Alena Kostornaia | Page 198 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Decoder

On the Ice
IMO Aliona is the only skater in the ladies field who has star quality.
To be a star you have to be good in your sport. Of course, you have to be a champion, but it's not enough.
What is a star made of?
Good looking and a winning smile and intelligence and even a little bit of naughtiness, that’s what a star is made of.
Loving to be in the spotlight and loving the contact with the public, that, too, is what a star is made of.
But most of all a star must have an original personality, out of the ordinary, must dare to sing outside the choir, as we say.
Remind you of anyone? :laugh:

I'm not saying Aliona is already a star, but she has the potential.
Where she is, something out of the ordinary always happens, like at the award ceremony at the IDF.
If nothing happens, she causes it, like at the award ceremony at the GPF, when she pretended to eat the chocolate flowers.
In the press conference at the Russian national championships, both Anna and Sasha refused to answer a question about the possible Russian ban by the Olympic Committee.
Then Aliona said: "But I will not abstain" (from speaking).
What a bold assertion from a sixteen years old! It was a statement like: I’m not afraid to speak, I’m not like the others! :dev3:

There have been many strong skaters in the last decades. IMO none of them was a star.Their notoriety has always been limited to the skating fans and their fellow countrymen. The general public has never known any of them.
In Italy everyone knew Carolina Kostner but, besides skating fans, almost nobody knew Mao Asada or Yuna Kim.
I mean, probably the greatest boxer of all time was "Sugar" Ray Robinson or maybe Floyd Mayweather. How many of you know them? But I bet everyone knows Muhammad Ali (Cassius Clay).
They were champions, Alì was a star (actually, he was more than a star, he was a legend). Many hated him, many more admired and loved him.

A personality like Aliona's is too strong and will never be appreciated by all ... so, deal with it.

Interesting take!

I just checked the post statistics for the 3A. As of now:

Alena Kostornaia:
thread start time: 08-31-2017
#pages: 198
Replies: 3,940
Views: 647,187

Anna Shcherbakova:
thread start time: 09-04-2016
#pages: 136
Replies: 2,716
Views: 514,731

Alexandra Trusova:
thread start time: 11-14-2016
#pages: 119
Replies: 2,377
Views: 417,514

Although Alena's thread was started 9-12 months later, she has attracted the most attention with more posts and views.

Wish her good luck!

McBibus

On the Ice
Saw the music rotation for the SP this morning.
Flawless.
But i'm so tense about today :gaah:

Vemvane

On the Ice
She's on the ice for the six minute warmup now - good luck, and good skating! She looked very self-possessed, perhaps a touch nervous, when introduced to the audience.

Nachi

On the Ice
I had goosebumps all over when she did her last motions with the sound of wings. I was stunned once more by how beautiful she was. Wish her all the best for the FS! ❤️

Vemvane

On the Ice
Another lovely performance from Aliona! I confess that when I saw her looking possibly nervous when she took the ice at the start of the warm up, I felt more than a pang of worry, so that throughout her programme I was more on tenterhooks than usual. That 3A landing made me catch my breath, and the falling leaf after it did not seem as high and easy as usual, and there was a moment in the StSq where she looked almost lost, sort of disconnected from what she was supposed to be doing, but then she finished off with that amazing ending, right in front of the judges, wingbeats perfectly timed, and I knew that she had done well.

Anyway, now that the ISU has uploaded the individual videos for the top three in the SP, I went back and rewatched them. I must have been so full of adrenaline during Aliona's performance that even the slightest wobble or stickiness became magnified, because rewatching the video in a more relaxed frame of mind, the 3A landing looked just fine! She really does just step up into the jump from nowhere, making it look so easy. And the 3T in her combination, gosh, she jumped so high that the camera had to track up, and even then it failed to catch her hands in her rippon. The StSq was nowhere near as hesitant as I thought either, just very lovely to watch, while that final layback spin ending in the Biellmann? Perfect.

I did appreciate the commentator saying, "She has a presence about her. I glanced away from the ice a time or two, and you could see the faces of the audience. They were spellbound." Aliona is indeed magical to watch, and this particular piece, with the music, the theme, the costume, well, it casts an enchantment all of its own.

