Adult Classes At 13? Help! | Golden Skate

Adult Classes At 13? Help!

Ice Wolf

Rinkside
I am currently 13 years old and I started skating about two months ago. I am taking two lessons a week in the Adult classes when the age range is 15 and up. From what I know, there are no levels and I'm actually feeling a little worried. Should I be worried? Everyone there knows more than me and they are mostly in their twenties, but I can't shake the feeling that I won't progress the same way girls in the younger classes will. All of my friends at the ice rink keep asking what level I'm in and I don't know what to tell them except "I don't know." I would switch to the normal Learn-To-Skate program, but I'm afraid I'll get laughed at by all the younger, better girls because I'm so bad. I don't know what to do! Somebody please help me! :sad21:

Hockeyguy

Rinkside
I can't really tell what your situation is but this thing I know: worrying what other skaters around you think is a colossal waste of time and mental energy. Honestly, they don't care how you skate, good or bad. They have their hands full with trying to get better themselves.

If you really are too worried about other people in a group, and you can afford it, try some private lessons at public skates to build your confidence.

I always think of the unwritten rule of the weight section in the gym. Anyone looking at what amount of weight someone else is doing is the fool in the room ( not saying you are a fool but if people around you judge your skating instead of getting better themselves, they are).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Two life lessons for you here straight up, kiddo.

First, there will always be someone better than you (unless you're Evgeni Plushenko). And there will always be someone worse than you. At everything, at every time.

Second, if you spend your whole life worried about what other people think, you will never get anywhere. Stop giving a flying camel.

Oh, and have another piece of advice: Everybody had to start somewhere. Even the champions were once wobbling around the rink as Learn-to-Skate students. No-one just hopped on the ice and started doing triples ever.

I think you should go to the regular learn-to-skate classes. In my experience, a lot of Adult-focused LTS curriculum seem to focus on ice dance, and that may not be what you want to do, which is fair. The other option could be to take private lessons; I did from a very early time in my learning to skate, and I believe it was much more helpful for me than to be in a group environment. Focus on your skating, not on anyone else's.

I was nearly ten years older than you are now when I started learning. Older, and clumsy, and overweight, and inflexible. And nobody's ever laughed at me. (Except when I intentionally tried to make them laugh.)

Ice Wolf

Rinkside
Thanks so much for the advice! The only thing I am still worried about is the levels. I don't even know how they work in adult classes. I could be fine in the place I am, but I would never know what level I was. I don't even know how to test to move up a level when I'm ready.

loopy

Final Flight
A couple years ago a high school student had a teacher challenge them by telling them to do something new. She chose ice skating. She was in the little kid class and worked hard. Sure being 15 in a class with 6 year olds is hard. But turned out awesome - she had a lot of roles in the holiday show and learned to skate. She didn't care what other people said, she was there for herself. If you don't have a coach, you won't be testing. When people ask what level you are, just tell them what you are working on. It's not really anyone's business. If you want to test you can talk to a coach. The testing in skating classes is just to detrine what skills a student knows to see if they are ready for more. The adult classes work on everything and have really mixed levels. It is esy to tell an adult to work on even if it isdifferent for other adults. Little kids have to all kind of do the same stuff.

jf12

Final Flight
For the basic skills, I would think you'd belong in the adult group too. The way ive seen it work for basic skills for little kids is that there isn't much explaining of individual moves, and more games and just following the coach in terms of getting across the ice. Many of the little kids at that level are easily distracted and you might get frustrated. I would think the adult side is more for people who can work on their own, with some technical input from the coach. Later, when you get to freestyle group classes you could rejoin the kids, since those students are generally more serious and will be closer to your age. When your friends ask you about your level, you should just reply with a mature air 'I'm an independent learner, which is why they put me in the adult class' šŸ˜›

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
The Learn to Skate program encompasses ages 4 and up. You should not be in an Adult class. You should be in the Basic ladder which is ages 6/7 to teens.

We're you placed in Adult because there were not enough skaters to form a Basic class at your level?
Sometimes levels also get combined (example Basic 1 & 2, Adult 1 & 2) if there are not enough students signed up.
At my rink, it is very rare that a teen would be placed in an Adult class. However, the skills taught on the ladder are similar. Therefore, you should still be learning the same skills as your teen peers.

You and your parents / guardians need to talk to the Learn to Skate Director at your rink. Something is not right.

jf12

Final Flight
The Learn to Skate program encompasses ages 4 and up. You should not be in an Adult class. You should be in the Basic ladder which is ages 6/7 to teens.

We're you placed in Adult because there were not enough skaters to form a Basic class at your level?
Sometimes levels also get combined (example Basic 1 & 2, Adult 1 & 2) if there are not enough students signed up.
At my rink, it is very rare that a teen would be placed in an Adult class. However, the skills taught on the ladder are similar. Therefore, you should still be learning the same skills as your teen peers.

You and your parents / guardians need to talk to the Learn to Skate Director at your rink. Something is not right.

