2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 14 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
As long as they'll skate well, PCS will follow. I'm sure of it.

QuadThrow

Medalist
I hope it wont affect PCS

I do not think so. They got high and deserved PCS in Helsinki SP last year after they skated in the second last group as well.

In addition I recognized that starting early does not really affect the PCS anymore. That was a real issue unter the old system. Today´s problems are more about the top-skaters´ PCS (and GOE) overscoring even when their skating was far away from their best.

solar

I got cat class and I got cat style
Medalist
Country
United-States
It's all starting so soon! :eeking: I hope we get some great performances in the next few days. This event and the mens have the chance to be the most unpredictable

moriel

Record Breaker
I do not think so. They got high and deserved PCS in Helsinki SP last year after they skated in the second last group as well.

In addition I recognized that starting early does not really affect the PCS anymore. That was a real issue unter the old system. Today´s problems are more about the top-skaters´ PCS (and GOE) overscoring even when their skating was far away from their best.

I think it can be still skewed, and starting in last group makes a difference.
But considering their skill level, they should be fine.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh no, almost the worst possible draw for Katia/Harley.

For many years, couldn't care for pairs at all because it was very predictable and the programs were still coping with COP. But can't wait for the pairs event here like at last year worlds. The level is insane. And Aliona :love:
I wish everybody skates well and the show will be one for ages.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Does anyone know at what time are Vanessa and Morgan? I wish to set my waking up alarm for the last 2 groups. :)

If everything goes ok for them, Sui/Han will be gold medalists. They have something that can make people watch pairs, not the most popular event. It's not the Volosozhar/Trankov chemistry, but something else, which I see also at Stolbova/Klimov in their (few) good days.
I wish the best to Vanessa/Morgan, they won me forever last season. They improved so much that I hope the impossible (a bronze medal).
And also good luck Duhamel/Radford. Imo they compensated with so much work and ambition skills and wow-factors they didn't have. For their whole career, I wish them two clean performances and an olympic medal, probably silver. They made me cry at worlds with Hometown glory, so there's also emotion behind those athletic stuff.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Does anyone know at what time are Vanessa and Morgan? I wish to set my waking up alarm for the last 2 groups. :)

If everything goes ok for them, Sui/Han will be gold medalists. They have something that can make people watch pairs, not the most popular event. It's not the Volosozhar/Trankov chemistry, but something else, which I see also at Stolbova/Klimov in their (few) good days.
I wish the best to Vanessa/Morgan, they won me forever last season. They improved so much that I hope the impossible (a bronze medal).
And also good luck Duhamel/Radford. Imo they compensated with so much work and ambition skills and wow-factors they didn't have. For their whole career, I wish them two clean performances and an olympic medal, probably silver. They made me cry at worlds with Hometown glory, so there's also emotion behind those athletic stuff.

Vanessa and Morgan are planned to be between 12.30pm and 12.40pm local time (4.30-4.40 am my time which is - 8hrs comparing to Pyeongchang time) :)

Yeah, I am excited too, never expected to get so interested - and invested - In Pairs' discipline. I think it happened due to more personalities resurfacing in past 4 years than just great skills - there are about 7-8 teams on the top that are so easy to recognize by their presence, energy, character on ice, while all doing basically same imposed elements. This is fantastic to see more innovative, dancey or original programs in terms of music or design, like Aljona/Bruno's FS for past 2 seasons or cool style Vanessa/Morgan are doning.

I wish to see all those programs clean and engaged, my heart is sad though due to Ksenia/Fedor's absence... I am not like a big fan of them, but boy - they have tons of personalities, amazing skills, flair in carriage and when they are on, it is ON. Their 2015 GPF Man and the Shadow FS is still one of most re-watched stuff by me.

LadyB

Record Breaker
I wish to see all those programs clean and engaged, my heart is sad though due to Ksenia/Fedor's absence... I am not like a big fan of them, but boy - they have tons of personalities, amazing skills, flair in carriage and when they are on, it is ON. Their 2015 GPF Man and the Shadow FS is still one of most re-watched stuff by me.

Wow, NoNameFace, I couldn't have put it better!!! Nobody has that charisma and can actually act out a performance like they do.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I just need Katia and Harley to make the free. Just make the free. Everything after that is consequential. Just make the free.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I just need Katia and Harley to make the free. Just make the free. Everything after that is consequential. Just make the free.

then let's make a praying circle for Ekaterina and Harley!:ghug::), wishing them nothing but the very best in their Olympics debut!

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Wow, NoNameFace, I couldn't have put it better!!! Nobody has that charisma and can actually act out a performance like they do.

:), thanks LadyB

I happen to like chemistry, energy going between a lot of teams, Ksenia and Fedor are for me both very prominent personalities and figures to look at alone - they are resembling bold, decisive lines that define their presence, with their skating being the substance, 'colouring' space inside those lines. When they step on ice, my focus immediately is drifting to them BOTH - aside of being very attractive people, they have this competitive chemistry going on, a drive in their performance. What I also like in them is the versatility in term of performing stuff - I think they are convincing doing classics, warhorses or modern things.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Ok, maybe "ditched" is strong. But Aliona wanted gold and was willing to take a chance with a new partner and achieve this in 4 years. Big risk! There are so many good opportunties for skaters in Europe and Asia to skate professionally that I was surprised that she didn't want to continue her partnership with Robin and cash in on that. I get that her competitive juices were still strong but I just don't see the same magic with Bruno. Nice guy, big and strong. But Aliona is the star and this is pairs not singles. It is just so hard to gel 2 skaters into a technically superior and artistically excellent pair. I wish them well at the Olympics; maybe I'll eat my words and she'll get her gold!

I give Aliona full credit she knows what she wants and nothing is going to stop her. She took a mediocre strong specimen and made him an olympic contender. It did seem there was some friction moreso than Kristen and Dylan parting where he wasnt sure how long he wanted to skate. I still think had they skated the last 4 yrs together who knows what they may have created. They were solid singles jumper and they could have developed harder throws or twists. But we will never know.