Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018? | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Kostner's plan for the Lutz in 2018?

noidont

Final Flight
I don't think Kostner's programs this year are as good as Bolero and Ave Maria. I still expect (hope for) a change later in the season. Her ex is exquisite and deserves the PCS she is getting. Her current programs, not so much. That being said, Kostner is in the front run for Olympic bronze medal position at the moment. Silver with the lutz and 3t3t coming back all clean. I'm sure if that's what it takes the Lutz will find itself in Korea. It depends on Zagitova and Osmond's PCS over the season.

artsciboy

On the Ice
I know she just came back last season, but I'm surprised its taken her this long to relearn her lutz or to feel comfortable enough putting it into a program. I don't think the best strategy is for her to try it for the first time at the Olympics.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I know she just came back last season, but I'm surprised its taken her this long to relearn her lutz or to feel comfortable enough putting it into a program. I don't think the best strategy is for her to try it for the first time at the Olympics.

She seems to only incorporate jumps that she can execute successfully a high percentage of the time. She excluded the lutz in the seasons prior to Sochi but, once she brought it back, she rarely (if ever) missed it. I think we'll probably see an attempt at a lower risk event like Italian nationals or maybe a Senior B if she plans that because, whether or not it's as consistent as she wants it to be, she'll need it to medal at the Games.

daphna

On the Ice
no sign of the lutz at NHK this weekend. does anyone know if she's actually training it?

ask

Match Penalty
She doesn't need it if she can do a clean 6 triples LP.

Only 2-3 girls can beat her.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I know.
But the judges should send a clear message that to stay competitive, you must land more than 4 triples.
And they're not. So why should she add the lutz, one might say?

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Well Evgenia doesn't have a lutz either. That's never been a problem so far. ;)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
She doesn't need it if she can do a clean 6 triples LP.

Only 2-3 girls can beat her.

This is true, but it's a shame that someone as good as Polina can't compete because she gives up 16 points in PCS to Caro. One thing I liked about the scoring in Sochi is that you had a lot of skaters within PCS band of a few points, so Julia, Gracie, and a few others also had legitimate shots at the podium. If Polina does 10 clean jumping passes and top level spins in two programs can't beat Caro with a 4 triple LP including a fall and an invalid jump element, it's pretty much hopeless for most others.

moriel

Record Breaker
no sign of the lutz at NHK this weekend. does anyone know if she's actually training it?

I dont think so - its pretty clear that she doesnt need it, as she can easily have a podium placement with 4-5 triples only.

fredtx121

On the Ice
Only way for her not to be on the podium is if she chokes like she did at the 2006 Olympics or the 2009 Worlds. The judges will give her the marks unfortunately if she just stays on her feet and completes 4 triples. smh.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Yuna Kim didn’t do 3Loop either, and she won WC and Olympic without it. So I agree with that.

Yuna didn't do a 3Lo after 2008 because it had a risk of bringing back her spine issue. Evgenia doesn't do the lutz because her technique is flawed and she flutzes every single time. Her 3Lo is often the textbook example of what NOT to do under the ISU rulebook. (Here's more info on this with the actual ISU jump video.)

Evgenia should be getting an edge call for the flutz. Every single time. My comment is valid but your conclusion isn't (again, see above video for a visual comparison with the ISU jump video).

ask

Match Penalty
This is true, but it's a shame that someone as good as Polina can't compete because she gives up 16 points in PCS to Caro. One thing I liked about the scoring in Sochi is that you had a lot of skaters within PCS band of a few points, so Julia, Gracie, and a few others also had legitimate shots at the podium. If Polina does 10 clean jumping passes and top level spins in two programs can't beat Caro with a 4 triple LP including a fall and an invalid jump element, it's pretty much hopeless for most others.

Polina did beat Kostner in the LP by a few points.
It´s a shame someone miming a ridiculous SP and then a LP are coming that close to Kostner. How is Polina´s PCS so high out of the gate with really terrible programs, terrible choreo, terrible and basic interpretation?

Purv

Match Penalty
Yuna Kim didn’t do 3Loop either, and she won WC and Olympic without it. So I agree with that.

Yuna didnt do 3 loop thats the point , because she couldnt , so she didnt do it, whats your point? where do you see the resemblence?
Evgenia pretends that she does it CLEAR, and with her flutz called E she couldnt NEVER get such scores like 150+ believe me.But she cheats , judges pretends that dont see it and she gets full points for it ..Calling an e is VERY costly...what has yuna got with it?it is about justice. We dont talk about which skater cannot be able to execute all jumps if it was a crime...some skater have better loop, other flip. But if you execute one, do it good and honestly. Yuna wasnt able to do loop, so she didnt do it. Winning a gold doesnt mean you have to do ALL jumps

Purv

Match Penalty
Yuna didn't do a 3Lo after 2008 because it had a risk of bringing back her spine issue. Evgenia doesn't do the lutz because her technique is flawed and she flutzes every single time. Her 3Lo is often the textbook example of what NOT to do under the ISU rulebook. (Here's more info on this with the actual ISU jump video.)

Evgenia should be getting an edge call for the flutz. Every single time. My comment is valid but your conclusion isn't (again, see above video for a visual comparison with the ISU jump video).

You should post it in thread about Evgenia Medviedeva....It is amazing!Ans yes ,when you look at them both in the same tiime, yunas loop when she was able to execute it was better than evgernia's now..Textbook.Zhenia cheats it is not her fault,actually Thats the way how they teach now
It is from ISU?

Ender

Match Penalty
Yuna didnt do 3 loop thats the point , because she couldnt , so she didnt do it, whats your point? where do you see the resemblence?
Evgenia pretends that she does it CLEAR, and with her flutz called E she couldnt NEVER get such scores like 150+ believe me.But she cheats , judges pretends that dont see it and she gets full points for it ..Calling an e is VERY costly...what has yuna got with it?it is about justice. We dont talk about which skater cannot be able to execute all jumps if it was a crime...some skater have better loop, other flip. But if you execute one, do it good and honestly. Yuna wasnt able to do loop, so she didnt do it. Winning a gold doesnt mean you have to do ALL jumps
I am sure had Yuna Kim had to do the 3Loop to win Vancouver, she would have trained it. The rule of those days allowed her to pass the 3Loop. That’s all.

But Yuna Kim still scored 148 with only 6 triples. Why are people attacking Carolina Kostner for not having a Lutz for now?

yyyskate

Record Breaker
I am sure had Yuna Kim had to do the 3Loop to win Vancouver, she would have trained it. The rule of those days allowed her to pass the 3Loop. That’s all.

But Yuna Kim still scored 148 with only 6 triples. Why are people attacking Carolina Kostner for not having a Lutz for now?

even without 3loop, Yuna's TES slayed the competition.

Can CaroK without lutz's TES be competitive with the competition? That is the question mark.

As long as CaroK wins competition with decent TES, just decent, nobody will attack her. And nobody will care about what kinda jumps she put out there as long as it is within the rule book and GOE not too outrageous.