2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Pairs Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ETA: God, I couldn't think of anything to say about St/Kl so I rewatched their Sochi LP - it's amazing. Addams Family is campy as heck, but they skated their hearts out, and interpreted and sold it beyond what anyone else could have done. If we see them healthy this season, I'd love to see that joy that we haven't seen since 2014.

:agree:

I totally agree! You nailed it. It's the joy and the way they performed Addams Family.

Ender

Match Penalty
Did Mozer give interview about her pairs recently? I still feel so attacked about her choices.

princessalica

Final Flight
Legitimate question. Why did the empty slot from France I think that they gave up go to someone at nebelhorn instead of giving the spot to the us since the us did have the qualifications? I'm trying to understand this. I think it was France earned two slots but gave up one, but since that slot was earned at worlds why didn't they go down the worlds list and award from that?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Legitimate question. Why did the empty slot from France I think that they gave up go to someone at nebelhorn instead of giving the spot to the us since the us did have the qualifications? I'm trying to understand this. I think it was France earned two slots but gave up one, but since that slot was earned at worlds why didn't they go down the worlds list and award from that?

just the rules. spots earned at WC if unused go back to the pool of nebelhorn qualifier....
at nebelhorn, only countries without a spot can earn one... USA already had one.

and for that matter, I do believe that if France had had to give it to an American team, they may have made sure to fill in that spot. James and Cipres are neck to neck with the American teams when they skate "average"... of course, they can do much better when they skate great programs... so I cannot imagine France wanting to add competition to their aspiring team...

Ender

Match Penalty
With the materials this season, I think if S/M skate clean with good quality they might win. But I don’t believe they will be clean. Her landings have always been questionable.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well ... because that would have made so much sense? .... :dbana:

I'm being a little facetious. Someone better versed in the rules than I am will have to explain.

s_parks

Record Breaker
With the materials this season, I think if S/M skate clean with good quality they might win. But I don’t believe they will be clean. Her landings have always been questionable.

My thoughts exactly- I'm a fan of both S/M and S/H, but the former has the programs as well as the scoring potential to win this season. But like you said, I'm rather doubtful of her landings, especially if she insists on the 3A throw. And if she's going to do do it in the short, where sui is less likely to fall on the sbs(as she does with the 3s, the toe has been pretty consistent recently), she's taking a big risk. I don't understand why she's not taking it out; they don't need it to win and everyone knows that sui is inconsistent with the sbs 3s.

bobbob

Medalist
My thoughts exactly- I'm a fan of both S/M and S/H, but the former has the programs as well as the scoring potential to win this season. But like you said, I'm rather doubtful of her landings, especially if she insists on the 3A throw. And if she's going to do do it in the short, where sui is less likely to fall on the sbs(as she does with the 3s, the toe has been pretty consistent recently), she's taking a big risk. I don't understand why she's not taking it out; they don't need it to win and everyone knows that sui is inconsistent with the sbs 3s.

The main issue is Aliona can't do the throw flip either, it's almost always two footed (same for throw salchow). So I guess it's a tossup to go for the axel since a fall on the axel isn't that much worse than a two footed flip and may even be more points than a two footed salchow. Throws are their main problem at this point, it's really killing them especially with Sui/Han getting +3s across the board on both their flip and salchow.

s_parks

Record Breaker
The main issue is Aliona can't do the throw flip either, it's almost always two footed (same for throw salchow). So I guess it's a tossup to go for the axel since a fall on the axel isn't that much worse than a two footed flip and may even be more points than a two footed salchow. Throws are their main problem at this point, it's really killing them especially with Sui/Han getting +3s across the board on both their flip and salchow.

Then wouldn't it be easier to work on the landings of the easier triples? A fall makes a bigger impact, and doing a throw 3A doesn't quite have the point advantage in pairs like 3As and quads do in singles. Keeping that throw nearly cost them the podium in Sochi. Also the twist- everyone marvels at how high it is, there's really no excuse to not get level 4s on them, which they rarely if ever do. And I would think a quad twist wouldn't be so difficult for them to attain either. That's another advantage to S/H.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
If S/M want to win, they have IMHO to remove that throw 3a.... not only she often too foots the 3f throw... but the 3a, she often two foots, steps out or even falls...

They use the " i am going to throw you big and far technique" which makes their throws very impressive but also makes them hard to control. They would do better with their beautiful throw 3s.

D/R played with the 3a throw all last year... and even when better, they would get negative GOE... at one point a fall and a < proved to be enough for them and they simply ditched it.

S/M could use a higher level twist and work on that as they only get a level 2 despite the air time...

There are quite a few things they could do to optimize their score at this point. I thought they would do it for worlds last year but they didn't.... and now they start the season with the same plan as last year... I am not sure if it's the right move when competing against teams like S/H and T/M who are known for executing most of their elements very cleanly.

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Then wouldn't it be easier to work on the landings of the easier triples? A fall makes a bigger impact, and doing a throw 3A doesn't quite have the point advantage in pairs like 3As and quads do in singles. Keeping that throw nearly cost them the podium in Sochi. Also the twist- everyone marvels at how high it is, there's really no excuse to not get level 4s on them, which they rarely if ever do. And I would think a quad twist wouldn't be so difficult for them to attain either. That's another advantage to S/H.

agree, everytime i see their twist i am like "oh god, what a shame"

yuki

Final Flight

S/H have a quad twist, they usually execute it in the FS.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
S/H have a quad twist, they usually execute it in the FS.

we are talking about S/M

they have a huge twist.. however her split entry is not good enough and they rarely get level 3 for it... so either they need to got for a 4tw2 in the free... or try to increase to 3tw4.

They have so much air time, the catch and entry could be worked out to get them a level 4 or a quad... that's what s parks was talking about.

yuki

Final Flight
we are talking about S/M

I was replying to this statement specifically:
That's another advantage to S/H.

which I interpreted (perhaps incorrectly) to mean that a quad twist would give S/M advantage over S/H. I was pointing out that it's not an advantage, since S/H already have a quad twist.

s_parks

Record Breaker
I was replying to this statement specifically:

which I interpreted (perhaps incorrectly) to mean that a quad twist would give S/M advantage over S/H. I was pointing out that it's not an advantage, since S/H already have a quad twist.

Ha, I meant that the quad twist is S/H's advantage over S/M right now, as S/M are not attempting one. That was the point I was trying to make- instead of trying riskier, harder throw jumps, why not level up the twists instead, so there's less point gap and not risk falls/two foots on 3A/quads(which would be decidedly disadvatageous). Not sure how that was unclear, obviously S/H's quad twist is well known...

yuki

Final Flight
Ha, I meant that the quad twist is S/H's advantage over S/M right now, as S/M are not attempting one. That was the point I was trying to make- instead of trying riskier, harder throw jumps, why not level up the twists instead, so there's less point gap and not risk falls/two foots on 3A/quads(which would be decidedly disadvatageous). Not sure how that was unclear, obviously S/H's quad twist is well known...

Sorry for misunderstanding. I agree that S/M should go for the quad twist, even if it's still level 2.

Ender

Match Penalty
S/M should ditch the 3A and quad throw. They need clean skate, not difficult elements. I agree it’s so frustrating to see her failing on that 3A. It’s so dangerous and it’s scary.

bobbob

Medalist

I guess they have worked on easier triples and they have figured that points wise a 3ATh averages out better...they two foot their 3FTh or 3STh 90% of the time...Say they fall on the 3ATh 60% of the time...the 3ATh works out to be more points