Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Tchernyshev to apply for Canadian Citizenship

dmr65

On the Ice
Very Off Topic:

I think the beauty of FS forums is that most of the people on them, are from all different backgrounds and colors, but we can openly speak to or be with each other as one. So to say..

I hope that made sense... :eek:

Denise... :D

terisalyn said:
RE: Joesitz' comment about Naomi's "tribal family" taking care of the baby while she skates, I am finally speechless! She doesn't live on the Rez, you know...

Don't be speechless, please. You're on Golden Skate. :)

Naomi may not live in the "Rez" as you call it but she is highly touted by the Native American population. The original remark implied that she did not have resources for dealing with raising the baby and yes, coninuing her love (like Peter) for skating. I just don't buy that. I don't know what the position of Naomi is right now on continuing skating. Snippets from old remarks and press agents, for what they are worth, may not have told the whole story. Certainly she can not skate with Peter anymore. But there is no necessity to put the whole brunt of the split between them on her doorstep.

Joe

Last edited:

terisalyn

Rinkside
LOL, don't worry, I don't think I've ever REALLY been speechless in my life.

I don't think the original remark implied that she didn't have the resources to leave the baby and travel to compete. I find it hard to imagine that she, as a new mother, would WANT someone else to care for her new daughter while she trains and competes. (I wouldn't want to leave her to go to the next room!) It's not just traveling to competitions, there are lots of training hours involved. Not to mention the need for good sleep during training - something which is usually in short supply around an infant :D Add to that the fact that Naomi's enthusiasm for competition doesn't seem to be there anymore, as per several direct quotes from interviews, and I can't blame Peter for wanting to try a last run at the OGM with another partner.

OF COURSE, no-one knows what's going through any of the skaters' minds - that should be a standard generic disclaimer on any fan message board. :sheesh:

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Joe,

You have neither "miffed" nor "offended" me. I just didn't understand the comment and asked for an explanation. I don't mean to belabor the point, but I think one of us is completely misunderstanding what the other (or *others*) is saying.

I don't see anyone here assigning "fault" for Peter and Naomi breaking up, only exchanging information concerning statements that have been published by their mutual agent or broadcast on television. We have no idea if this gives us an accurate picture of the whole story. What we do know is that Naomi is on record as saying she had gotten "burned out" and was "discouraged" with competition and needed a "break," but I don't think anyone here is crediting her alone with the decision to split. Since the official announcement came from their mutual agent, it would appear to me that it was a mutual decision. Peter didn't say, "I'm leaving her," and Naomi didn't say, "I'm leaving him." If their agent doesn't have the authority to speak for them, who does other than each one making individual announcements?

I also don't see where anyone has even hinted that Naomi doesn't have the "resources" for dealing with a baby and skating at the same time. I think I might have been just about the only one to comment on this, and again, what I said was, "Would Naomi leave her baby in the care of others while she trains and practices? I don't know Naomi so I can't really answer that, but she has always impressed me as someone who holds family as important to her. I would be a little surprised if she abdicated this responsibility to someone else." Not a word about resources. You said, “Naomi leaving her baby alone to skate. That sort of thing was the way we were Nowadays, Nanis and baby sitters as well Au Peres are quite plentiful and certaintly Naomi's tribal family would see to it that the baby was well taken cared for" and "Suddenly posters are saying that she won't leave her baby for skating."

Thank you for your explanation about your "ethnicity" comment. It seemed to me that you might have been saying that those people who were "sticking up" for Peter were doing so because they shared an ethnic background with him. While I know some who do this, support an individual not for who they are or what they do but because of where they come from, please rest assured that this is not the case with me. I love and support the skaters who I think are talented and who touch me on an emotional level. It might not be the proper criteria, but it's mine and has nothing to do with where the skater came from or what their ethnicity is.

Perhaps living several different places growing up has made me a little less sensitive to where I live as opposed to who I live with. I do agree with what appears to be the majority here that rules should not be broken or circumvented for athletes or "special" people. I have no problem with speeding up a process, as long as it's legal and the same criteria is used for all.

In an ideal world, we would never be having this discussion and Peter and Naomi would still be skating together. I loved watching the two of them and wish things had turned out differently, but for whatever reason, it didn't. I don't know that Naomi wants, I haven't seen anything from her concerning her future plans, but I do know that Peter wants to continue skating so I give him what support in this decision as I can and hope for the best for him.

Nan

Last edited:
Nan - We are not so far apart. I did feel, however, that the comments about Naomi were more pooh pooh, than needed to be because Peter is what we care about. I think I became sad about their breakup. And I still think there is more to be said about the split but we will probably never know much more.