It isn't that unusual, I've seen learn to skate classes specifically for Teens/Adults. It is usually for ages 13+, though generally you see older teens in it. The idea is that in many areas, the 'kids' basic skills classes are filled with 5-7 year olds, and teens especially might feel awkward doing this, and not start skating at all as a consequence.

Slowpoke

Rinkside
Ice Wolf,

I hear you..... I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I'm 62 and just started at our local LTS. Everyone in my class is either high school or early college, and all are more advanced skaters that I am.

Sam-Skwantch

ā€œI solemnly swear Iā€™m up to no goodā€
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ice Wolf,

I hear you..... I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I'm 62 and just started at our local LTS. Everyone in my class is either high school or early college, and all are more advanced skaters that I am.

That's so awesome to hear!!! Keep on going or as the kids say nowadays.... "You do you" :clapper:

Ice Wolf

Rinkside

Do you really think so?
I've only been skating for a little while and don't really know how to assess this issue. I'm really afraid to talk to the Learn To Skate Director because I was recommended to be put in the adult class by a skating coach intern. I just feel really scared to be compared to the younger girls because I know I'm not good enough to be at their level.

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Do you really think so?
I've only been skating for a little while and don't really know how to assess this issue. I'm really afraid to talk to the Learn To Skate Director because I was recommended to be put in the adult class by a skating coach intern. I just feel really scared to be compared to the younger girls because I know I'm not good enough to be at their level.

YES, I do. It is the goal of the Learn to Skate program, and normally the Skating Directors, to make lessons a fun experience so skaters will stay with and progress in the program ladders.

At 13, you should not be addressing the Skating Director alone. I hope there is an adult in your life that can talk to the Director with you and can help you through this.

From the comments of the other posters I think I work at a rink with an excellent Director as she does not put skaters into situations like this.

cl2

Final Flight
For the basic skills, I would think you'd belong in the adult group too. The way ive seen it work for basic skills for little kids is that there isn't much explaining of individual moves, and more games and just following the coach in terms of getting across the ice. Many of the little kids at that level are easily distracted and you might get frustrated. I would think the adult side is more for people who can work on their own, with some technical input from the coach. Later, when you get to freestyle group classes you could rejoin the kids, since those students are generally more serious and will be closer to your age. When your friends ask you about your level, you should just reply with a mature air 'I'm an independent learner, which is why they put me in the adult class' šŸ˜›

I never thought about it that way, but I quite agree with you. In piano pedagogy, say, it is generally acknowledged that how you teach kids is different from how you teach adults. Adults tend to approach learning in a more analytical way, whereas with kids it's more see-copy-do, because a child's psychology has not yet developed enough for analytical thinking. There is no hard-and-fast rule for what age belongs to which category (the "kids" vs "adult" is a rather arbitrary distinction too, IMO), as long as the skater is mature enough to handle that style of teaching.

IceWolf, I don't think a lack of structured syllabus or levels is necessarily a concern. There are benefits to following a structured syllabus, but not following one also allows you freedom to direct your own learning, provided you know how to formulate your own goals. Have you talked with your coach about your concerns and your goals? Sometimes they may be limited by scheduling or logistics, but it is their professional responsibility to address students' concerns to the best of their ability. You can also ask your fellow adult classmates how they go to where they are. Don't be shy to ask them---everyone loves talking about themselves. ;)

Ice Wolf

Rinkside
I never thought about it that way, but I quite agree with you. In piano pedagogy, say, it is generally acknowledged that how you teach kids is different from how you teach adults. Adults tend to approach learning in a more analytical way, whereas with kids it's more see-copy-do, because a child's psychology has not yet developed enough for analytical thinking. There is no hard-and-fast rule for what age belongs to which category (the "kids" vs "adult" is a rather arbitrary distinction too, IMO), as long as the skater is mature enough to handle that style of teaching.

IceWolf, I don't think a lack of structured syllabus or levels is necessarily a concern. There are benefits to following a structured syllabus, but not following one also allows you freedom to direct your own learning, provided you know how to formulate your own goals. Have you talked with your coach about your concerns and your goals? Sometimes they may be limited by scheduling or logistics, but it is their professional responsibility to address students' concerns to the best of their ability. You can also ask your fellow adult classmates how they go to where they are. Don't be shy to ask them---everyone loves talking about themselves. ;)

I actually have two coaches that I work with for each class I take. One is usually the intern, but knows how to skate just as well as the coach that works there professionally. I've been thinking about getting a part time job in order to save up for private lessons alongside the adult classes so that I have a coach working with me one-on-one. I don't really know if this is the best course of action though.

cashley

Rinkside
I started skating about a year and a half ago. I'm an adult in my 20's and at first I was put in with an adults class. However after the first couple of grades there weren't so many adults so I ended up in the kids class. It was me and a gaggle of 7-10 year olds. Honestly I didn't feel out of place! I actually enjoyed the classes. I found that in group lessons there are always areas that certain people struggle more than others on so no one gets made fun of. I did prefer the lessons with adults however as they tend not to struggle so much with things like left leg vs right leg like the kiddies do so you get more covered overall generally.

