I, Tonya | Page 5 | Golden Skate

I, Tonya

NAOTMAA

Medalist
"Why me? Why not that Kwan girl?" :rofl:

Don't forget Weird Al Yankovich's "Headline News" where Tonya/Nancy played a big part (also a brilliant parody of Crash Test Dummies' "Mmm Mmm Mmm Mmm"). Oh the 90s.

She wasn't just "that Kwan girl" she was "that freaky headed Kwan girl!" :rofl:
and of course
"Isn't she annoying or what?!!!" :rofl: :rofl:

cmk

Rinkside
Tonya landed a clean 3toe-3toe at 91 Nationals (the first time she landed 3 axel in competition). Tonya's jumping form was better than Midori's, Midori was more consistent.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Tonya landed a clean 3toe-3toe at 91 Nationals (the first time she landed 3 axel in competition). Tonya's jumping form was better than Midori's, Midori was more consistent.

Tonya's form on the 3A was absolutely not better than Midori's. Also on the 3toe-3toe Tonya's was smaller, 1/4 turn short, and had no flow out, that one time she managed to do it. For the other jumps you could argue Tonya had better form, but definitely not these two elements.

Has anyone here seen it yet? A few people on a movie forum who saw it say they don't show her as a perpetrator or even aware of any planned attack, and is completely shocked when it happened. Another poster said they saw it as, "a tale of a woman whose career was destroyed by idiot men/abusive assholes in her life. Of course Nancy's life was impacted as well but not nearly to the same permanent degree." They ended up feeling sorry for her :unsure:

I'm a little skeptical now after hearing stuff like that :slink:

If you aren't able to feel remotely sorry for Tonya then you should probably take a closer look at what she had to go through in life, how both her surroundings and culture at large created problems for her that are universal for many people. Her upbringing was more difficult than what Nancy had to face and her life was certainly more negatively impacted. We'll never know the extent to which Tonya was involved in the attack, the more relevant question is examining what could have caused such a thing in the first place.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Tonya's form on the 3A was absolutely not better than Midori's. Also on the 3toe-3toe Tonya's was smaller, 1/4 turn short, and had no flow out, that one time she managed to do it. For the other jumps you could argue Tonya had better form, but definitely not these two elements.

If you aren't able to feel remotely sorry for Tonya then you should probably take a closer look at what she had to go through in life, how both her surroundings and culture at large created problems for her that are universal for many people. Her upbringing was more difficult than what Nancy had to face and her life was certainly more negatively impacted. We'll never know the extent to which Tonya was involved in the attack, the more relevant question is examining what could have caused such a thing in the first place.

Seconded. The stories I hear about Tonya growing up make me sad. I know both of her coaches and have nothing but good things to say about them. I saw Tonya at the rink at a mid day public session in May this year and even though she was out of shape she flew across the ice. I couldn't get over how fast she was. She was doing an axel and double sal and they were huge- it was easy to see how that kind of power and fearlessness got her to the triple axel.

Truthfully, I found her triple lutz and death drop spin the most impressive thing about her skating.

Inessence

Rinkside
Seconded. The stories I hear about Tonya growing up make me sad. I know both of her coaches and have nothing but good things to say about them. I saw Tonya at the rink at a mid day public session in May this year and even though she was out of shape she flew across the ice. I couldn't get over how fast she was. She was doing an axel and double sal and they were huge- it was easy to see how that kind of power and fearlessness got her to the triple axel.

Truthfully, I found her triple lutz and death drop spin the most impressive thing about her skating.

Don't forget her Ina Bauer!

Feline Feeder

Rinkside
I always believed that Tonya was not an active or major participant in the planning of the crime. My reasons:

1. Supposedly, Tonya was upset that Nancy got more endorsements than she did. Well, wouldn't being a victim of a weird crime get one more endorsements? If I had a company, I'd be like, "Oh, poor Nancy, pitiful crime victim, I'm putting her in my new commercial!" Tonya, who knew something of agents, endorsements, etc. would figure this out.

2. Tonya would also know that injured people were put on Olympic teams. It just happened the Olympics before with Todd Eldredge. Nancy could still outskate her at the Olympics and become America's sweetheart, which did and almost happened.

She, on the other hand, would know that this plan would backfire, even if she is/was a sociopath and wouldn't object on moral grounds. I don't know that's the case, I hope not, anyway.

Gillooly, on the other hand, probably paid no attention to Tonya when she spoke and knew nothing of the figure skating world, and was also not the sharpest tool in the shed. I haven't seen the film, but if the interpretation is that she was a victim of Gillooly, I can buy that.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Last night I saw a one night showing at the Museum of Fine Arts (I was thinking THIS is fine art???). I suggest going out for a drink first. And hopefully you'll have a fun audience. In short, it was good. Allison Janney stole the movie as Lavona. It was hilarious at times but they really put a lot of physical violence in, so one moment you're cracking up and the next you feel uneasy watching physical abuse. I also felt that they put most of the attack plans on Shawn Eckhardt because he's dead and can't defend himself. All in all, it was funny a lot of times, and I wouldn't see it again, but I was glad to have seen it just once.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice

I wish i couldve seen that! I love Tonyas skating. She was a 5ft powerhouse. I loved her spins and kicks.

I also feel bad for her. She had an abusive mom then an allegedly abusive husband. Tonya had it rough.

https://youtu.be/pIhERUOp_Ig

Does anyone know when this comes out in England? Can't find any info.

Wonder how different this'll be to Nancy and Tonya, apart from being primarily about Tonya this time?

mrrice

Record Breaker
Wow you’re not kidding! This is the best she’s looked in years. Good for her.

That is definitely the best she's looked in years. That picture really shows just how tiny Tonya is in person....I guess that answers the question of whether Tonya will be invited to the Oscars. BTW, there was another awards show prediction.

This is from the Golden Globes prediction page. Golden Globe film predictions: Margot Robbie (‘I, Tonya’) on the rise in race against Saoirse Ronan (‘Lady Bird’)