any one have a solution for lace bite | Golden Skate

any one have a solution for lace bite

pick_chick

Rinkside
Hi I have just started wearing my skates again after 3 months not standing in them BUT I am getting real bad lace bite up the front of my legbasically the tounge area from the hooks up any one have any cool tricks to help this ???

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Two words -- Bungs Pads. If you can't get them locally, you might be able to get them on their website. I've heard that there is a backlog (don't know - I always get mine locally). They help a bunch! :)

cborsky

Rinkside
Yay for Bunga Pads!

I used to have horribly ugly ankles, they were calloused up the front from years of lace bite and I had dark purple bands around the top where I had blisters from the tops of my boots rubbing. After I wore the bungas for a few months the callouses went away and so did the purple marks. It was awesome, you gotta try 'em!

Cassie

starshinexavier

On the Ice
You can try gel socks too. They work really well for preventing lace bite and any other problems associated with skates and ankles.

Summerkid

Rinkside
There's Bunga or there's also Silipos. They're even cheaper--they've got the same gel just the fabric is a little different. You can find them here at Rainbo Sports.

starshinexavier

On the Ice
dlkksk8fan said:
I've never seen these. Are these full foot socks?

No. They cover your heel and ankles, or just your ankles, depending on how you wear them. I think they may have another name, but I've always heard them be refered to as gel socks.

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I don't think I have experienced lace bite, but what I have experienced lately, is my foot arches would really ache when I was skating, then I would have to sit down for a little while,then go back out. I decided to stand in them for a little while off the ice before I went on the ice, then they didn't ache on the ice! They felt better! Anyone have input on that? :p

Perry

Rinkside
I went through the same thing a while a go. Try tying your skates a little loser, especilly the laces right before you get to the hooks at the top of the boot. If that doesn't help, the arch in the boot is probably too high. Switching to custom boots can allieviate that, however, since most customs don't pay very good attention to the arch, you might need to have special soles put in. I did all three -- tied them loser, got customs, and my skate person took out the insole and put in a small arch buildup on the actual skate, one that matched my foot, covered by a much thinner one with no arch built-up, These changes for me happened over several years, since one would work for a while, and then the problem would come back. Since I implemented all of them, however, I haven't had a single problem.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Yaz thanks for that website. I saw that they have elbow pads and I need some because everytime I fall I always fall on my right elbow.

Lee

Rinkside
Perry said:
If that doesn't help, the arch in the boot is probably too high.
Oooor, the arch support might not be high enough. I've had to put additional support in my skates, not only to ease the foot pain, but to keep my foot from 'flopping' to the inside edge. Doing a swing roll with a foot that continually wants to fall to the inside is NOT fun!
:eek:

I just bought myself a pair of Dr. Scholl's arch support inserts -- they seem to have done the trick, more or less. I *will* be looking for a better support in the next couple weeks when I make it into the city to look for new blades...

Good luck!

Ice Princess

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks you guys-I did get nice skates when I started really skated about 8 years ago & got arch pads put inside. Then, the guy who sold me my skates & used to sharpen my blades, had to grind off some of the pad for me even! So, I've done that....who knows, if they now could be too low or too high! You got me! :p Hey, also, I was going to get new blades, too sometime for some skates I'm fixing up for my neice & I was wondering the general costs for those.

Last edited:

Perry

Rinkside
You can usually get decent blades for upwards of 100 dollars. Blades in that low price range are meant for people only doing singles, and low-level moves, and they usually only last a year or so, depending on how often you sharpen them. Mine now cost about 600 dollars, but I used the much less expensive comet until I started doubles, and it worked really well.

hankykeely

Spectator
I like using a foam rubber makeup sponge for problem areas. I usually put it on the area that is getting irritated, sometimes below the area-just to take the pressure off and they work great for me and I put it under my tights so they hold it in place. They are cheap, too. You can buy a pack in most drugstores.

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
One of my friends uses an old wristband (Nike variety, as worn by tennis stars) to protect her ankle. She did have Bungapads, but gave them to her daughter whose need, she perceived, was greater than hers.....

Jeujeucda

Spectator
I had lace bite when within three weeks of getting new skates. All I did was go back to the shop I got them from and ask them to reinforce the tongues. The first time the reinforcement wasn't enough so I went back a second time. After that it was fine.

The reinforcement work didn't cost anything because I bought the skates from them, so it was like follow-up service. Why don't you try that before buying gel socks or bunga pads, etc?

Jeujeucda