Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Am I the only Maria Butyrskaya fan?

noskates

Record Breaker
I laughed out loud when I saw the title of this thread and that it wasn't started by MrRice.

mrrice

Record Breaker
^^^^KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM...................:laugh2::dance2::cheer2:

Maria was like Jennifer Robinson of Canada. I never cared about what other people thought of her. I loved her as a skater and as a person. She always so sweet in her interviews and the fact the she was drop dead gorgeous was simply a bonus......

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Oh dear. Isn't it a bit of an insult comparing Maria to Jennifer. There was some article Jennifer was pretty and did some triple jumps but rather blah as a figure skater.She was dominant in Canada when they had no top 5contender.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Oh dear. Isn't it a bit of an insult comparing Maria to Jennifer. There was some article Jennifer was pretty and did some triple jumps but rather blah as a figure skater.She was dominant in Canada when they had no top 5contender.

Listen Skater Boy......You have obviously never been winked at by J.R. ( My name for her after worlds in 2001) For a skater, she was very tall and looked like a Vogue Model.......Just stunning in person. For me to look at any skater other than Maria B. or David Pelltier in those days took a LOT. Okaaay. ;)

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
I just have to add to this thread that Maria was actually the reason why I got into figure skating. It was back in 1994, I was home sick with the flu and the European Championship was on Eurosport and I followed the whole event. The Eurosport commentators were great and the channel also had a figure skating school (this being an olympic year) that teached me how to see what sort of jump was coming. A whole new world opened up to me. And Maria Buturskaya and Olga Markova got my attention. These Russian girls were on fire!! (See link above to Maria's great performances this year). I was rooting for Maria and Olga after that. Markova wasn't around that long so soon Maria got my sole attention. It was wonderful to see that although there were ups and downs, she always pushed herself and continued to grow as a skater. Best skater ever! And I still can't believe why Maria wasn't in the lead after the short at the olympics 1998 which is probably my fave performance from her...:yahoo:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7dmp_GaJcw

LadyB

Record Breaker
mrrice, I just love you. :love:
Although this is not a thread for me, I had to pop by because I wanted to read your story. I could listen to you forever, not just for your knowledge about Maria, but because of your totally pure admiration and love for her on every level.
Well done, mate. That's proper passion. :ghug:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Whenever I see a thread with this kind of wording I resist the urge to go in and just post: yes

I can resist no more...

Yes

But no because I remember liking Maria's skating.

lyndichee

Medalist
^^^^KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM...................:laugh2::dance2::cheer2:

Maria was like Jennifer Robinson of Canada. I never cared about what other people thought of her. I loved her as a skater and as a person. She always so sweet in her interviews and the fact the she was drop dead gorgeous was simply a bonus......

I love this. Some people care TOO much about what other people think of their favourites. Just enjoy them for who they are. They don't have to be a record breaker, medal contender etc. to be appreciated.

I actually went to SOI 2015 and I remember Joannie's little video talked about how much she appreciated Jennifer Robinson's performance quality, especially in her exhibitions.

LeReveur

On the Ice
Choreography, interpretation... I give Maria higher marks than our current Olympic medalists. Not as a diss to them, but rather because I respect Maria's talents in those areas.

She should skate in some international adult competition that includes Tonya Harding, Lu Chen, Nicole Bobek, Elaine Zayak, et al. Heck, it doesn't have to be a competition. Even a show would be cool!

Ffc

Spectator
Maria Maria Maria

I was an American fan of Maria’s. She had maturity and a sinuous nature to her skating that I found appealing. She had many jumps and although some were better jumpers she brought something unique to the ice. She was very dramatic and she although could not match the charisma of Witt -in some ways her skating reminded me of her. She was feminine and dramatic. Unlike Katarina, however, the nerves got the best of her.

Maria was an adult and not a child when she reached her peak in 99. It is much different winning a world title at 28 then at 16. Because of that I rooted for her.

anthologyz

Rinkside
i absolutely loved maria in her heyday '97-00. even with the stiff knees and a music edit of "otonal" that sounded like it was recorded off an '80s tape recorder, she was dramatic, intense, and her own person on the ice!

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I absolutely loved Maria so much, I am happy to discover this thread. The beauty of her lines was unmatched. There are other skaters with amazing careers, beautiful skating skills, but Maria has her own well deserved place, among the legends of this sport.