2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

da96103

Record Breaker
Apparently Samarin landed a good quad lutz at a competition in Russia this week. (I haven't watched the video).

Will put a side note for Samarin as well. Russian boys are getting their non-axel quads and not a season too soon for the Olympics.

da96103

Record Breaker
Updated:

As the first GP Rostelecom is going to start next week, let's look at

2017/2018 Pre-GP Quad Progress

US CLASSIC
Nathan Chen: 4Lo GOE +1.60 Nathan becomes the fourth person to do the 4Lo (after Krasnozhon, Hanyu and Uno)*. This also means Nathan has successfully executed all 5 non-axel quads. Will be awaiting for all five to appear in one long program.
Yaroslav Paniot: 4F GOE +1.00 Yaroslav becomes the third person to do the 4F (after Uno and Nathan)
Daniel Samohin: 4Lo carrot fall

*Nic Nadeau has landed 4Lo at Canadian Nationals 2017 earlier.

LOMBARDIA
Shoma Uno: 4S GOE +0.80 Shoma also successfully executed his first 5-quad program. He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lz.

AUTUMN CLASSIC
No new quads

ONDREJ NEPELA
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz carrot fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz fall
Mikhail Kolyada: 4Lz GOE +2.00 Mikhail becomes the 5th person to do the 4Lz (after Mroz, Jin, Chen and Zhou)**. He now has three different non-axel quads, missing 4F and 4Lo.
Alexander Samarin: 4Lz double carrot fall

** Dmitri Aliev and Alexander Samarin have landed 4Lz's in domestic competitions.

NEBELHORN
No new quads

[COLOR="#00800"]FINLANDIA
Vincent Zhou: 4F (in combination +3T) GOE +0.50.
Vincent Zhou: 4F solo GOE +1.17
Vincent becomes the 4th person to do the 4F (after Uno, Chen and Paniot). He now has 4 different non-axel quads, missing 4Lo.
Adam Rippon: 4Lz carrot fall
Kevin Reynolds: 4Lo double carrot[/COLOR]

So that's it folks. If I am missing someone in the seniors or those in the junior competition, please let me know.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Please tell me this is a huge joke on your part. If you truly believe this, then that is sad. Yes maybe those men will be the future but not until at least 2022 if even then.

I think the "youngsters" Sabrina is referring to may be Uno, Jin, and Nathan.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

There was no indication of that. And the point I was questioning was that Chan would not be chosen over Roman etc...:rolleye:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
There was no indication of that.

The indication is that Sabrina says "Patrick is the best in Canada."

Which led me to interpret that the youngsters who would have to implode for him not to be on the podium must not be Canadian youngsters.

Which led me to interpret that the podium she is referring to is not the National podium but an international podium.

Perhaps, I am interpreting her incorrectly also, but maybe wait for clarity here.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Agree. All have a chance to make the Olympic podium. Jin already beat Chan at 2016 Worlds, and both Jin and Uno beat Chan at 2017 Worlds. In his first trip to Worlds, Nathan finished right behind Chan and beat him in the FS.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Which led me to interpret that the youngsters who would have to implode for him not to be on the podium must not be Canadian youngsters.

Which led me to interpret that the podium she is referring to is not the National podium but an international podium.

Perhaps, I am interpreting her incorrectly also, but maybe wait for clarity here.

But they were discussing Canadian Nationals to even get to Olympics. That is what we were discussing and what my OP was based from. Can we please move along now?!!

Sabrina

Record Breaker

You are right. I was thinking of the world/olympics podium. And the youngsters are Boyang, Uno, Chen, Hanyu and others

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
I just want to see a clean (or at least 90%) clean program. I don't want to see it like Sochi again...and some appropriate scoring

It seems that its gonna be a battle of four/five quad-ers, so in the most likely sense the podium should be a battle between Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang, who all have have a full load of quads and skating skills and presentation. Patrick and Javier, will have to be at their absolute best (like Patrick at 2016 4CC and Javier at 2016 Worlds) to have a chance at the podium, they will also need some "help" from other skater. Of course I hope no one will be "helping" others.

I think everyone should just do their own very best without considering any medal. It is just stressing all us out. It is the Olympic, seize the moment and make it shine. Even you don't medal people will still remember you.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Other dream, I hope Roman Sadovsky skates well and goes to Olympics, though with 2 spots....what if both Nam and Roman beat Patric at nationals. Unfortunately, judges might not allow this to happen unless they are replaced with robots.

Sabrina :

this is why some of us are confused as for you, it would be more fortunate to send Nam and Roman to the games...

