Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Thread: 2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

Medalist

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ic3Rabbit View Post
    There was no indication of that.
    The indication is that Sabrina says "Patrick is the best in Canada."

Which led me to interpret that the youngsters who would have to implode for him not to be on the podium must not be Canadian youngsters.

Which led me to interpret that the podium she is referring to is not the National podium but an international podium.

Perhaps, I am interpreting her incorrectly also, but maybe wait for clarity here.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ice Dance View Post
    I think the "youngsters" Sabrina is referring to may be Uno, Jin, and Nathan.
    Agree. All have a chance to make the Olympic podium. Jin already beat Chan at 2016 Worlds, and both Jin and Uno beat Chan at 2017 Worlds. In his first trip to Worlds, Nathan finished right behind Chan and beat him in the FS.

Because backflips are sexy.... Ic3Rabbit's Avatar

3 Not allowed!

Which led me to interpret that the youngsters who would have to implode for him not to be on the podium must not be Canadian youngsters.

Which led me to interpret that the podium she is referring to is not the National podium but an international podium.

Perhaps, I am interpreting her incorrectly also, but maybe wait for clarity here.
    But they were discussing Canadian Nationals to even get to Olympics. That is what we were discussing and what my OP was based from. Can we please move along now?!!

Medalist

2 Not allowed!

You are right. I was thinking of the world/olympics podium. And the youngsters are Boyang, Uno, Chen, Hanyu and others

Steps and Spirals enthusiast nolangoh's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    I just want to see a clean (or at least 90%) clean program. I don't want to see it like Sochi again...and some appropriate scoring

It seems that its gonna be a battle of four/five quad-ers, so in the most likely sense the podium should be a battle between Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathan, Boyang, who all have have a full load of quads and skating skills and presentation. Patrick and Javier, will have to be at their absolute best (like Patrick at 2016 4CC and Javier at 2016 Worlds) to have a chance at the podium, they will also need some "help" from other skater. Of course I hope no one will be "helping" others.

I think everyone should just do their own very best without considering any medal. It is just stressing all us out. It is the Olympic, seize the moment and make it shine. Even you don't medal people will still remember you.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    Other dream, I hope Roman Sadovsky skates well and goes to Olympics, though with 2 spots....what if both Nam and Roman beat Patric at nationals. Unfortunately, judges might not allow this to happen unless they are replaced with robots.
    Sabrina :

this is why some of us are confused as for you, it would be more fortunate to send Nam and Roman to the games...

Regarding youngsters being so much ahead, you listed Javi as your dream winner...as far as i know, Javi and Chiddy share the same quad content....

that's why we are confused.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4everchan View Post
    Sabrina :

this is why some of us are confused as for you, it would be more fortunate to send Nam and Roman to the games...

Regarding youngsters being so much ahead, you listed Javi as your dream winner...as far as i know, Javi and Chiddy share the same quad content....

that's why we are confused.
    I don't want to be the black sheep of the pack as I did not mean to say Patrick is not worth of going to the Olympics. I know Patrick, like most other skaters may have bad days when you really should focus on being good. So, I just thought, many Canadian skaters if skate clean, with 2 or more quads, 3A etc, should beat a faulty Patrick. Nam, Roman, Nicolas, Kevin could be ahead only if Patrick makes more than one mistake. I really hope all men skate clean, so Patrick will go, but I have no idea who is the second one.
    Something is true about me, is that I don't like judges that use GOE and TES in order to separate skaters when they shouldn't. Why do they give high GOE when there are pops and falls in a program?

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina View Post
    I don't want to be the black sheep of the pack as I did not mean to say Patrick is not worth of going to the Olympics. I know Patrick, like most other skaters may have bad days when you really should focus on being good. So, I just thought, many Canadian skaters if skate clean, with 2 or more quads, 3A etc, should beat a faulty Patrick. Nam, Roman, Nicolas, Kevin could be ahead only if Patrick makes more than one mistake. I really hope all men skate clean, so Patrick will go, but I have no idea who is the second one.
    Patrick is so far above the rest in Canada that for any of them to "beat" him it would take a phenomenal YOLO blowout skate as well as a big disaster from Patrick, like his SC 2009 skate when he just came off his injury, which is extremely unlikely. Au contraire, Patrick usually has his best performance at the Nationals.

Something is true about me, is that I don't like judges that use GOE and TES in order to separate skaters when they shouldn't. Why do they give high GOE when there are pops and falls in a program?
    GOE are given on each executed element independent of the rest of the program. TES is the total of BV+GOE of all the executed elements. These scores are given based on the skater's elements executed and their individual quality. Elements with pops and falls are duely scored and penalized but have no effect on others elements' scores. PCS may be used like ordinals because they are capped and more subjective than technical scores which have more precise bullet points to base on.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16