Big Surprise At The Healthsouth Training Center Today! | Golden Skate

Big Surprise At The Healthsouth Training Center Today!

IDLERACER

Medalist
Well folks, once again it was one of those 100° in the shade days in Los Angeles, and I decided to spend about 20 minutes of my lunch hour at the rink to cool off. Had I known of what I was about to encounter, I would've snuk in a hidden camera. First, the usual stuff:

Frank was working with Yebin Mok (who seems to be getting taller every time I see her). The whole time I was there, they worked on nothing but spins, especially her Hammil Camel, which to these layman's eyes, is looking really good. There were a couple of other skaters practicing who I didn't recognize. Timothy Goebel was also there, but not on the ice. He was in the workout area doing stretching excercises. He left about five minutes after I got there.

And now for the BIG surprise.

As I'm sitting there observing Yebin's lesson, I heard a couple of women talking in a foreign language a few feet away. I looked up, and low and behold, seated two tables away from me are nonother than Viktoria Volchkova and her mother enjoying a snack. What on earth they were doing in El Segundo, I have no idea. I certainly haven't heard any news about her moving out here. Perhaps they were just vacationing, and she wanted to get in a little practice time. I would've given anything to be able to understand Russian at that moment. After about 10 minutes, she takes her bag full of workout stuff and goes into the section that's cordoned off for those purposes (where Timothy Goebel had just left), while her mother sat there and wiped off her skates. First she did a few stretches, and then proceeded to jump rope(!) :love: It was at this point that I really had to make an effort not to stare. Although she isn't nearly as busty as she looks when she's wearing those costumes with lots of underwiring, she was still quite a stunner. Also, she isn't nearly as tall as she looks on TV, probably because she wasn't standing next to Irina or Cupcake.

Not wanting to overstay my welcome (or give the wrong impression), I exited the place while Yebin was in the middle of a layback spin. I still haven't run into Jenny Kirk or her sister yet, but this time, I'm not complaining. ;)

Kara Bear

Final Flight
thats awesome Idle. Thanks for the gossip! I'm so jealous that a rink of such high calibur is so close to you.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Idle-
That was your one chance to say something to Viktoria. You could of had the whole scoop about what is going on with her skating. Yes Idle you blew the chance ;)

IDLERACER

Medalist
dlkksk8fan said:
Idle-
That was your one chance to say something to Viktoria. You could of had the whole scoop about what is going on with her skating. Yes Idle you blew the chance ;)

I don't think she, or her mother, speaks a word of English, and if they did, I still wouldn't have felt comfortable approaching them. One of these days, one of you folks should go down there and start up a conversation with someone's mother. It's still acceptable for a female to do that in this society. If I did that, I'd look like a stalker. Could I possibly be the only regular in these forums who lives in Los Angeles? (population 10,000,000).

JOHIO2

Medalist
Hi Idle,

If Vika can't speak a word of english, she must be a very poor learner. Didn't she spend some time training in Chicago with Totmianina and Marinin?

Last edited:

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
IDLERACER said:

If I did that, I'd look like a stalker.

I was thinking the very same thing! :eek: I don't think they would have appreciated your approaching them. Unless, perhaps, you held out a piece of paper and asked for an autograph. She must be used to that. Then you could slip in one of those, "Oh, by the way..." :laugh:

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Idle- you are taking me too serious I was only teasing (see the wink smilie).

I would think that just saying a few words of how much you like her skating wouldn't make you a "stalker". And I am sure she is use to people coming up to her and asking for a autograph. However I can appreciate your respect for her privacy.

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
I just hope Yebin's not getting TOO tall TOO fast.... We all know what that leads to when THAT happens...... :\

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Idle, I saw the thread was started by you and thought Idle has a good picture up but nope----------what's happened to you??? :laugh: :laugh:

Dee

IDLERACER

Medalist
I don't even own a camera, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't brandish it in there. It's nice enough that the people who work there just let me sit there, seemingly for the sole purpose of cooling off. I almost feel an obligation to stop in the rink's gift store and purchase a hockey jersey or something on my way out.

dewet

Final Flight
I think Viktoria can speak some English because she gave a interview for ABC when she won Cup of Russia.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Idle,
Congratulations on seeing Vika jump er bounce rope.

And thanks so much for posting it.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
IDLERACER said:
I don't even own a camera, and if I did, I certainly wouldn't brandish it in there. It's nice enough that the people who work there just let me sit there, seemingly for the sole purpose of cooling off. I almost feel an obligation to stop in the rink's gift store and purchase a hockey jersey or something on my way out.

:laugh: Two years ago Denver was going through one of its worst droughts and hottest summers in years. Like you, I sought out the coolest places I could find ~ and ended up in a skating rink. I, too, didn't want to be conspicuous or have it appear that I was lurking or stalking any of the skaters, so I signed up to take lessons! Just an idea for you ~ group lessons are cheaper than hockey jerseys! It's a great way to have fun and get some exercise in. :)

IDLERACER

Medalist
paralegalmkfan said:
group lessons are cheaper than hockey jerseys! It's a great way to have fun and get some exercise in
Considering who the coaches are at this place, I seriously doubt that. Interestingly enough, when you go to the Healthsouth's website, it hardly mentions anything about figure skating at all. It goes into great detail about how the L.A. Kings hockey team uses the facilities to practice, but as far as figure skating goes, it only gives the times when public sessions are open. My guess is that they don't like to crow about who their coaches are, and who trains there, in order to avoid getting besieged by a bunch of rabid autograph hounds.

And yet, when you go there, there is tons of literature by the front door that one can take home regarding the schedule of group classes, private lessons, which coaches are available, etc. I guess they just figure that anybody looking to take some lessons will be able to find them via word-of-mouth.

paralegalmkfan

Rinkside
Grgranny said:
Welcome to the forum, Paryl. Hope you enjoy it here.

:) Thanks! I've lurked here for a long time, but Idleracer's post about hanging out in the rink hit home with me. Actually, I was 51 years old at the time and the oldest person in all of the classes! I was just looking for a way to stay cool. Now I'm doing mohawks and 3 turns. I'm still trying to get my back cross overs down. :laugh:

While my rink is one of the nicest in the Denver area, you're not likely to walk in at any time and see well know elite skaters practicing. It would be nice, though.