Regarding youngsters being so much ahead, you listed Javi as your dream winner...as far as i know, Javi and Chiddy share the same quad content....

that's why we are confused.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Sabrina :

this is why some of us are confused as for you, it would be more fortunate to send Nam and Roman to the games...

Regarding youngsters being so much ahead, you listed Javi as your dream winner...as far as i know, Javi and Chiddy share the same quad content....

that's why we are confused.
I don't want to be the black sheep of the pack as I did not mean to say Patrick is not worth of going to the Olympics. I know Patrick, like most other skaters may have bad days when you really should focus on being good. So, I just thought, many Canadian skaters if skate clean, with 2 or more quads, 3A etc, should beat a faulty Patrick. Nam, Roman, Nicolas, Kevin could be ahead only if Patrick makes more than one mistake. I really hope all men skate clean, so Patrick will go, but I have no idea who is the second one.
Something is true about me, is that I don't like judges that use GOE and TES in order to separate skaters when they shouldn't. Why do they give high GOE when there are pops and falls in a program?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I don't want to be the black sheep of the pack as I did not mean to say Patrick is not worth of going to the Olympics. I know Patrick, like most other skaters may have bad days when you really should focus on being good. So, I just thought, many Canadian skaters if skate clean, with 2 or more quads, 3A etc, should beat a faulty Patrick. Nam, Roman, Nicolas, Kevin could be ahead only if Patrick makes more than one mistake. I really hope all men skate clean, so Patrick will go, but I have no idea who is the second one.

Patrick is so far above the rest in Canada that for any of them to "beat" him it would take a phenomenal YOLO blowout skate as well as a big disaster from Patrick, like his SC 2009 skate when he just came off his injury, which is extremely unlikely. Au contraire, Patrick usually has his best performance at the Nationals.

Something is true about me, is that I don't like judges that use GOE and TES in order to separate skaters when they shouldn't. Why do they give high GOE when there are pops and falls in a program?

GOE are given on each executed element independent of the rest of the program. TES is the total of BV+GOE of all the executed elements. These scores are given based on the skater's elements executed and their individual quality. Elements with pops and falls are duely scored and penalized but have no effect on others elements' scores. PCS may be used like ordinals because they are capped and more subjective than technical scores which have more precise bullet points to base on.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NONE of Nam, Roman, Nicolas or Kevin should beat Patrick even if he makes FOUR mistakes. Nam has improved, but he is still so s..l..o..w. Roman has yet to deliver anything close to a clean FS, and his 3a is still mostly MIA. Nicolas can be entertaining, but he, too, is far from flawless. Kevin can't seem to get his jumps all the way around. And ultimately, none of them have Patrick's skating skills. Yes, Patrick has his jump problems---but they do, too.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
NONE of Nam, Roman, Nicolas or Kevin should beat Patrick even if he makes FOUR mistakes. Nam has improved, but he is still so s..l..o..w. Roman has yet to deliver anything close to a clean FS, and his 3a is still mostly MIA. Nicolas can be entertaining, but he, too, is far from flawless. Kevin can't seem to get his jumps all the way around. And ultimately, none of them have Patrick's skating skills. Yes, Patrick has his jump problems---but they do, too.

A couple of years ago, I had Nam pegged as the next superstar. But he never progressed very much... in fact, I liked him less when I last saw him than I did the first time.

Many people say you can't really see "speed" on a video, but I agree with you. He just looks slow and labored.

He may show magnificent improvement this season and win the Olympics in a shocker - and no one will be more thrilled than I. But, right now, he's one of the biggest disappointments I can remember.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
FWIW : i saw Nam at Nationals... 2017... SUPER SLOW....
I saw Nam at ACI 2017... MUCH Faster, especially going into his jumps... he was faster than many there... you would be surprised. Does he still need to improve? Yes... but I would consider him average at this point... He has improved a lot.

Honestly, I find it funny to see the glass half empty vision of Canadian skating... take it from this perspective : in 2014, Patrick retired.... everyone thought it was the end of male skating in Canada for a while... no more top tens for a while... Kevin was having all sorts of boot issues and hip problems... but then... young kiddo Nam managed, with his consistent jumping to get to the top 5 in the world....

Patrick returned the year after. Nam had grown half a foot and could no longer jump... ... Kevin was struggling... everyone else was as well... but bang... Nic won the silver at junior worlds.... of course, he got injured after that and was sidelined for a long time....

2017 WC... Patrick and Kevin nearly clinched 3 spots for the Olympics....

2017-18 season... Patrick seems to have stabilized his brand new 4s as seen on early footage of his programs... he also had two wonderful triple axels in there... his 4t-3t looks even better than before...

