Which ones stick? | Golden Skate

Which ones stick?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
In your memory for any reason. The ladies Oly gold thread inspired me to think backwards about performances that just are indelible or as some of us get older and memory fades what will you remember as a great performance or even a bad one?

Ladies short programs. The best of Sochi was Caro Kostner skating to Ave Maria. I refer to the comments of Brian Orser and Kurt both ringside for those skates.

Also from Sochi Send in the Clowns by Yuna Kim. The yellow mustard dress I hated but the performance was mature introspective grown up Yuna. Her best Sp I think despite her Bond girl showing how sexy they could train her to be.

From that Olympics comes the skating of Julia who will never be forgot in the red dress. She was a very special 15 year old performer. from sheer guts and perfection came the gutsy I will show you lay it all down LP from Mao Asada. Hard not to cry after the Sp took her out of her last run at Olympic gold but she was perfect. That is how I will remember this beautiful,elegan, exquisite little Mao Asada.

The most heartbraking skate I ever saw was Katia in 1996. In the Tribute to Sergei. Her bony frame the dress and the hug from Daria. It was almost too personal to watch. Years later Joanie Rochette who I felt opened the doors for Canadian ladies back on the big Podiums gave the bravest competitive skate I ever saw. Both skates were imperfect but incredible. The world skated every move with her.

From the 2006 Olympics Sasha Cohen's Sp was so amazing she was in first. So much more memorable than Arakawas safe and lackluster LP. I don't even recall her Sp. Disappointed she didn't do 3 triples in a row to make history when she was practicing them with ease.

Nancy Kerrigan for me had this serious and ethereal grace in both programs at her Olympics. She was robbed in 94. The Dress alone was worth a 6.0. her dresses presentation and the Irish classical beauty always made me look. And who can forget Tonya is the tackiest outfits just to annoy people. Ugh.

As for the other Oly champs of the USA Peggy Dorothy and Kristi blossomed in their pro careers. I recall Peggy skating 25 years after Gold and she was to die for. Another skate was tribute to Carlo Fassi her former coach. She was the epitome of ladies skating in the golden era of 6.0 and the beauty we expected. Watching Dorothy spin as her hair spun out was fun. So pretty and her stroking was perfect with the amazing back posture we do not see anymore since Sasha quit.

The men who thrilled me initially were North American. Brian Boitano just barely winning Calgary as Orser skated those fast triple axels. Scott I recall in his little track suit but I enjoyed his comical pieces even more. Steven Tyler seems to have written " walk this way" to let Scooter make us laugh. The happiest performances I recall for great American males were when The guys finally rose to conquer. 1996 San Jose Rudy Galindo in his nothing to lose LP that won him his US title changing his life finally. 1992 Paul Wylie was exciting and his nerves were controlled in Albertville. He was amazing. And then came a slew of professional skates where he was so perfect in every way. Maybe my favorite USA male of all time.

In the golden 90's I recall Petrenko as pro blowing the roof off with his MJ routine. Then the great Alexei Yagudin had an incredible Sp called Winter to win gold a decade after petrenko led the Russian Oly charge for men. Ilya skated young but I wil never forget his TaT inspired plastic giraffe jacket in Nagano. Tara was amazing and screamed like a banshee at her win with the triple loop combo making history but Lyra Angelica and the lovely young Kwan in the blue strapped velour dress was more memorable for me. Of all her lovely skates that was so pure and fresh. Her love of skating was so high then.

Pairs is all G and G hits and also Sale and Pelletier among some amazing pairs skates. I don't think Rodnina and Zaitsev had an equal for power and precision. They were jaw dropping. One always knew Russian pairs would be special.

Lake Placid broke our hearts when Tai and Randy lost their chance. Totally sad moment.

My favorite Ice dance moments provided by several teams beginning with the so unique Torvill and Dean. Riverdance by Bourne and Kraatz was stunningly exciting for me. Years later a young beautiful, Canadian pair would leave us spellbound as they skated to Mahler. For me they still define Ice dance though watching Davis and White blow the roof off with first Bollywood then Scheherazade.

For sheer tackiness I think the Russian couple who did then aboriginal parody that won a bronze was such bad skating and smacked of them being somehow owed a medal. Ugh! Memorable in the way Candeloro always was. There is so much and I wonder what skate will stay with you for a long long time?

Sorry fixed my shaky typing and auto fills. My little iPad isn't easy to hold and type!

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
First of all... I missed you and your long and earnest posts, skateluvr :)

For me, the Olympic performances that "stick" are Mao's 2010 free skate and Yuna's Adios Nonino.

