Slipchuk: Group effort on selection process | Golden Skate

Slipchuk: Group effort on selection process

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ted Flett talks with High Performance Director of Skate Canada, Mike Slipchuk. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/O5PN8WLcdEM

What are your thoughts on the Canadian team this season compared to four years ago?

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
I think Canada has one of the strongest team in the world right now. I don't remember the last time when pairs, ladies, ice dance and men were so strong at the same time.

Go Patrick! :dance: Go Ilushkina/Moskovitch! Oh, and I also wish the great results to my fav Canadian lady - Alaine :love:

Excellent interview. Slipchuk seems relaxed and confident, as well he might be.

Interesting comments about the Olympic team event. I agree with Slipchuk that winning an Olympic medal in the team event ought to be a "real deal" for the athletes. It helps to have many options, as Canada does.

Gabriella Daleman looks fierce and ready in the extended clip.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Very interesting about the team event : everyone wants in! So to those naysayers about it... well... you heard it now : the athletes want to be part of it.

It was interesting that Mr. Slipchuk remarked that he gets input from coaches (though not from the athletes) about Olympic selection. And that he doesn't receive any pressure or "politics" from them.

He also emphasized that the Olympics were a long ways off and that they were concentrating on the Grand Prix events now.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It was interesting that Mr. Slipchuk remarked that he gets input from coaches (though not from the athletes) about Olympic selection. And that he doesn't receive any pressure or "politics" from them.

He also emphasized that the Olympics were a long ways off and that they were concentrating on the Grand Prix events now.

I thought he was talking about the Team Event specifically when he said he got input from the coaches.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
WOW!!! Gabby's FLOW and SPEED, in my 30 odd years of watching ladies figure skating, is UNBELIEVABLE! :jaw:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
1. Wow I barely recognized Michael Slipchuk
2. Gabby was fierce; she had an Ashley Wagner power vibe going
3. It is true you don't know what will happen during the season but you wuold think they would go with Gabby and Kaetlyn for the ladies and then what do you do. You have solid pairs teams - D and R being a sure bet but do you let I and M or a resurgent Seguin and Bilodeau on the team or the unlucky but very good watiing in the wings in ice dance Weaver and Poje. Leaving a potential 2014 teammate off in Reynolds - if he makes it because he has to hold off the young guns and Nam wherever he migth be with his skating.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Re Team Medals, some in skating circles including fans, must get over this new addition. Not prestigious enough for you? Tell that to Mark Spitz, Michael Phelps, or Usain Bolt, that some of their medals are not worthy because they were won in Team competitions. Every Olympic medal should be appreciated in and of themselves, as these same medals are respected in every other sport discipline.

Once an Olympic medalists, always an Olympic medalists.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Very interesting about the team event : everyone wants in! So to those naysayers about it... well... you heard it now : the athletes want to be part of it.

But can you imagine any skater saying ahead of time that they DON'T want to be on the team? I can't.

For instance, Jason Brown was thrilled to skate in the Sochi team event for USA. After the fact, his coach Kori Ade told TSL that it's a whole 'nother challenge, because all the skaters prepare mentally and training-wise to be able to skate two events/programs well at any given competition; so the preparation for 3 (or 4) great skates needs to be different. Of course, this time, everyone will understand that challenge a bit better, IMO, and be able to prepare accordingly.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
^^, I can! Particularly with some team members that do not see themselves as Team medal contenders. "This", has already happened in Sochi, and undoubtedly will again. Perhaps Team events should be held after other skating comps., have taken place.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^^, I can! Particularly with some team members that do not see themselves as Team medal contenders. "This", has already happened in Sochi, and undoubtedly will again. Perhaps Team events should be held after other skating comps., have taken place.

Oh, I see what you mean. Like if a country is non-competitive in one discipline, just as an example, say, pairs, but they have top competitors in, let's say, men's singles. Come to think of it, I think I addressed this in a different thread. But in Canada or USA, I think everyone is happy at the thought of being selected. I know the skaters I've heard asked the question have all expressed enthusiasm at the thought of being included.

It's true that it did happen in Sochi. I guess I thought that knowing more what's expected, what the problems have been, as observed in Sochi, it would be different this time.

But I can still imagine someone saying, like Maxim Trankov did, that "we're not the youngest skaters;" !:) and that they need to consider carefully how best to do it. And it makes a difference between individual medal contenders vs. those who are hoping for a top 5 or 10 finish. Like D/R vs. Knierim/Knierim.

I say, "go, go go! Skate, skate, skate." Once you start scheming and plotting, that's when you mess up. :yes: (Just my opinion.)