Sure.... people can say he has jump problems... to me it's not jump problems... it's just not enough quads... and that is for multiple reasons, including remaining healthy. THe goal for him is to skate well at the Olympics, no matter where he ends. Previous ones, the goal was to win... right now, the situation is different... so without saying that he is no longer a contender, without forgetting that Olympics can bring very unexpected results, all a lot of Patrick fans wish for him, is good and happy skates.... that's all...

Who will be on the team? It could be any of many guys ;) including Liam and Elladj who haven't been mentioned... Elladj w/d from ACI so I didn't see him this year... but Liam skated very well in the USA.... best in a long time, including landing his 4t.

Nam is driven to have 4 quads (toes and sals) and looks very improved... Kevin is not ready obviously as he pretty much took the summer off focusing on school so he could train full-time in the fall for the games... So yup... new programs... new quad.. (quad loop) carrots... well.. that's a sign, adding the 4loop, that he takes his chances seriously and wants to be back at the games. He is a very smart individual with very fast rotation. If he gets his timing back, he could get credit for his jumps and when he does... he is competitive.

Nic is a wild card : he does have some quads... in practice... lands regularly a 4t and beautiful 3as... but I am not sure how he is holding up. He is a great performer and if he is healthy for a stretch, I would not discount him from making the team.

Roman is more of a question mark. His 3a is giving him a hard time... His 4S is much improved and more stable.

There is Keegan who is working on his 4lutz and has done beautiful 4lz-3t in practice. He has great and playful programs this year.

I don't think the situation is a dire as it is painted to be... and i will go further... Patrick, Liam, Kevin and Elladj will retire... and still, with Stephen, Joseph, Conrad, Nam, Nic and Roman, I wouldn't say that it is problematic yet. There is a next generation of skaters, all having quads and 3a already landed in competition... I am fine with saying that Canadian skaters are not consistent... because, really.... who is skating 2 clean programs competition after competition nowadays? Nobody...

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I can add a 2nd voice having seen Nam twice this season. His speed's up. He's not fast, but he's better than he was before he got to YRSA.

I am still surprised Kevin brought back the 4Lo. He's a man on a mission. An inconsistent man, but I would give him a chance.

rabbit1234

On the Ice
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/SEG002.HTM

11 Yuzuru HANYU  
12 Nathan CHEN

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMlQn6TVQAEiCuO.jpg

Does Tomorrow disturb Nathan, the final competitor?

There were times when Pooh which a fan threw was likely to be thrown one after another on the head of the next competitor.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/837283542572773376/pu/vid/1280x720/mHkkMSqtPqWD7jKM.mp4
They also do not think about the safety of the competitor.
In such a situation that such big things are thrown in, the competitor may be injured.

That's like tennis, before the service game of the important scene of the final set 6 - 6, the audience throws a stuffed toy into the court and interferes with the service games.

Why do you leave the situation where competitors can not compete under the same conditions?
For sports, it is fundamental to align conditions of each competitor.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker

da96103

Record Breaker
http://www.isuresults.com/results/season1718/gprus2017/SEG002.HTM

11 Yuzuru HANYU  
12 Nathan CHEN

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/DMlQn6TVQAEiCuO.jpg

Does Tomorrow disturb Nathan, the final competitor?

There were times when Pooh which a fan threw was likely to be thrown one after another on the head of the next competitor.
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/837283542572773376/pu/vid/1280x720/mHkkMSqtPqWD7jKM.mp4
They also do not think about the safety of the competitor.
In such a situation that such big things are thrown in, the competitor may be injured.

That's like tennis, before the service game of the important scene of the final set 6 - 6, the audience throws a stuffed toy into the court and interferes with the service games.

Why do you leave the situation where competitors can not compete under the same conditions?
For sports, it is fundamental to align conditions of each competitor.

The Pooh avalanche was crazy today at SP. but Nathan is a veteran competitor. He knows what to do.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
FWIW : i saw Nam at Nationals... 2017... SUPER SLOW....
I saw Nam at ACI 2017... MUCH Faster, especially going into his jumps... he was faster than many there... you would be surprised. Does he still need to improve? Yes... but I would consider him average at this point... He has improved a lot.

I respect your opinions immensely, especially as the pertain to the Canadian skating scene.

But, I've got to say I just watched his SP at Rostelecom, and this newfound speed and energy is still not revealing itself on video.

I know that the growth he's had since his initial success hampers the jumps. But, if anything, it should result in more power. He just looks weak in comparison to the other men. I hope for better.

I had forgotten about Liam. I saw his FS in one of the summer comps, and it was wonderful. Free and easy movement, nice style. I'm a new fan.