Oh yes, I wrote that the original remark IMPLIED that she did not have resources. I did not quote 'resources' as anyone's word but my own. A bit strong perhaps, but, again the comments by others seemed to think she SHOULD stay with the baby. I keep thinking of all those show biz and athletes with families who travel world wide and do not have a problem with taking their kids with them or finding someone reliable to watch them. Just my thoughts and my caring for Naomi as well as Peter in the split.

Joe

Last edited:
S

SkateFan4Life

Zanzibar said:
Here's the link from Skate Canada spokespeople making it official - Peter Tchernyshev will apply for Canadian citizenship so that he and Shae can compete and represent Canada in the 2006 Winter Olympics.

http://www.canada.com/sports/skating/story.html?id=FC961E96-CA07-4009-B887-7AA45E051C71

If I recall this correctly, Tchernyshev gave at least one lengthy interview in which he expounded on the "honor and privilege" of obtaining United States citizenship.
There were references to liberty, freedom of expression, opportunity, and a number of the other aspects of being an American. And now, that Naomi Lang has left the sport and he needs a partner - presto (!) - a change of allegience.

So much for the "virtues of American citizenship". All this guy cares about is grabbing opportunity for himself. :(

And what happens if his partnership with Shae-Lynn dissolves and he joins up with, say, a Japanese ice dancer. Will he attempt to obtain Japanese citizenship.

Quite frankly, I think Shae-Lynn has won enough honors as an eligible skater.
Peter, too, has had many opportunities as an eligible skater. There are plenty of talented, young Canadian ice dance teams that are comprised of Canadian citizens. Give these young people the chance to skate!!

Give me a break. :mad:

pennyfromheaven

On the Ice
ITA SkateFan...if you read my other posts however you will see that I said my sources clearly state that Naomi has not willingly left the sport nor has she willingly retired. She very much wants to begin skating with Peter again and wants to go to Torino. She did not end the partnership as the media proclaimed. HE is the one who ended the partnership, just as he is the one who ended his marriage and his other partnership with Sopia Eliazova. He was not in need of a partner when he paired up with Shae as the media and his agent would like us to believe, he still has an American partner who wants to skate. Yes SkateFan I have to say I also agree with what you posted that what he cares about is grabbing opportunity for himself, and if after SL he should find a Japanese partner, he would certainly be trying to become a Japanese citizen next! Well now it sounds as if I am bashing him, that was not my intent! Just trying to clarify. I do enjoy his skating by the way!

Linny

Final Flight
Different sources

Perhaps Penny has different sources. I'm just going by what was televised on USA tv - Naomi said that she had left skating and returned because her fans encouraged her to.

And as far as the comment "And what happens if his partnership with Shae-Lynn dissolves and he joins up with, say, a Japanese ice dancer. Will he attempt to obtain Japanese citizenship", well, blame the stupid rules, not the skater.

Linny

terisalyn

Rinkside
pennyfromheaven said:
HE is the one who ended the partnership, just as he is the one who ended his marriage and his other partnership with Sopia Eliazova. ..... Well now it sounds as if I am bashing him, that was not my intent! Just trying to clarify. I do enjoy his skating by the way!

And if it sounds like I'm bashing Naomi, that's not my intent - but SHE is the one who missed the 2002 season due to her ankle, then didn't get it taken care of after the COI tour. Just as she is the one who decided to take a break from competing for the 2003 season, then decided just weeks before Nationals to come back on her still-untreated ankle. And just as SHE is the one who took a "maternity leave" this summer! I'm not faulting these choices - it is her life to do with as she wishes, but certainly she can't expect her partner to put his career on hold indefinitely when obviously her heart isn't 100% into competing like his seems to be.

We all make choices in life, and some choices rule out other things. As nice as it would be to be able to "have it all," it usually isn't possible.

CanuckSk8r

Rinkside
I agree with terisalyn....

With Naoimi chosing to not take care of her body as necessary to be a top athlete and then chosing to start a family, how long is Peter supposed to wait for her to chose to come back?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Has anyone considered that maybe what Peter was aiming for all along was an Olympic medal, and that Naomi recognized that it wasn't going to happen? Maybe Naomi just got burnt out after concentrating on nothing but skating for 6 years and then being passed at 4CC and Worlds by a younger team (B/A). Maybe what was a life's dream for him had become the impossible dream for her.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
chuckm said:
Has anyone considered that maybe what Peter was aiming for all along was an Olympic medal, and that Naomi recognized that it wasn't going to happen? Maybe Naomi just got burnt out after concentrating on nothing but skating for 6 years and then being passed at 4CC and Worlds by a younger team (B/A). Maybe what was a life's dream for him had become the impossible dream for her.
I think the point is that it doesn't matter what Lang was thinking or feeling or wanting; it was her behavior -- injury not taken care of, pregnancy -- that showed that she wasn't committed to an Olympic run, and Tchernyshev is doing what he needs to do to get there.

As I stated so many times, I am not against Peter for changing his citizenship in search of gold. That is his business and the business of Canadian immigration.

