What is Eteri's secret? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What is Eteri's secret?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
It's well known that I don't much care for Daleman's skating. She does not flutz, at worst she rolls onto a flat as she takes off, after having pressed on a clear outside edge at the start of the takeoff. Provide video evidence to the contrary or stop talking nonsense, because she's never had a problem with that.

noidont

Final Flight
Disagree. I have nothing against Eteri's skaters but I do think the programs this season are not of the best quality. Evgenia's Russian dance was my favorite junior program of that season, so was her Umbrella of Cherbourg the season next. Tsurskaya's Chess was also interesting. That GoT program I don't find it as great as people say probably because I was pretty sick of all the miming. But Trusova, Tarakanova and Panenkova's programs this season are certainly among the least considered her team has ever produced, whereas Gubanova and Fedickina showed up with gorgeous programs that they truly performed every note of. I think in at least CH PE and IN judges should really separate the program from skating. Trusova skated well, but without the jumps her programs are forgettable. Gubanova fell a few times but I still find her "Nocturnal Animals" FS mesmerizing.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

Yes, as I said, a flat edge. This video claims she is on an inside edge just because her leg is bent to the inside and it freezes on very blurry moments. Her lutz edge has probably gotten less solidly on the outside the more she's continued to work on correcting her flip edge, but it's not at the point where it would deserve to be called. Especially nowhere close to an "e" call, as this video tries to purport. I watched a couple other videos from that user to see what their objective is, and mainly they just don't know what they are talking about, making really inane calls about where jumps start (and not paying attention at all to where the skate leaves the ice) for determining jump rotations.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Disagree. I have nothing against Eteri's skaters but I do think the programs this season are not of the best quality. Evgenia's Russian dance was my favorite junior program of that season, so was her Umbrella of Cherbourg the season next. Tsurskaya's Chess was also interesting. That GoT program I don't find it as great as people say probably because I was pretty sick of all the miming. But Trusova, Tarakanova and Panenkova's programs this season are certainly among the least considered her team has ever produced, whereas Gubanova and Fedickina showed up with gorgeous programs that they truly performed every note of. I think in at least CH PE and IN judges should really separate the program from skating. Trusova skated well, but without the jumps her programs are forgettable. Gubanova fell a few times but I still find her "Nocturnal Animals" FS mesmerizing.

Trusova's SP is lovely, and i think for a senior skater that would be an Olympic program worthy.

Her free is a little more bland (though the elements to receive good components are still there), but probably that's intentional due to the insane technical difficulty.

Grin

Medalist
Highly disagreed. On what basis to do you hold this opinion? She even finished 10th at Junior Worlds, LOL. That does not show her being ahead in the least. Perhaps you can say before her injury she was showing more consistency, but that's exactly what I've been talking about the whole time - these Russian girls use ways to cheat aspects of the jumps, such that they gain consistency at the cost of quality. In addition to the things I already talked about above with her jumps, Tsurskaya's landings are not all the way backwards and she lands with a noticeable clunk on many of them. She twists her upper body into the jumps, rather than purely jumping them.

We were discussing technic and constitution of Eteri's skaters. I suppose, two skaters aren't enough to prevent you from pushing that "small girl" Eteri's standard narrative?
Placing isn't always go together with superb technic. Otherwise Med has best tech atm. Tsurskaya's technic in my opinion is miles and miles ahead of any US or Canadian top ladies OGM contenders. That is why another your narrative (all Eteri's girls have bad technic) looks like exaggeration. In my eyes landing with a clunk is better than flutz, UR or other serious flaws of US and Canadian top ladies.

Hannah555

Ava artwork by talented ShampooNeko
Final Flight
Yes, as I said, a flat edge. This video claims she is on an inside edge just because her leg is bent to the inside and it freezes on very blurry moments. Her lutz edge has probably gotten less solidly on the outside the more she's continued to work on correcting her flip edge, but it's not at the point where it would deserve to be called. Especially nowhere close to an "e" call, as this video tries to purport. I watched a couple other videos from that user to see what their objective is, and mainly they just don't know what they are talking about, making really inane calls about where jumps start (and not paying attention at all to where the skate leaves the ice) for determining jump rotations.