Personally I'd go with what you feel most comfortable with. If you wouldn't mind being in with younger kids and want to do levels then go for that! However if you don't mind the adults class stick with that. Ask your coach for a copy of the levels requirements and check things off yourself as you do them so you have an idea what level you are at. Alternatively ask the coach of the adults class if you could possible grade for the levels while sticking in that class - no doubt you'll be covering the same material (just maybe in a mixed up order if they aren't following the syllabus like they do in the kids classes).

If you can have a few private lessons I would very much recommend them as you can learn at your own pace and they really target areas you are struggling with. However group lessons are fine when you are starting out.

Best of luck and enjoy! :)

gkelly

Record Breaker
I see from the flag under your name on this forum that you're in the US. Is that correct?

Different countries may structure their learn-to-skate programs differently.

There are often different programs used at different US rinks. The most common program currently is now called Learn to Skate USA.
https://www.learntoskateusa.com/

Do you see the skills you're working on here?
Basic Skills: https://www.learntoskateusa.com/media/1164/curriculum_basicskills.pdf
Adult: https://www.learntoskateusa.com/media/1323/curriculum_adult.pdf
Freeskate levels of group lessons: https://www.learntoskateusa.com/media/1162/curriculum_freeskate.pdf

The other common program is called Ice Skating Institute (ISI).
The lists of levels and skills are here:
http://www.skateisi.com/site/sub.cfm?content=testing_requirements

These lists would tell you what level skills you're working on and what to expect next.

Some rinks use their own curriculum, grouping things in a different order or combining skills in different patterns.

And yes, sometimes group levels are combined if there aren't enough skaters at the same level to hold a separate class. This is especially true for adults and teen beginners because there are usually fewer skaters in those age groups.

I was once in an adult freestyle class that also included a 14-year-old. She went on to serious private lessons and practice, hoping to become a skating coach. Last I knew, she was skating at the Open Juvenile level (double jumps). She could have started teaching group lessons as soon as she was old enough.

The basics of skating are pretty much the same no matter how they're divided up for group classes. You need to learn one-foot glides and edges and crossovers and three turns and mohawks no matter what exercises your program and your instructor use to teach them. And as you get more advanced, the instruction would get more specific to your personal interests and your personal strengths and weaknesses and learning style, usually through private lessons.

skatemomoftwo

Rinkside
Do not be upset about being in the adult class. This is VERY common . Sometimes not enough teens to make a class. The other reason is would you really want to be in a class with three year olds? You will progress much faster than a child. That is a reason teens are with adults.
As far as what level you are, I would not worry about that right now. As long as you are learning that is really what counts. At some point you will test, but that is different from rink to rink. At lower levels, its not a formal test. You can ask the person who is teaching you if you like. Also as stated above, some rinks are ISI and some are USFSA. I wouldnt worry about people being better than you !
Good luck !

Tavi...

Record Breaker
If adult classes at the OP's rink are anything like those at my rink, I think she'd probably better off in the kids classes.

Our adult classes tend to have students at widely different levels, so the instructor's attention is more divided than it would be in a standard class (where everyone is roughly at the same level). Most of the instructors don't teach to a curriculum, and in fact, sometimes will even ask us what we want to work on. That's fine if you've been skating for years, or are taking private lessons and simply using group lessons as additional ice time. It's not so great for a newbie. I also think that the requirement for kids to test out of one level before they can go on to the next is useful as a progress marker; at my rink, adults aren't required to do this. In addition, the adult curriculum doesn't include spirals, shoot-the-ducks, bunny hops, and other building blocks for freestyle.

FYI I studied music privately for years, and at this point am fully capable of self-directed learning in skating. But I still find the lack of structure in adult classes frustrating at times. In fact, I'd say that my experience studying music at a high level has made me expect more from skating instructors. I think it's expected that a private coach won't teach to a curriculum, because he or she is assessing and teaching to an individual student's needs. But I personally don't think it's so great in group classes. A 13-year old beginner is unlikely to be able to direct her own learning right away - she doesn't even know yet what skills exist. At least initially, I think she needs structure - or a private coach.

One last thing: I find it odd that it was a "skating intern" who put the OP in the adult class. At my rink, that's done by the skating director. OP, as someone else suggested, I think you should ask your parents/ guardian to talk to the skating director about which class you should be in.

jf12

Final Flight
I forgot to add - why not try a couple of the kids classes to see what you prefer?

loopy

Final Flight
We don't have skating interns - we have a list of classes and ages and you sign yourself for the class based on age/and your last class reccomendation. Then after completing a session, the coach determines if you repeat or continue on. I just checked the nearest 5 rinks (all inrelated) and all of their adult classes are for age 17 and up. Ages 16 to 6 are regular and under six are tot classes. Review the sign up materials with your parent and talk to the actual skating director to make sure you are in the correct class.