Alena Kostornaia | Page 199 | Golden Skate

Alena Kostornaia

Batsuchan

Medalist
Haven‘t written in here yet since what feels like forever. I‘ll keep it short. Aliona. Kostornaya. Is. A. Star.
That‘s it. That‘s all I have to say.

Thanks Fluture for sharing your impressions here and in the Russian Ladies thread! :thank:
As I always say, I love to read the thoughts of the people who were actually in the arena! :yes:

Hopefully her mom or Eteri will say something. I'm all for blocking out the haters, but she's not doing herself any favors by not giving the press conference her attention. I don't think the girls enjoy them very much, but it's a major championship!

I agree with you and Fluture; I do wish Aliona would stop using her phone during the press conference. :yes:

BUTTTTTT, part of me kinda feels like if someone tells Aliona she shouldn't do something (like play with her phone), then she will want to do it even more! :palmf: :laugh: That "rebel chic" slogan on that Guess sweater she had at Nationals really fits her, unfortunately...

I do think she would listen to Eteri, though. :yes: But does Eteri really care about the press conferences? :unsure:

Still, I was just :rofl: at her antics with the microphone at the start of the press conference. Maybe Team Tutberidze decided that her playing with her phone quietly is better than her getting bored and actively trying to annoy the journalists! The lesser of two evils! :laugh:

Oh well, I always knew that I was a fan of a little devil, and that I would end up forgiving her for everything! :drama:

Batsuchan

Medalist
I had to watch the Ladies SP when I was at work, and then I was busy all evening, so I haven't had a chance to share my thoughts until now.

Congrats to our angel for winning the SP and winning her first championship SP medal! :cheer2:

I always start panicking before Aliona skates, but she clearly has stronger nerves than me! :yes: Another clean skate, but not perfect. The 3A and the 3T weren't as smooth at as GPF, so I wasn't that surprised that Aliona scored less than 85, but I was somewhat surprised by how small the PCS gap was between her and Anna/Sasha. I think it's clearer than ever that Aliona will need a quad to stay competitive with them in the future. :yes:

So even though Aliona won the SP, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed (as a greedy fan). I was hoping she would get a huge PCS boost like Boikova/Kozlovskii (who received 38+ in PCS for their SP) and have an even bigger cushion going into the FS. BUT, at the same time, I do feel like you only get a few perfect performances per season, and her SP at Nationals was sheer perfection, so I did think it would be hard for her to do that again so soon. ALSO, I'm really hoping she saves that other perfect performance for Worlds! :agree:

All my disappointment disappeared when I saw Aliona being Aliona though--first by crashing the men's press conference :laugh: and then by being a total troll at her own press conference :rofl:

Yes, as I said in my post above, there are times when I wish Aliona would tone it down and behave, but gosh, I just love her devilish side! :love:

McBibus

On the Ice
Another clean skate, but not perfect. The 3A and the 3T weren't as smooth at as GPF, so I wasn't that surprised that Aliona scored less than 85, but I was somewhat surprised by how small the PCS gap was between her and Anna/Sasha.

Probably more for the edge than a fanfest, but something is wrong here and I'm not just talking about the difference between Aliona and the other Aces.

Aliona 36.02
Anna 35.17
Sasha 34.42
Alexia Paganini 30.85
Ammi Peltonen 30.91 (4th PCS)
Alessia Tornaghi 26.00 (7th, 14th PCS)

Aliona 36.02 - Anna 35.= 0,85
Aliona - Sasha = 1,60
Sasha - Alexia = 3,56 !!
Sasha - Emmi = 3,51 !!!

Now, you really want to tell that the difference in PCS between Sasha and Emmi is 2 time the difference between Aliona and Sasha?
Consider that Rika, Alina, Zenya, Liza, and Bell where not there.
Ho would you place them in this equation?

Please go and see Emmi's SP https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2JDPPBWMxQ and tell how any of her PCS categories is voted exatly (almost) one vote less than Shasa (example SS 8.71 vs 7.64) because it makes no sense to me.
Why TES = more PCS?!
Why each of the PCS categories is scored about the same for everyone?!
You have to vote on 5 aspects! They could be all extraordinary for the best pcs skater, but moving down we expect strenght and weakness: try and find more that one vote between the 5 elements.

Alessia Tornaghi had good TES but medium PCS.
Is that different?
Not at all: Alessia skated in the morning and her PCS are down because early skaters without reputation are supposed to be weak.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hyxaAZScw
This is from youth olympic yesterday was better imo.

I defend the importance of PCS and I sometime find myself talking with someone who think PCS are fictional and/or they can't see them.
I know thei're wrong but is not easy to defend PCS when they seem awarded by reputation or connected to TES instead of being really evalued.

as I said in my post above, there are times when I wish Aliona would tone it down and behave

WE KNOW YOU'RE LYING!!! :biggrin::ghug:

Fluture

Record Breaker
Already posted in the ladies thread but will repost here too:

I forgot about this moment from yesterday:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7t5SSBo9f5/?igshid=wgd327z02fnu

Aliona was at the small medal ceremony for Men‘s FS and when the public/press was allowed to ask questions; she wanted to ask one as well. If somebody knowledgeable about Russian could correct me, I‘d be grateful but as far as I remember from the translation, she basically congratulated them and also jokingly told Morisi to work harder. Which is just. :rofl:

SkateSkates

Medalist
Aliona had a strong runthru today in practice so I hope she can carry that confidence over to the LP. She seems to be dealing with growth/puberty issues currently so hoping she can make the necessary adjustments between now and worlds so she’s back to looking her confident self in March.

Good luck to our vampire!!

Batsuchan

Medalist
Aliona had a strong runthru today in practice so I hope she can carry that confidence over to the LP. She seems to be dealing with growth/puberty issues currently so hoping she can make the necessary adjustments between now and worlds so she’s back to looking her confident self in March.

Good luck to our vampire!!

Yes, I hope she can carry that clean practice over to the LP! :pray:

It's going to be very tough to skate last, but hopefully she can remember how much fun she had in Finlandia when she skated last! :yes:

GOOO ALIONA GOOOO!!! :hap10: :hap10: :hap10:

Vandevska

U don't have to build the end of the world out it.
Medalist
Yaaaaaaaass yaaaaaaaaass yaaaaaaaaass [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]

Vemvane

On the Ice
Congratulations, Aliona! And she is answering her questions in English - I am in such awe of her, having the presence of mind to give answers in a foreign language after an exciting and tense evening.

McBibus

On the Ice
Congratulations, Aliona! And she is answering her questions in English - I am in such awe of her, having the presence of mind to give answers in a foreign language after an exciting and tense evening.

She's bright as the sun

Vemvane

On the Ice
I loved the generous little gesture Aliona made when she invited Anna and Sasha to stand with her on the highest spot on podium for the anthem. Plus, I shall be looking for a fan cam of the award ceremony, because I need to see the lap of honour, with her and Anna dancing to the music.

McBibus

On the Ice
I loved the generous little gesture Aliona made when she invited Anna and Sasha to stand with her on the highest spot on podium for the anthem. Plus, I shall be looking for a fan cam of the award ceremony, because I need to see the lap of honour, with her and Anna dancing to the music.

The gesture of a gracious winner, but my best moment was when she had Anna (who was barely blocking her tears) to start dancing on the podium with her.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I'm glad that Alena still have some chances for Worlds Gold medal, even though it's worrying how close Alena and Anna are in PCS now, it was Alena's advantage, however, it was not her best performance (same in SP) if she will at her best, I think gap can get bigger. But technically she will have to be perfect. I'm so glad she won though, I hope she will enjoy it and rest <3