Try to be objective. I think that Daleman is a very strong skater. She's one of my favorite's and I really see her as an olympic medalist.

But she really changes her edge at the last minute to an inside edge on lutz. I'm not on your side by calling this technique "cheating". But you seem to be very concerned about Eteri's skaters and obsessed with every their jump and "blind" when it comes to other skaters. You can watch her Worlds programs in HQ and slow down and you see it very clearly.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
I disagree completely that Daleman's and Osmond's lutz is better than Panenkova: they have wrong edge, Daleman pre-rotates the same angle as Panenkova, height and length are visually the same.

Kim's lutz was better but it was long time ago. Tukt's lutz is no better because she cannot jump it consistently. If the whole program of Panenkova was about jumping 1 lutz, I am sure it could be bigger and even better. The trick is to do it consistently during the transition packed program.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's well known that I don't much care for Daleman's skating. She does not flutz, at worst she rolls onto a flat as she takes off, after having pressed on a clear outside edge at the start of the takeoff. Provide video evidence to the contrary or stop talking nonsense, because she's never had a problem with that.

Excuse me. I'd rather you disagree with us kindly than say that we're "talking nonsense". Thank you

Tutto

Record Breaker
I believe there is also a physical issue with boys, though you could attribute it to lack of patience as well in a way. Eteri's method is if a skater makes a mistake on a jump, they get to repeat it over and over till they get it right. It seems that once it comes to boys and quads, this stands a good chance of overloading one's back. The load requires a more careful dosing and distribution. Eteri also seems to prefer making skaters work really hard on jumps on the ice to more intensive off-ice training. Which also might not be as well-suited to boys and quads.

The main reason (as was discussed many times already in other threads) is that there is not enough boys coming in FS, the parents prefer hockey and football for boys. Plushenko in a very recent interview said that he has 90% of girls and only 10% of boys in his school.
Eteri system is based on picking up the best (both technically & mentally), the large pool of girls in Russia provides that she gets the very BEST. Then she puts them onto already proved to be successful conveyor belt - vola!
She simply can't do the same with boys, the weak material requires a lot of individual attention, patience & work hence the result - Eteri has no success with boys

Grin

Medalist
The main reason (as was discussed many times already in other threads) is that there is not enough boys coming in FS, the parents prefer hockey and football for boys. Plushenko in a very recent interview said that he has 90% of girls and only 10% of boys in his school.
Eteri system is based on picking up the best (both technically & mentally), the large pool of girls in Russia provides that she gets the very BEST. Then she puts them onto already proved to be successful conveyor belt - vola!
She simply can't do the same with boys, the weak material requires a lot of individual attention, patience & work hence the result - Eteri has no success with boys

As far as I remember, Eteri said once that if she had a son, she would sent him to hockey.
In my opinion, she has 2 promising boys, but we probably won't see outstanding result from them in 4-5 years.

Barb

Record Breaker
Eteri is great, i love her more than I love her students, but what did Russia do? they had Liza T., Adelina, Elena R., and all the Eteri girls. Russia started to promote figure skating in some way among the population? they went to schools, offered scholarships, started promoting it more on TV?, it was because of Sochi olympics?

Grin

Medalist
Eteri is great, i love her more than I love her students, but what did Russia do? they had Liza T., Adelina, Elena R., and all the Eteri girls. Russia started to promote figure skating in some way among the population? they went to schools, offered scholarships, started promoting it more on TV?, it was because of Sochi olympics?
More than 20 rinks were built in Russia in recent years. And talented skaters have support from RU FED. For example, Alina Zagitova's family isn't wealthy at all. In the US she wouldn't have any chance to become figure skater.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
As far as I remember, Eteri said once that if she had a son, she would sent him to hockey.
In my opinion, she has 2 promising boys, but we probably won't see outstanding result from them in 4-5 years.