I take issue with all this nonsense about the fault of the split lies soley with Naomi. She's not the first skater to get pregnant, and there have been skaters who resume skating afterwards. I believe some posters feel that Peter must be protected from those who think that he should share in the split; that he is above reproach for changing citizenship; that he is a victim of life's happenings. That is the way I read some of these posts. Much of what is said is pure conjecture, imo.

I can conject too, I think Peter knew all about the pregnancy long before the Nats and since he knew that B/A were on their tails, a story about the ankle was made up. He knew as well as she that their partnership was over, He knew he needed what he perceived as a better partner, but it was too late to eliminate the Nats. His plan to take up citizenship in Canada began when he had a discussion with SL. Others knew about it too, and thought it was purely for SOI. Then came the citizenship thing which is not required for show people. hmmm.

I think the above is as valid as all the nonesense I read about Naomi. Bottom Line: No one knows what transpired before Nats, during Nats, after Nats. We can only assume and protect Peter from any wrong doing. Just blame Naomi for the whole change of partners. Why not? This topic will be over when the big stuff starts.

Joe

Last edited:

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
I take issue with all this nonsense about the fault of the split lies soley with Naomi. She's not the first skater to get pregnant, and there have been skaters who resume skating afterwards. I believe some posters feel that Peter must be protected from those who think that he should share in the split; that he is above reproach for changing citizenship; that he is a victim of life's happenings.
I don't see why there's any fault involved. Like any other relationship, if both partners don't want the same thing and don't show the same commitment through their actions, it's up to each person to decide whether s/he wants in or out, and if both don't agree to be in, there is no partnership. It is certainly Lang's right to have a baby whenever she wants to, to have or not have surgery whenever she wants to, or to want or to not want to skate with Tchernyshev any more, and it's certainly Tchernyshev's right to decide what he wants for himself for whatever reason, and for Bourne to decide whether he's worthy of her trust.

hockeyfan228 said:
I don't see why there's any fault involved. Like any other relationship, if both partners don't want the same thing and don't show the same commitment through their actions, it's up to each person to decide whether s/he wants in or out, and if both don't agree to be in, there is no partnership. It is certainly Lang's right to have a baby whenever she wants to, to have or not have surgery whenever she wants to, or to want or to not want to skate with Tchernyshev any more, and it's certainly Tchernyshev's right to decide what he wants for himself for whatever reason, and for Bourne to decide whether he's worthy of her trust.

I go along with everything you say except what I read as an implication here:

or to want or to not want to skate with Tchernyshev any more

I don't think she ever said she does not want to skate with Tchernyshev anymore. If that is the supposition, then we could easily say that Tchernyshev does not want to skate with Naomi anymore as well. That's my point we don't know the whole story. We are, imo, too excited about Peter dancing with an Olympic Gold medalist, and we don't want to know the whole story. If a question of Naomi comes up, we just find her at fault.

Peter can do what he wants. Posters have a right to question the method, but I would suggest we leave the rationale for the split alone.

Joe

Last edited:

euterpe

Medalist
Joesitz: "We are, imo, too excited about Peter dancing with an Olympic Gold medalist"

Shae is not even an Olympic medalist, let alone GOLD.

terisalyn

Rinkside
Joesitz said:
I think Peter knew all about the pregnancy long before the Nats...

Since the baby was born in August, that would be quite a trick...and I assume you haven't been following L&T's careers in the news these past few years, since the story of Naomi's ankle injury has been in the news since it first caused them to withdraw from the GP in 2002. That's hardly conjecture. Nowhere in my posts have I presumed to say that I knew what the skaters were thinking, or that I know what's gone on between them. Anything I've said has been reported in the media by reputable sources, or stated either by Naomi or Peter in interviews. (And yes, I know how info is "spun" sometimes.)

My post was in response to penniesfromheaven, who seems to think that Peter should have sat out this spring and summer waiting for Naomi to give birth and then decide whether she wanted to continue skating. I think that's an unreasonable expectation, whether that's what Naomi expected, or whether it's just what penniesfromheaven THINKS it's what Naomi expected. (OK, now I'm even confusing myself...)

Joe, dear, it's not about blame. There is no "fault of the split" to assign to either partner. I don't "blame" either of them for making decisions that reflect what they choose to do with their lives. Everyone does that. And if your partner and you don't agree on the direction you should be heading, you split and find another partner.

I am a big fan of Naomi AND Peter. While I'd love to see both of them skate, and prefer to see them skate together, whatever they choose to do is OK by me. And as far as the jumping citizenship issue goes, visit over at FSU. Sometimes when I'm over there, I forget that USA and Canada are two different countries!

diver chick

On the Ice
Exactly! Plus it is my understanding that they did not have the easiest of partnerships in the first place - making it even more likely that they both contributed to the split.