads, especially when they grow up.. but who knows..

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I don't think she needs to add 3A or 4S. Her artistic ability is only going to improve, while I doubt any girl will be able to steadily jump quads, especially when they grow up.. but who knows..
On the other skaters being unable to retain quads, that's of course very possible depending on how Shcherbakova recovers. Although, Akatieva completely defies physics and her I'm easily the most confident about when it comes to quads. Then again, she will only be a senior 4 years after Kostornaia.

Even if she won't need quads or a 3A, the Lutz thing is going to be a handicap for her. This cost Medvedeva for example. I do think that when she gets to seniors she's going to gain quite a PCS advantage - Usually in juniors that just isn't a thing. Adding a +3Lo combo would really help a lot, as would doing a -2T-2Lo combo instead of -2T-2T. Then she would almost be at Zagitova's level, just being unable to repeat the Lutz(And perhaps getting a ! for it). That might be good enough for the time being.

To me Kostornaia clearly has the capability and great lift on her jumps so I honestly am not sure why she isn't at the very least performing a -2T-2Lo combo.

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
Even if she won't need quads or a 3A, the Lutz thing is going to be a handicap for her.

I noticed she made the mistake on the 3Lutz the second time in a row, previously she fell on this jump at JRN in the SP. Maybe this is directly related with her work on fixing it?

Her lutz wasn't called !, how looks her edge here? Still flat? Then why the same tech panel called ! her clean landed lutz in the short program, while lutz with step out wasn't called as !.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I noticed she made the mistake on the 3Lutz the second time in a row, previously she fell on this jump at JRN in the SP. Maybe this is directly related with her work on fixing it?

Her lutz wasn't called !, how looks her edge here? Still flat? Then why the same tech panel called ! her clean landed lutz in the short program, while lutz with step out wasn't called as !.
I also paid attention to the Lutz looking a bit better in the FS and appreciated that she was apparently paying attention to it. It still is flat but this kind of a lutz she might be able to get away with. It really would help if she managed to get the edge just a little bit better though.

I hope she adds a 3Lo combo next season.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
about Lutz. Isn't it the first time she jumped 3Lz rippon?
She didn't jump rippon Lz before as I remember. She had just 3T rippon.
:scratch2:

breadstal

Record Breaker
Her 2A is so good, I can see her doing 3A for sure. She has great salchow and toe loop as well but I'm not sure about quads.

Grin

Medalist
I also paid attention to the Lutz looking a bit better in the FS and appreciated that she was apparently paying attention to it. It still is flat but this kind of a lutz she might be able to get away with. It really would help if she managed to get the edge just a little bit better though.

I hope she adds a 3Lo combo next season.

I hope 3lo combos become a common rule in Eteri's camp