Can't jump after skating for a while | Golden Skate

Can't jump after skating for a while

icesk8er

Rinkside
Does anyone else have this problem? So far I can only do single jumps. In each practice session, after I jump for, say, 15-20 times, my jumps will start to get worse. I will bail out more often, have shaky landings, or underrotate. I don't really feel tired. I can still keep skating and practice other things. But it feels like it's getting harder to keep everything right when I jump. It makes me think "Half an hour ago I can still do this jump, but now I can't do it anymore." Is this a stamina problem, even if they are just single jumps? What should I do?

narcissa

Record Breaker
I think you will start to get worse at anything if you do it too much. Jumps, spins, even footwork. Even if you don't feel dizzy, you could be dizzy internally from all the spinning/jumping, and it could affect...well, everything. And sometimes doing things out of frustration makes it worse, too.

just4lizzy

Rinkside
Maybe you start to overthink them too much after a while? For me, the first jumps are usually pretty good as I'm going by muscle memory and not really thinking about the jump. If I do have a string of falls, I just stop, do some spins and edges and try again later. I can usually reset my bearings after that. For me, though, my main issue is my boot getting loose after about an hour in. Then when I re-tie to compensate, it becomes to tight, so i have to force some jumps in until my boots loosen again. (I'm still waiting for my new boots to arrive.)

Vernella

Rinkside
If you jump, let's say, salchows for 15-20 times and you can't jump it properly anymore, but then switch to another jump and it's ok until you jump 15-20 of them, it shouldn't be a stamina problem, I think. If this is the case, I agree with narcissa. And from experience I could add that, if the jump technique isn't perfect, doing it over and over, especially without supervision, easily worsens the not-so-perfect aspects of it (but since you know how to actually do it, the next time it's as good as new).

However it could also very well be a stamina issue, if your jumps worsen after 15-20 in total, depending on your athletic preparation. To make it a bit better, you could pause more between jumps to give your muscles and lungs time to recover.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
The more than likely answer is building stamina and sufficient muscle memory. Don't overdo it with jumps. Just do a handful on the session and go to something else like spins or edges.
Sometimes your body needs time to "reset" per se. I always warm up off ice with stretches and then edges, swizzles and more when I first get on and maybe a few spins to loosen up and get my body ready to jump. Then gradually jump "up" in difficulty. Then stop and go do MIF etc.

Biggest advice is: RELAX! Don't stress out over the jump issue or it's going to make it worse.

Good luck! :biggrin:

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
If I'm really struggling with something and feel it's getting worse I take a break and do something else. When I start overthinking things they often get harder. This morning I had some good axel attempts and then started to drop my should weirdly and couldn't figure out how to fix it. As soon as I started getting mad at myself I moved on. 30 minutes later when I went back to it it had improved and was better than my original attempts.

So sometimes the answer isn't to practice more but take a break and as Ic3Rabbit said, relax and work back up in jumps.

vlaurend

Final Flight
What you're describing is very typical. Every coach I've had has said that once I've managed to land 1 or 2 good jumps, stop doing that jump and move on to something else. Go for quality, not quantity. And don't practice doing it wrong, LOL!

treesprite

Final Flight
What you're describing is very typical. Every coach I've had has said that once I've managed to land 1 or 2 good jumps, stop doing that jump and move on to something else. Go for quality, not quantity. And don't practice doing it wrong, LOL!

Mine says basically the same thing.