2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Shomo will battle Yuzuru and Nathan for gold. Boyang and Fernandez could sneak on the podium too. The person I most want to win after eharing him speak and loving his actual skating is Patrick. There are so many reasons why. Shomo, Nathan and boyang can wait their turn lol. I don't think the scoring system is all that fair or great in that it emphasizes tech so much. Jumps. My logic may not seem reasonable to some and that's okay ssince the question is who do we want to win. There is somethign so pure and clean about Chan's skatinga and presentation and truly after years of being bashed he is actually better than Sochi if that is possible skating skill wise. But the system does not reward him now at all. Hanyu has his gold and honestly should be grateful - right time right place. There are so many good men and not enoguh medals really. Fernadez, Hanyu, Chen, Ten, Boyang Shomo not to mention Chan, Brown, ,Rippon Yan and the Russian flavor of the day. Boyang, Chen are alittle too much jumpy for me. Brown is a Chan in waiting but if Chan is lacking tech prowess Jason moreso. Rippon has never gotten it all together while Yan and Ten have been losing their grip. Shomo seems to want it.

But if there was a magical wand let Canada and Chan have the long awaited men's gold. Canada has been rather unlucky if you can call it. Orser, Brown, Stojko, Buttle, Chan all worthy OGM. Ijust don't think the system especially favors Chan. And I don't think we will see the injury issues perhaps show up for another year or two in respect to the push for tech. You do have to worry about the skaters forget the gold medal.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Shomo will win the Gold! Mark my words. Second will be Shumo Dos. Third...it's a toss between Shona Tres and Shamu Tres, the twins. Too bad for Shoma Uno that sooo many rivals arrived on the scene this season. But what can he do? These guys are too many and too strong. :palmf:

Nocturne

On the Ice
My dream Podium is Patrick winning, Javi 2nd and a tie for bronze for Yuzu and Boyang xD

I know it's never going to happen because Patrick sadly lacks the TES (and Javi as well) to compete with 4-5 quads programs, but a girl can dream...

More realistically will be Yuzu repeating his win with Nathan and Shoma completing the podium.
If that is to happen, I wish for Canada to win the team event so that Patrick still gets this elusive Gold medal :D

padme21

On the Ice
Dream podium:
1.Yuzuru
2.Nathan
3.Javier

Realistic podium:
1.Shoma (judges love him)
2.Yuzuru (don't see the judges letting him repeat)
3.Nathan or Boyang

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Realistic podium:
3.Nathan or Boyang

If the judges, who you think far from neutral, 'loved' Shoma so much more than Yuzuru they would've made him win Worlds this year. A little tweaking and he could've gotten those two points more he needed. As it is they didn't, and rightly so. The only one who can prevent Yuzuru from getting that second gold is Yuzuru.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Dream Podium:

1. Yuzuru
2. Nathan
3. Javier

1. I think if Yuzu skates clean he is unbeatable. His nerves and consistency will be his biggest hurdles this season. I want him to get this second OG because, to me, he is a true genius.

2. Realistically, I think Shoma is probably going to podium instead, but out of the newcomers I like Nathan best because of his clean jumps, and he's shown so much improvement!

3. I just want Javi to get an Olympic medal before he retires. He really deserves it.

Ender

Match Penalty
1) Hanyu
2) Nathan Chen / Patrick Chan
3) Boyang Jin / Javier Fernandez

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
Dream podium:
1.Yuzuru
2.Nathan
3.Javier

Realistic podium:
3.Nathan or Boyang

ITA with both lists. Don't get judges loving Shoma so much.

BabblingBrook

On the Ice
Yuzu is my favourite, so of course I'm really rooting for him to get a second gold (and knowing him, if he's in a good headspace, he's capable of doing anything), but considering that it's probably Javi's last Olympics, he really deserves to win - or at least get a medal. Also... Shoma is really close to my heart, and I think (and hope) he can get on the podium.
Honestly, I just want them to show their best out there, have a good time, and be the geniuses they are.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Really hoping Keegan Messing can make the Canadian team. So proud of how he's fought to the success he's seeing now in Canada. USFSA, you done screwed up on that one.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker

Who are you rooting for this season and why?

Nathan.

Because I like Nathan. I've liked Nathan since seeing him live when he was ten, but he became a favorite circa 2014-15 when he spent the season injured and unable to compete the triple axel but fought his own way forward anyway. Then the 2015-16 JGP at Colorado Springs when he just HIT everything. He has guts. Forges ahead of the field. He ups the ante and ups the ante and ups the ante. He tells you he's going to do something & you think no way & then he does it. He tells you he's not going to do something and then he goes out & does it. He has good competitions and bad competitions, just like all the guys; but he gets in this zone where everything works and he clicks through these impossible elements like they are nothing.

And I love his programs this season, especially the free skate.

After Nathan, I think Javi. Because he is such an entertainer. He really emotes to the crowd, and he didn't get that medal in Sochi so I would love to see him get one here. After all the great performances he's given us, I'd love to see him get that Olympic medal.

And, again, I have the potential to love his free skate.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gold: Javier Fernandez. I adored his Don Quixote at first viewing and have already re-watched it a few times.. The thing that is so special about Javi is the emotion he creates with the music, his movement, and his engagement with the audience. He is without equal in the men's field. His jumps are gorgeous too. His skating in DQ is romantic, expansive, and filled with heart.:luv17:

Silver: Nathan Chen. This young man has It. He's got this half-easy-going, quiet demeanor, and inside is one of the most driven of competitors. And I love his remarkable skating. The thrill of his jumps. The way he expresses his personality and passion on the ice. His artistry, which is genuine.:luv17:

Bronze: Adam Rippon, a poet on ice. A girl can dream. :luv17: I wish he'd reprise his Beatles medley, but Bird will do.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
like almost all of the men so Im torn:slink:
Mainly rooting for Javi & Boyasha :luv17:
Yuzu is king dont get me wrong but I almost always root for someone who doesnt already have an Oly medal:biggrin: Imo Javi getting it would be so great to crown for all his achievements & as a person from small fed & generally for Euro male skating.:love:

& obv both Mishas I really root to be as high as possible:pray:

lennicky

Rinkside
Hi!
I wish Javi would win the olympic medal that he deserves so much. It would be wonderful if he won the gold one because, to my mind, he represents what figure skating is and should go on being in the following years: a mix of technique and interpretation.
If a skater such as chen or boyang won the gold medal, the message for future generations of skaters would be: the more quads you do, the more possibilities you have to win a competition. And consequently, figure skating would become artistic gymnastics on ice, and it would be terrible.
On the other hand, I would like yozu and shoma to get a medal too because I think that they and Javi are the three best skaters in the world and they represent the essence of figure skating currently

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
+ I recently came from my vacation in Spain so I may be a BIT biased:p:p:p:p what a beautifu place!:love:
so go Javi!:biggrin:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Two wishes:

Max on the Olympic team, to deliver the skates I know he can;

Brendan to obliterate those memories of Sochi, with the skates of his life.