Height on jumps | Golden Skate

Height on jumps

russianfan

Match Penalty
link
Some guys were trying to count the height and rotation speed of popular skaters jumps. Not sure how correct this info is, but I thought it might be interesting for some people, so I'm gonna leave it here.
There are also annotations below each table. Let me know what you think about that.
To translate you can use yandex (https://translate.yandex.ru/translate) just paste the link into the top field

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Very interesting! One thing to keep in mind is that some of these comparisons don't reflect that some of these jumps are only done by the skater as part of a combo, for example Karen's 3S and many skaters' 3T. I'm not surprised to see that Gabby, Polina T and Karen have the biggest jumps in the current field.

russianfan

Match Penalty
Very interesting! One thing to keep in mind is that some of these comparisons don't reflect that some of these jumps are only done by the skater as part of a combo, for example Karen's 3S and many skaters' 3T. I'm not surprised to see that Gabby, Polina T and Karen have the biggest jumps in the current field.

yes, they specifically noted that in the text

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Miyahara's numbers, ooph.

I'm very skeptical about some of the data and the selections they used, however. They stated that for Carolina Kostner, only competitions last season were looked at. Yet, they give a number for her Triple Lutz...she didn't do the Lutz last season. Then for Polina Tsurskaya, they used only her best Long Program and her best Short Program twice.

So basically Tsurskaya was given a "best case scenario" result for her numbers (even specifically skewing it by including a SP twice, where she did a better execution than in her LP) while nobody else was.

lanark

On the Ice
Not surprised by Daleman's name so high up in all of the jumps. I actually thought she was the lady with the highest jumps currently.
As Blades of Passion have said, some of the data seems a bit strange.
But thanks for the the link! Very interesting, I wish I could speak Russian though LOL

:cool2:

tjb

Match Penalty
Miyahara's numbers, ooph.

I'm very skeptical about some of the data and the selections they used, however. They stated that for Carolina Kostner, only competitions last season were looked at. Yet, they give a number for her Triple Lutz...she didn't do the Lutz last season. Then for Polina Tsurskaya, they used only her best Long Program and her best Short Program twice.

So basically Tsurskaya was given a "best case scenario" result for her numbers (even specifically skewing it by including a SP twice, where she did a better execution than in her LP) while nobody else was.

lol. it's by far not the best of her jumps. there is a lot of polina's lutzes that are higher than 60 cm.
people on russian forums are using mishin's method and measuring the height of the jumps since the beggining of times. it's only big news for eteri haters like you that tsurskaya have a highest jumps in the buisness

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Think? Karen and Polina T, are not the first to come to my mind, when I think of the current top BIG jumpers.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Thanks for sharing. Such brilliant scientific method: judging by eyes on videos lol... come on ISU, please allow some proper measurement. Otherwise, there's so much room for propaganda and distortion. Particularly the 2nd combo factor.

Love the geekdom though... I had thought Anna stats would have been much better. It will be interesting to see how distance would rank as it is for me is more important as it suggests speed and risk, one of the reasons I have always appreciated Anna and Karen's lutz. :drama: at Miyahara, but if we go by the size of person vs size of jumps achieved, Liza (5ft 2) and Karen (5ft) reigns. Compare with Midori who is 4ft9, and Miyahara 4ft 10 1/2 according to their Wiki. How high did Midori used to jump I wonder by this method?

tjb

Match Penalty
Thanks for sharing. Such brilliant scientific method: judging by eyes on videos lol... come on ISU, please allow some proper measurement. Otherwise, there's so much room for propaganda and distortion. Particularly the 2nd combo factor.

Love the geekdom though... I had thought Anna stats would have been much better. It will be interesting to see how distance would rank as it is for me is more important as it suggests speed and risk, one of the reasons I have always appreciated Anna and Karen's lutz. :drama: at Miyahara, but if we go by the size of person vs size of jumps achieved, Liza (5ft 2) and Karen (5ft) reigns. Compare with Midori who is 4ft9, and Miyahara 4ft 10 1/2 according to their Wiki. How high did Midori used to jump I wonder by this method?

this method works just fine, it was invented by mishin and tested with actual measurment devices. all you need is high quality video to make it work, but even without high framerate videos inaccuracys are not that big (like 6-7 cm for 24 fps)
best of midori's 3As is up to 70-75 cm. it's crazy high. vast majority of the men are lower than this with their quads.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
lol. it's by far not the best of her jumps.

Those are her best jumps in competition.

it's only big news for eteri haters like you that tsurskaya have a highest jumps in the buisness

Nobody is surprised she has some high jumps, but the data is hardly conclusive. Try to contain your prejudice. Her double axel is definitely not the highest being done. Karen Chen's best execution of that jump is higher, as is Mirai Nagasu's.

tjb

Match Penalty
Nobody is surprised she has some high jumps, but the data is hardly conclusive. Try to contain your prejudice. Her double axel is definitely not the highest being done. Karen Chen's best execution of that jump is higher, as is Mirai Nagasu's.

all you saying is just words. can you backup this with some facts? like frame by frame picture of karen chen's 2a. show the actual jump and let's do the measurments then

champs

Final Flight
Maybe I didn't fully comprehend the translation of the article, but the simple free falling formula the author used doesn't take into account that the axis of rotation in the air is not perfectly vertical hence there's more acceleration in the vertical component than just the 'g'.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
this method works just fine, it was invented by mishin and tested with actual measurment devices. all you need is high quality video to make it work, but even without high framerate videos inaccuracys are not that big (like 6-7 cm for 24 fps)
best of midori's 3As is up to 70-75 cm. it's crazy high. vast majority of the men are lower than this with their quads.

Different Camera lenses, Camera angles, Video compressions can all distort visuals, just saying. That the direction of the skater faces/blade vs next skater with subtle variance etc...

Midori does 70 cm omg, that is practically half of her height!!!

mrrice

Record Breaker
I don't know if she'll ever put it all together at the same time but.....Angela Wang had HUGE Jumps as a Junior. I am rarely speechless over a Junior skater but, Angela really impressed me when I saw her live. Like a lot skaters she was a tiny young lady but, she had skills...Here's the LP that I saw.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otOyR0UpDV4

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I Know miyhara is tiny herself, but I wonder if there's a way to fix her small jumps?

I think the tiny jumps are because she's naturally a clockwise jumper, but since the JSF doesn't allow this, had to learn counter-clockwise jumps. Thus, they're smaller.

Blades of Passion

Record Breaker
Country
France
like frame by frame picture of karen chen's 2a. show the actual jump and let's do the measurments then

Look at Chen's 2A from 2015 Nationals LP. No frame-by-frame is needed to see it is on another level from what Tsurskaya does. The distance on the jump most especially, which is not being measured by this method. For Mirai 2016 Worlds SP is probably a good enough example off the top of my head.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
I think the tiny jumps are because she's naturally a clockwise jumper, but since the JSF doesn't allow this, had to learn counter-clockwise jumps. Thus, they're smaller.

They dont? thats such BS. The skater is still exacuting and landing the jump even if its the other way around. such a dumb rule.

tjb

Match Penalty
Look at Chen's 2A from 2015 Nationals LP. No frame-by-frame is needed to see it is on another level from what Tsurskaya does. The distance on the jump most especially, which is not being measured by this method. For Mirai 2016 Worlds SP is probably a good enough example off the top of my head.

the distance is measured by this method as well. by the way this article is not about one biggest jump of the particular skater (i wasn't bothered to read at first, since nothing new in there for me), the article is about an average height of the jumps, many of the jumps are taken into account