Aliona's video is here, but probably geoblocked for quite a few people: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPQbQEgt8wg

McBibus

On the Ice
I had goosebumps all over when she did her last motions with the sound of wings. I was stunned once more by how beautiful she was. Wish her all the best for the FS! ❤️

The step sequence before the last spin is always my favorite part.
Pure magic.

Our angel was unsatisfied.
I'm disappointed about the transition vote.

She seemed a bit restrained to me.
Let yourself go Aliona!

Decoder

On the Ice
Alena Kostornaya: “I grew up during the holidays, so I learned all the jumps again. There was a wild uncoordination "
(https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1082649921.html)
google translation:

Russian skater Alena Kostornaya commented on her short program performance at the European Championships in Graz, Austria.

After the first competition day, Kostornaya leads.

“I did everything as always, I’m probably satisfied, and most importantly, that I completed the task.

A little non-standard arena, but there is nothing wrong with it, the organization is generally good, and the athletes are very warmly supported on ice, ”Kostornaya said.

“After the New Year holidays, I learned all the jumps again, there was a wild uncoordination. I went out on the ice and did not understand how to ride, to sit on my foot.

If I grow two and a half centimeters during the holidays, I understand that something is not happening. It was now, I grew up, but I don’t think that it affected somehow, ”the skater added .

Artemisa

Final Flight
Alena Kostornaya: “I grew up during the holidays, so I learned all the jumps again. There was a wild uncoordination "
(https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1082649921.html)
google translation:

Russian skater Alena Kostornaya commented on her short program performance at the European Championships in Graz, Austria.

After the first competition day, Kostornaya leads.

“I did everything as always, I’m probably satisfied, and most importantly, that I completed the task.

A little non-standard arena, but there is nothing wrong with it, the organization is generally good, and the athletes are very warmly supported on ice, ”Kostornaya said.

“After the New Year holidays, I learned all the jumps again, there was a wild uncoordination. I went out on the ice and did not understand how to ride, to sit on my foot.

If I grow two and a half centimeters during the holidays, I understand that something is not happening. It was now, I grew up, but I don’t think that it affected somehow, ”the skater added .

I think her technic is near perfection ... so even if she grown won't affect her much except if she grows to quick and in a bad time ... she looked a little upset in the Sp, anyone knows why?

P.S: I was hopping to see her try a quad in euros ... but she has grown in news year .. probably not

McBibus

On the Ice

After all the fuss about the arena and the organization someone who's not afrais to speak his mind.
It's not the best but we can compete.
Personality

I retire my words about seeing her a bit restrained.
She had any reason to keep control above anything else.
I must say I'm impressed if she reworked everything in such a little time.

The tech panel put her trixel under review
Passed of course but
"How dare you infidels" :devil:

madmax

Rinkside
Italian state broadcaster commentator on Aliona as she took the starting position: "She's beautiful!" (so true! :biggrin:)

Then, commenting on her performance: "Sophisticated", "Elegant", "The most complete"

But also: "Today she was a little bit more cautious than usual, less explosive"

Heikkitapani

Rinkside
Finnish commentator was a little bit sour to Aliona, don´t know why, but she doesn't like Zagitova either. I guess her infamous gala tiger-oufit was too daring for a girl of her age in her opinion... Aliona's SP is definitely best ever but IMO some glamour (like in Torino and RN) was missing this time. Of course it was fantastic skating, score was very high and A was shockingly beautiful but Aliona has spoiled us to demand perfection and then lot more.

Azikin

Medalist
Finnish commentator was a little bit sour to Aliona
You should have heard Czech commentary. Absolutely awful, talking some unrelated things at the beginning of the program and then the guy mistook her beautiful triple axel for double.. that's what I call preparation for commenting.. and the usual apparent dislike of Russian skaters in general.. I want Ted... :sad46: But anyway, solid lead before the FP... I really really want to see that beautiful smile again... :cheer:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Haven‘t written in here yet since what feels like forever. I‘ll keep it short. Aliona. Kostornaya. Is. A. Star. :bow: :clap: :luv17:

That‘s it. That‘s all I have to say. :biggrin:

vesperalvioletta

Medalist
Country
United-States
She‘s hilarious. [emoji23] You know, I love her for her sass. Now, if she could just put the phone away, that‘s really the only thing bothering me.
Hopefully her mom or Eteri will say something. I'm all for blocking out the haters, but she's not doing herself any favors by not giving the press conference her attention. I don't think the girls enjoy them very much, but it's a major championship!