2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

tzazu

Medalist
Aljona wants a new SP for the Olympics. She wants to create new programs every season and is not comfortable with jusst going back to the old stuff.

But the finals decision is not made yet. That man is still possible.

:thank: On one hand, I want to see a new great program, on the other, I like That Man, so lets wait and see:biggrin:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Right?! I'm anticipating them skating to Khia next year... :slink:

They really need to revise that program or at least the styling - it would be an absolute travesty if S/H and S/M bombed and the Olympic champs were THAT. I can't imagine they're not simply trolling the figure skating world at this point and out-tacky Kulik's giraffe Rhapsody number.

Kinda amusing that North Americans have historically been criticized for tacky "westernized" programs with campy choreo, but the moment T/M do that, they're like "it's showing great charisma and personality!" :laugh:

T/M are always bland so I am starting to think that the issue is not in their music or their choreography but in themselves ... but again this is also a matter of the choreographer to bring out "it" from them, whatever it is that could be compelling. That having said their LP still absolutely makes me cringe this year, and I thought it cannot be worse than what they were going with last season. They just don't pull it off, albeit I've seen some progress from Evgenia at Russian Nationals as far as sass is considered. Still that whole mish-mash of songs with Screamtina Aguilera hollering about ''panty drop'' and ''cherry pop'' makes me uneasy just to listen to.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Aljona and Bruno withdrew from Euros.

They want keep on working on their program and technic.

It is a pity but understandable. In moscow T/M score will go through the roof and it would be a bad sign to loose against them.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

It is a pity but understandable. In moscow T/M score will go through the roof and it would be a bad sign to loose against them.

:(

lappo

Final Flight

This are the kind of things that make me question why I still follow FS...I mean, T/M are clearly very, very talented on the TES side but they can't hold a candle (yet) to queen Aljiona and Massot on the interpretation side and their LP is just embarassing. Provided they are both clean, there wouldn't be contest yet they are basically forced to withdraw not to lose momentum...this is just sad. :(

QuadThrow

Medalist
This are the kind of things that make me question why I still follow FS...I mean, T/M are clearly very, very talented on the TES side but they can't hold a candle (yet) to queen Aljiona and Massot on the interpretation side and their LP is just embarassing. Provided they are both clean, there wouldn't be contest yet they are basically forced to withdraw not to lose momentum...this is just sad. :(

It is just a part of my speculation. Remember Euros 2010 in Tallinn. Aljona and Robin did some mistakes and lost against Kawaguchi/Smirnov although the Russian's FP (with mistakes) was just rediculous at all. Euros are usually very Russian friendly because east Europe consists of so many countries which are all allowed to send a judge.

lappo

Final Flight
On the other hand, I haven't seen it posted yet but D/R are going back to their "Hometown glory" program (which is good, IMO).

bobbob

Medalist
On the other hand, I haven't seen it posted yet but D/R are going back to their "Hometown glory" program (which is good, IMO).

Makes sense to me...I have been saying since the start of the season that their watered down Muse program was not doing them any favors. Let's hope they don't water down the Hometown Glory program too.

In other news, does anyone have any videos of how Sui/Han are doing with their quad? Their ability to land it could be the deciding factor between them and S/M.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Makes sense to me...I have been saying since the start of the season that their watered down Muse program was not doing them any favors. Let's hope they don't water down the Hometown Glory program too.

In other news, does anyone have any videos of how Sui/Han are doing with their quad? Their ability to land it could be the deciding factor between them and S/M.

Till now noone has confirmed that they are really planning to show the Quad. It is not unlikely but a very big risk. Their salchow throw and twist is not as big as it was before Sui's injury. So it will be not easy to make is save. Remember that the salchow solo jump is usually their issue. Planning two unsecure elements in a program is often too much.

Nevertheless it is the same story with Savchenko. She wants this 3ATh and my feeling is that she will go for it in then SP.

Step Sequence4

JULLLIEEEEETTTT!
Final Flight
Just out of curiosity if everyone skates clean would it be T/M or D/R with bronze do you think?

yqs100

On the Ice
i think S/M withdraw Euro is not a wise decision, which gives the russians the chance to inflate their PCS with no limitation. And the swing between creating new program and keeping old program shows the less confidence of the team.

GPF is the first time we saw S/M skated two programs clean, IMO they should go Euro to show the judges their consistency and stay in a better position.

s_parks

Record Breaker
But then again, losing to the russians wouldn't look good before the olympics. I can see why they wouldn't want to go, especially since euros are so close to the olympics. My only concern is that savchenko has expressed that they are practicing the 3a throw, which is an unnecessary risk. And will Bruno be okay without another competition to warm up with before the games? Aliona's been there aND done that, but it's massot's first.

bobbob

Medalist
A couple things

1. Sui and Han's quad is much more stable than Aliona and Bruno's triple Axel throw, though both are far from consistent. I think it will be an interesting dynamic to see which of their teams implement their quad/triple Axel, they are fairly evenly matched and this could be the deciding factor, whether they go for it and mess up, go for it and succeed, or don't go for it at all. We won't see either team before the Olympics (actually, are Sui/Han going to 4CC??) , but both are certainly working hard to peak!

2. Duhamel and Radford's new free is certainly an improvement over Muse, but once again it is watered down in comparison to their hometown glory at Worlds 2016. It's maddening to see since their short is much improved but if you compare the same program, it is obvious their skating skills have regressed. They should have used Zimmerman/Kerr for a new free skate too--now, it's too late. Their PCS will certainly be lower than T/M (and maybe S/K), and certainly will be the lowest of the 3 if all go clean. I'm not asking Meagan to magically improve her skating skills--she just needs a better vehicle to hide her weaknesses. If they go clean, they will be close to a clean T/M...but with PCS and execution T/M would probably come out ahead.

3. S/M not going to Europeans is a good decision, I think. They really don't need to prove themselves to boost their PCS. I don't get why Sui/Han are still listed on the 4CC roster, are they going? It may not be a wise decision. At Euros in Russia, S/M cannot guarantee they will get higher PCS than T/M, even if they otherwise would...which may give Olympic judges the wrong impression.

QuadThrow

Medalist
Is not this unique story of sport.

After all the years Kirsten Moore-Towers beats Dylan Moscovic at the very end and goes to the Olympics why Dylan has to stay at home.

It is sad for him and Lybov because they have the best skating skill though all Canadian pairs. But that is sport.

charlotte14

Medalist

After all the years Kirsten Moore-Towers beats Dylan Moscovic at the very end and goes to the Olympics why Dylan has to stay at home.

It is sad for him and Lybov because they have the best skating skill though all Canadian pairs. But that is sport.
They haven't annouced the team though?

Bcash

Final Flight

The irony is not lost on me.
Sad for I/M! Lovely musical programs. The most contemporary spirited of them all.

GGFan

Record Breaker
The irony is not lost on me.
Sad for I/M! Lovely musical programs. The most contemporary spirited of them all.

I'm sad for them as well. Not sure why they got rid of the Phil Collins short (not that it would have made a difference on the jumps).