She had one of the most promising boys in all of Russia, but she ruined him. We'll see how it goes with Ilia and Egor. And actually, I think Alexei Erokhov has a lot of nice qualities, but I'm not sure he gets enough attention to develop the performance side. I hope he will be improved on the JGP this season.

Grin

Medalist
She had one of the most promising boys in all of Russia, but she ruined him. We'll see how it goes with Ilia and Egor. And actually, I think Alexei Erokhov has a lot of nice qualities, but I'm not sure he gets enough attention to develop the performance side. I hope he will be improved on the JGP this season.

Looking at her girls I think Eteri has made some changes to her appoach since Yulia left her. Hope she'll be able to find a way to train superb male skaters.

Tutto

Record Breaker
More than 20 rinks were built in Russia in recent years. And talented skaters have support from RU FED. For example, Alina Zagitova's family isn't wealthy at all. In the US she wouldn't have any chance to become figure skater.

Lots of girls (and their parents) were inspired by early success of Adelina & Liza T, and the Yulia's phenomenal success in Sochi cemented FS as one of the most popular choices for girls. Note: not everyone gets funding, at the beginning parents pay for everything. You need to show results before you get some support

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

Can we stop this please? There are no proves on this one.

Evgenia Medvedeva was far less promising than Elena Radionova, Alexandra Proklova, Maria Sotskova, Serafima Sakhanovich, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Julia Lipnitskaia, and many others.

There are videos of Alina Zagitova as a novice skater and she wasn't great either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybjqWLP7R8

Sometimes Eteri picks other skaters who are already good (Serafima Sakhanovich, Anastasiia Tarakanova), but most of her successes come from skaters improved with her, and not skater who were already amazing.

She hasn't found a way to teach properly a boy, but it is more a mental thing as she said in the press conference: All their male skaters aren't fierce competitors like their girls, they make a mistake and then they lose confidence. It did happen with Adian Pitkeev, and it is happening now with Alexei Erokhov, Ilya Skirda and Nika Egadze.

Although we should say that despite everything what she accomplished with Adian Pitkeev in juniors (and what he could have been in seniors) and with Sergei Voronov in seniors are still today some of the best results from the russians in men figure skating in the past few years.

Also Moris Kvitelashvili can still fight for medals in the GP circuit if he becomes consistent, and Alexei Erokhov is still one of the few russians in juniors able to land quad toes.

Tutto

Record Breaker
Can we stop this please? There are no proves on this one.

Evgenia Medvedeva was far less promising than Elena Radionova, Alexandra Proklova, Maria Sotskova, Serafima Sakhanovich, Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, Julia Lipnitskaia, and many others.

There are videos of Alina Zagitova as a novice skater and she wasn't great either.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lybjqWLP7R8

Sometimes Eteri picks other skaters who are already good (Serafima Sakhanovich, Anastasiia Tarakanova), but most of her successes come from skaters improved with her, and not skater who were already amazing.

She hasn't found a way to teach properly a boy, but it is more a mental thing as she said in the press conference: All their male skaters aren't fierce competitors like their girls, they make a mistake and then they lose confidence. It did happen with Adian Pitkeev, and it is happening now with Alexei Erokhov, Ilya Skirda and Nika Egadze.

Although we should say that despite everything what she accomplished with Adian Pitkeev in juniors (and what he could have been in seniors) and with Sergei Voronov in seniors are still today some of the best results from the russians in men figure skating in the past few years.

Also Moris Kvitelashvili can still fight for medals in the GP circuit if he becomes consistent, and Alexei Erokhov is still one of the few russians in juniors able to land quad toes.

Well, you seem to know more than Eteri herself who openly admits that she has failed with boys so far

Grin

Medalist
Well, you seem to know more than Eteri herself who openly admits that she has failed with boys so far

In Soviet times anything but 1st place was considered a failure. Eteri probably shares that point of view. But her boys are still very competitive in Russia and abroad.