Alena Kostornaia | Page 122 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

SkateSkates

Medalist

anna gabriela

Rinkside
Interesting... so she’s up against Alina twice but no match ups with Sasha, Anna or Zhenya (dare I say until the final..).

To be honest all I really care is that she has two spots, it all feels so real and exciting now!!

SkateSkates

Medalist
Interesting... so she’s up against Alina twice but no match ups with Sasha, Anna or Zhenya (dare I say until the final..).

To be honest all I really care is that she has two spots, it all feels so real and exciting now!!

It looks like they paired up the top 6 ladies at all 6 events -Alena vs Alina, Sasha vs Zhenya and Anna vs Tut. Smart strategy to ensure they each only need to face 1 other main top Russian lady at each event.

anna gabriela

Rinkside
It looks like they paired up the top 6 ladies at all 6 events -Alena vs Alina, Sasha vs Zhenya and Anna vs Tut. Smart strategy to ensure they each only need to face 1 other main top Russian lady at each event.

Ooh I didn’t notice that, it’s an interesting tactic. I hope it works because I’d love an all russian lady final!!

SkateSkates

Medalist
So against Alina both times.. that's kind of tough.. we'll see.. :cheer:

Any of the other 4 would be equally tough competition, so it will really come down to who skates better on the day.

In addition to Alina, Alena’s main competition will likely come from Kaori at IDF and of course Rika at NHK.

All of the events are equally stacked, with the exception of Rostelecom which is only slightly easier, so making the final will be tough for everyone this season. If everyone skates up to the level they are capable of, this will definitely be the most competitive GP series ever. Now we just have to wait until September for test skates and Challenger Assignments. I assume Alena will want to do 2 before her 1st GP to get as many WS points as possible so she can is seeded in the 2nd warmup group for the SP. I need to take another look at the world ranking list to see how she compares with the rest of the fields in France and Japan. Exciting times!

Hopefully she will be fully recovered by then.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Hoping that this beautiful young lady stays healthy next season and shows some of the most beautiful figure skating we've ever seen. Keep your fingers crossed for Alena. The sport really needs her now with her beautiful skating and artistry amid all the phenomenal jumping jacks out there.

I'm also hoping she can develop and improve her consistency kind of what Sofia has.

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
Can't wait to see wonderful Alena's senior debut. I am a little bummed that she won't be coming to Skate America, but I have lots of hope for her two GPs nevertheless. It'll be interesting to see what kind of shape she's in and how her programs look as the season nears, but I think she has a solid shot at doing well/getting on the podium at both.

Batsuchan

Medalist
I'm so relieved that Aliona got 2 GP events! I mean, I was pretty sure it would happen, but it was a relief to actually see it in print! :yahoo:

I know some fans are kind of disappointed that she'll be head-to-head against Alina twice, because it will be hard to beat the reigning Olympic and World champion, but I think there are a couple of silver linings. First, this was mentioned in a different thread, but since Alina gets the highest PCS, even if the judges put Aliona below Alina on PCS, she could get very high PCS. It will be really interesting to see what the judges do with the PCS if Aliona skates cleanly but Alina does not... Also, I think the contrast between their skating styles is greater than say, if Aliona was paired against Evgenia, who is also polished and graceful.

Second, I expect Eteri to go to all of Alina's events, which means she will also be there to support Aliona, and Aliona does seem to be pretty close to Eteri, judging by their behavior at Jr Nationals, the ice show in April, and Aliona's interview on Japanese TV. The judges might also be (slightly) impressed that the main coach is there with her, as I do not expect Eteri to go to Sasha or Anna's GP events. (I expect Eteri to stay with Alina at all times.)