Mao's Bells of Moscow remains my favorite program of hers.. it is so fierce, intense and different.. It showcased a character and a style we had not seen in Mao (or perhaps any female skater, for that matter?). And in this specific performance, we see the fighter Mao fighting against the odds, coming onto the ice in the roaring cheers for Yuna and determined to give her all. She failed to give a perfect performance but it was so gutsy and so impressive - I would say even more so than in Sochi where she had "nothing to lose." Executing two brilliant 3As under that kind of pressure, and then the powerful spiral sequence and after some missteps, the emotional footwork sequence where she was skating with every ounce of her body and her life. She hadn't had a good season and at that point her jumps were failing her, but she powered her way through to the Olympics and Worlds through sheer willpower and determination, making history along the way. It may have been a disappointment for her but it was an incomparable triumph in my book.

As for Yuna's 2014 FS, many praises have been sung about it (although equally it left many cold). I personally find it absolutely engaging and emotional. Just like the instance above, Yuna had to come out in the midst of the palpable exhilaration in the air for another skater and skate "against the odds." And she was as calm and as "I mean business" as ever, and showed us the goods, the artistry and class.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I too love Sasha's SP in Torino, it is one I'll never get tired of!
I loved Arakawa's LP too, even though it was a conservative skate, there was an elegantness (is that a word? Lol) to it which matched beautifully with the music.

My ultimate faves would have to be from Nagano, Lipinski's LP, so joyful and triumphant.
Lu Chen's Butterfly Lovers LP - my all time favourite!!! Even as a youngster that program struck me for whatever reason. I still don't know why lol but it is definitely my favourite!!

Others - Mao's Sochi LP
- Ashley Wagner - HHCC
(Worlds '16)
- Zagitova's Don Q - Russian Nats (I imagine I will be watching this one back for years to come)
- Fernandez- Guys & Dolls (worlds '16)
- Tonya Harding landing her 3A at Nationals (just that one moment is priceless, even if one doesn't want to watch the whole skate)
- Katerina Witt's 88 OG Carmen
- Surya Bonaly - LP, Nagano (or again, just watch the backflip if you don't want the whole program)
- Medvedeva's SP '17 (any comp)
- Kwan's LP at '98 Nationals
- Slutskaya's LP at Nagano, something so energetic about that program, with jump landed so perfectly on the change in music tempo, it was evident that she would become a force to be reckoned with!

Warwick360

Medalist
Personally, I'm still hung up on the Sochi Ladies debacle. It has still left me bitter more than I imagined. Let's just hope we don't have the same conundrum once the Pyeonghchang ends. Would be nice to see a lack of controversy for a change.

Warwick360

Medalist
As for Yuna's 2014 FS, many praises have been sung about it (although equally it left many cold). I personally find it absolutely engaging and emotional. Just like the instance above, Yuna had to come out in the midst of the palpable exhilaration in the air for another skater and skate "against the odds." And she was as calm and as "I mean business" as ever, and showed us the goods, the artistry and class.

I think most beginners in viewers are more easily pleased with flash bang performances. Like for example, only recently, I've found myself focusing more on the edge work than the jumps or the overstretched spins/spirals. I think for most first time viewers, the focus mostly is cemented on who did bigger jump or who had a program to a song they liked, while discounting the rest. It's a shame how most who felt cold kept completely ignoring in their comments the level of skating difference there was between her and most of her competitors. I hate people who only follow a sport once in 4 years and somehow have more to say. :slink:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
skateluvr - Joanie Rochester? It's Joannie Rochette, not Rochester. And who is "Road" (lol)?

lappo

Final Flight
Those are the one that I'm never tired of rewatching:
Yuna Kim 2007/9 SP at Worlds and 2011 LP (with falls and everything); special mention for her Turandot exhibition.
Sasha SP and LP in Turin (with falls and all, I loved her R&J).
Dai & Yuzuru LP at 2012 Worlds.
Yags Gladiator (but love almost all his post Mishin programs).
Lambiel Poeta.
Jeffrey Buttle Ararat.
S/Z Turandot.
Michelle Tosca.

sadya

On the Ice
Country
Netherlands
Too many to name just these few:

1995 SOG Baiul Meditation in Thais
1994 Lillehamer Gala G&G Reverie
1996 Chen lu sp & lp
2000 Worlds Kwan lp
2013 SA Machida sp

So many more come to mind. I won't drown this threaf.

