2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

Ilvskating

Final Flight
Till now noone has confirmed that they are really planning to show the Quad. It is not unlikely but a very big risk. Their salchow throw and twist is not as big as it was before Sui's injury. So it will be not easy to make is save. Remember that the salchow solo jump is usually their issue. Planning two unsecure elements in a program is often too much.

Nevertheless it is the same story with Savchenko. She wants this 3ATh and my feeling is that she will go for it in then SP.

Any source about S/H planning for the throw quad?thanks!

QuadThrow

Medalist
Any source about S/H planning for the throw quad?thanks!

Noone knows. But it is a huge rist since their 3STh does not look as big as three years ago. And so does the twist. I am still suprised that they gain the full four revolutions at this element.

yqs100

On the Ice
Noone knows. But it is a huge rist since their 3STh does not look as big as three years ago. And so does the twist. I am still suprised that they gain the full four revolutions at this element.

they slightly changed the throw technics, thats why it is not as big as before, but all of these is to prepare for the quad. The chinese throw technics aims for huge throw, however, it hurts the female skater a lot on the landing. Now I can see the chinese pairs' throws are not as big as before, but it is still better than average.

and their twist is same as before, last year world's quad twist is far way better than previous ones.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
I really wanted the creative and super fun pair team, A/R to make it to Olympics by beating Nina Mozer's third yet most boring Russian team in the field, E/Z. E/Z earned their spot rightfully at Nationals, so I accepted the fact that A/R is not gonna be Olympians. However, what a twist of fate, they are invited to the Olympics by IOC as their are the alternate team in place for Stolbova not going to the Olympics. :palmf:

I never imagined of such a dramatic and upside-down scenario and finally started liking Stolbova/Klimov, so can let go the Sochi nightmare as a big fan of Savchenko and Szolkowy. Stolbova not in the Olympic team means well, as a selfish pair fan myself, the contention for the pair medals will be much less exciting. Moreover, the chance that S/K beat Tarasova/Morozov with Ksenia's charismatic skates in my wish is totally gone although realistically speaking their chance for the medals are not foreseeable as she tends to miss her jumps a lot. Regardless, how much disappointing and devastating it must be for the skaters themselves and long-time St/Kl fans.

LadyB

Record Breaker
Regardless, how much disappointing and devastating it must be for the skaters themselves and long-time St/Kl fans.

You're absolutely right. I cannot even begin to imagine how their hearts must be broken and how devastated they must feel. Made worse by the fact that we still haven't heard any proper explanation as to why Ksenia is excluded. That is so bang out of order, it makes me furious! Imagine, you lose your job without your boss telling you why!!! :furious:

Let's see what happens over the next two or three days as legal proceedings are on their way in Switzerland and the IOC said a final statement would be released on the 30th or 31st of Jan.
Needless to say, my excitement for Olympics has taken a severe blow. :palmf:

LadyB

Record Breaker
So hang on, are Stolbova/Klimov out for good? Why? How? I still don't understand...

We still have to wait on that. Ksenia & Ivan Bukin have launched legal proceedings with the Sport Arbitration Court in Switzerland. The final verdict is, according to the IOC, expected either tomorrow or the day after.

The IOC has of yet not identified what the real reasons behind the exclusion of Ksenia and Ivan from the invitiation list is. They only said, it does not mean they'd been in the doping programme. This makes it all the more weird why they are being accused, as nobody has a clue what they are being accused of. :sad21:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
We still have to wait on that. Ksenia & Ivan Bukin have launched legal proceedings with the Sport Arbitration Court in Switzerland. The final verdict is, according to the IOC, expected either tomorrow or the day after.

The IOC has of yet not identified what the real reasons behind the exclusion of Ksenia and Ivan from the invitiation list is. They only said, it does not mean they'd been in the doping programme. This makes it all the more weird why they are being accused, as nobody has a clue what they are being accused of. :sad21:

Well we know it was something doping-related because they did release the list of things they were looking at when making decisions about athletes. It just didn't mean that they'd actually been caught doping, since the list included stuff like missing tests, your name being in one of the doping database things they found, etc. And I guess it's possible for example that a person's name was in the database but they hadn't actually doped, but it casts a lot of suspicion and since the IOC didn't have to let any athlete compete, that could be enough.

LadyB

Record Breaker
And I guess it's possible for example that a person's name was in the database but they hadn't actually doped, but it casts a lot of suspicion and since the IOC didn't have to let any athlete compete, that could be enough.
Yeah, you probably put that better than me. But that's exactly what I mean. Having actually doped or somehow the sample seemed not totally clear to the investigators is a different issue to me. Apparently to the IOC as well, as their explanation suggests, which you just pointed out as well.
Lots of stuff can turn up in your bodily fluids that look like shouldn't be there, but can have entered without any malicious intend. That needs to be taken into account as well. So, I hope the IOC has Ksenia's and Ivan's health records and a list of everything they are taking/having taken for various reasons. :pray:

lavoix

Match Penalty

Thank you - it's such a frustrating waiting game. Knowing Ksenia's diva-esque personality, she'd kill Thomas Bach if she ever bumped in to him.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
^ Unfortunately, I don't think the IOC's decision on the exclusion of Stolbova and Bukin from the Olympics is likely to be lifted in this very short period of time. They will take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland, but the time is running out for them to participate in the Olympics anyway. The IOC would not pull this stunt without any foundation just to punish Russian skaters by random due to the Russian doping scandal. The rationale is still ambiguous to the public and media but that seems to protect the athletics in question from any allegation.

Kittosuni

Medalist
World Ranking/ Olympics Grouping

Tarazova/Morozov
Savchenko/Massot
Duhamel/Radford
Zabijako/Enbert
((Stolbova/Klimov))
Sui/Han
James/Cipres

Marchei/Hotarek
Della Monica/Guarise
Yu/Shang
Seguin/Bilodeau
Knierims
Asthokova/Rogonov

Alexandrovskaya/Windsor
Ziegler/Kiefer
Moore-Towers/Marinaro
Peng/Jin
Duskova/Bidar
Suto/Boudreau-Audet

zebobes

Final Flight
With 22 pairs in the Olympic Short program, how will they decide on the warm up groups? Will they have 6 warm up groups, and put the two Korean teams in that warm up?

I think it's cool that this year will have two extra pairs in the Olympics... considering how high caliber the pairs competition is, it really doesn't hurt to let in a few more teams.

Nika09

On the Ice
6 pairs in each warm group? It"s gonna to be pretty crowded and tough during practice.