Third, I think Aliona will be super excited to go to France--I think she's mentioned that she wants to go there since she's studying French, and I feel like she said she likes Japan too, so it's cool that she got those events. :agree:

Fourth, there will be a ton of pressure and attention on Alina, since she's the reigning Oly/World champion, whereas Aliona will probably be more "under the radar," so hopefully that will help her mentally. :yes:

Can't wait to see Aliona at Dreams on Ice next week!! :hap57:

littlesheep

Rinkside
I'm so relieved that Aliona got 2 GP events! I mean, I was pretty sure it would happen, but it was a relief to actually see it in print! :yahoo:

I know some fans are kind of disappointed that she'll be head-to-head against Alina twice, because it will be hard to beat the reigning Olympic and World champion, but I think there are a couple of silver linings. First, this was mentioned in a different thread, but since Alina gets the highest PCS, even if the judges put Aliona below Alina on PCS, she could get very high PCS. It will be really interesting to see what the judges do with the PCS if Aliona skates cleanly but Alina does not... Also, I think the contrast between their skating styles is greater than say, if Aliona was paired against Evgenia, who is also polished and graceful.

Second, I expect Eteri to go to all of Alina's events, which means she will also be there to support Aliona, and Aliona does seem to be pretty close to Eteri, judging by their behavior at Jr Nationals, the ice show in April, and Aliona's interview on Japanese TV. The judges might also be (slightly) impressed that the main coach is there with her, as I do not expect Eteri to go to Sasha or Anna's GP events. (I expect Eteri to stay with Alina at all times.)

Third, I think Aliona will be super excited to go to France--I think she's mentioned that she wants to go there since she's studying French, and I feel like she said she likes Japan too, so it's cool that she got those events. :agree:

Fourth, there will be a ton of pressure and attention on Alina, since she's the reigning Oly/World champion, whereas Aliona will probably be more "under the radar," so hopefully that will help her mentally. :yes:

Can't wait to see Aliona at Dreams on Ice next week!! :hap57:

:( I still haven't figured out how to buy a ticket of Dreams on Ice.

Batsuchan

Medalist
Yeah, unfortunately, it might be hard to get a ticket unless you live in Japan... I went to Stars on Ice in Japan once, but my Japanese friend had to order it for me, and her father (who lives there) picked up the ticket...

SkateSkates

Medalist
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzFuYfOItvH/?igshid=1l350b03k6vxb

Aliona has finished grade 9!

Now that she changed her name on Instagram from Alena to Aliona, I’m not sure how to write her name anymore. The official translation on ISU is still Alena, and the transliteration is Alyona...

In other news, apparently the tickets for IDF are already on sale. I can’t get the website to load but if prices for tickets and flights are ok, I might try to make the trek to see Angel/Vampire Alena.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
https://www.instagram.com/p/BzFuYfOItvH/?igshid=1l350b03k6vxb

Aliona has finished grade 9!

Now that she changed her name on Instagram from Alena to Aliona, I’m not sure how to write her name anymore. The official translation on ISU is still Alena, and the transliteration is Alyona...

In other news, apparently the tickets for IDF are already on sale. I can’t get the website to load but if prices for tickets and flights are ok, I might try to make the trek to see Angel/Vampire Alena.

I'm more contend with the transliteration Aliona than Alyona, it suits more to czech transliteration, which is Aljona.

BTW she regrets she received one "fourth" in the report card, in Russia it is the same like in my country, scale of marks is from 1 (best) to 5 (worst) :)

Edit: it is the opposite - 5 best, 1 worst in Russia, my bad, thanks to nussnacker for correction.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I'm more contend with the transliteration Aliona than Alyona, it suits more to czech transliteration, which is Aljona.

BTW she regrets she received one "fourth" in the report card, in Russia it is the same like in my country, scale of marks is from 1 (best) to 5 (worst) :)

It's the opposite, the scale is 1- the worst, 5 - the best =)
She got all "excellent" grades, besides one "good", and even that one is for the less serious subject Basics of life safety =)

tempo

On the Ice
She got all "excellent" grades, besides one "good", and even that one is for the less serious subject Basics of life safety =)

I confirm, 5 means "excellent knowledge" and 4 means "good knowledge". Thus Alyona is successful in school as well as on the ice.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic

Ah, thanks for correction, so it is the exact opposite. So that means Aliona has only one mark less than best, how could I presume she would have such bad mark... :shame:

Maju

On the Ice
Alena is such a high achiever in all aspects of life! Let’s hope her academic success transfers to this season’s skating :)