Ross74

Medalist
Janet Lynn in Sapporo, where she fell on a sit spin, got up smiling, and captivated the Japanese fans.

lanark

On the Ice
wow! Thanks for the long interesting post and to all the other posters as well.
I haven't been following figure skating for that long so I haven't watched all of the performances mentioned here.
I will definitely check it out!

From the more recent years,
Rochette's Olympic performance was definitely one for the history. So touching and so brave!
Mao Asada's Socci LP left me crying with her. It was the performance of the night for me.
Together with Yuna's Adios Nonino, of course. I don't even have words to describe her magnificence on that program. And I agree with the comments here about it not being so easy to digest for some casual viewers.
Sasha Cohen's 2010 US championship was also pretty memorable for me, gutsy and fiery as always.
Plushenko's 2004 LP at Russian National I could watch forever. That man was born to skate!
Then there's my favorite male skater right now, Yuzuru and his perfect 2015 GPF performance, still my favorite of his.
And very, very recent, Sui/Han 2017 SP... just amazing, my favorite pair! 😍

PS.: we all have our favorite skaters, mine is Kim Yuna, so all of her programs for me are memorable and perfect in their own way. If I had to choose one, I'd be stuck between Adios Nonino and Send in the Clowns and Danse Macabre and Les Mis and Meditation of Thais and Kiss of the Vampire and Scheherazade and her Turandot. 😂

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

lanark

On the Ice
There were many... but this one in particular. Perhaps these clips sums up it well. Came from nothing but somehow brought Olympic ice home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cJXMEHbLdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCnoWPpvEg

With the direction the sport is going, I think I will stop watching after PyeongChang. The magic is gone.
I agree with you in parts. I'm more hopeful, I guess.
There are some new talents worth watching like Marin Honda, Alina(from Russia, I never know their surnames, sorry lol), Eunsoo is also very promising, even Yelim(she has nice jumps). If they're going to be Olympic gold medalists it's a whole other story, but I will still enjoy their performances so... there's that. :)

Yuna is the definition of "just do it" lol

There are so many brave skaters who builds their careers against all odds... So inspiring! <3

Sent from my Moto G using Golden Skate mobile app

QuadThrow

Medalist
I could watch all day:

Machida SP East of Eden 2013/2014

Savchenko/Szolkowy FP Pina 2011/2012

Virtue/Moir FD HipHip ChinChin 2011

macy

Record Breaker
Mao's LP at 2014 Oly's. simply spectacular, I remember crying and jumping when she finished but it was so bittersweet since she bombed her short! would have absolutely been her second Olympic medal if she would have went 2 for 2.

mrrice

Record Breaker
This will come as a surprise to absolutely no one. Maria Butyrskaya's LP from Worlds in 1999 is tied with Patrick Chan's "Take Five" from Worlds in 2011. Spectacular performances that I have watched literally thousands of times. Watching Patrick for as long as I have, I find him to be one of the most gifted skaters in history. Even when he doesn't win, he's one of the few skaters that can fall and still make me feel his program due to his beautiful performance quality.

Due to her rivalry with Maria, I didn't follow Michelle Kwan very closely. However, I must say that I was a big fan of her "Song Of The Black Swan" LP from Worlds in 2001. I had seen Michelle live in 1999 and she seemed like a young girl. She was a completely different skater by 2001 and she brought the house down in Vancouver....

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
There were many... but this one in particular. Perhaps these clips sums up it well. Came from nothing but somehow brought Olympic ice home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cJXMEHbLdY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xCnoWPpvEg

With the direction the sport is going, I think I will stop watching after PyeongChang. The magic is gone.

Came from nothing and had a tiger mom.

If Yuna hadn't had such a forceful mom, she would have been cast aside by the adults in charge, not by lack of talent or motivation, but because of the lack of a program. I do not think it takes anything from her though.

I think her mom deserves praise for doing everything in her power to get her daughter to the olympics, including intelligently chosing Brian Orser as a coach who ended up being a great match. Her name might not be on the medals, but she was a necessary condition to winning them.

Sorry for off topic.

andromache

Record Breaker
P/C's FD 2016 Worlds (To Build a Home)
Yuna Kim's LP 2014 Olympics (Send in the Clowns)
S/Z's LP 2003 Worlds (Turandot)
B/S's SP 2002 Olympics (Lady Caliph)
Joshua Farris's 2015 4CCs SP + LP (Give Me Love + Schindler's List)
Michelle Kwan's EX 2002 Olympics (Fields of Gold)

ETA: Oksana Baiul's SP 1994 Olympics (Swan Lake)