2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I almost always root for someone who doesnt already have an Oly medal:biggrin: Imo Javi getting it would be so great to crown for all his achievements & as a person from small fed & generally for Euro male skating.:love:

So do I, especially when they've won gold already. I know all the arguments for people trying for yet another Olympic gold medal; but it's the pinnacle of the sport. The experience, for everyone, is more meaningful when it's shared among all the different athletes who are every one of them genius in their own way.

Hi!
I wish Javi would win the olympic medal that he deserves so much. It would be wonderful if he won the gold one because, to my mind, he represents what figure skating is and should go on being in the following years: a mix of technique and interpretation.

:agree:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I'm pretty sure Yuzuru will win if he says healthy. I like him very much and feel he is good for the sport. My heart is with Shoma though. I'd not be unhappy with two Japanese and Javi on the Olympic podium. But in the end I think it would be fine with me if anyone of about a 10 guys were on the podium. There are so many good men to choose from. I do hope Javi gets a medal. I'll probably feel nearly as sad if he doesn't as I do that Kurt does not have an Olympic medal.

Mussique

On the Ice
Please Javi, get a medal. I'll cry if you don't. I'll also cry if you do. I'll just cry.
But, like, his FS this year is about impossible dreams. How much more explicit can you get when you are a figure skater from a country that when you started had 7 rinks in total? I also just love him. I have fun watching his programs, I just can't take my eyes off him, and that's surprising.
The other spots on the podium... well, I think Hanyu deserves it if he does the program justice. And Brian Orser is such a sweetie, it'd be ideal.
Lastly... ok, so I cried the first time I heard O from Coldplay. And there's a thing when you see someone skating one of your favorite songs. That'd be Rippon. But many, many skaters would deserve to medal this year. It's going to be pretty competitive. Shoma, Nathan. But if Javi got the podium... wow.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
+ I recently came from my vacation in Spain so I may be a BIT biased:p:p:p:p what a beautifu place!:love:
so go Javi!:biggrin:

canada should invite you for a wonderful trip... i wouldn't mind our taxes paying for that just to see you cheer for d/r and chiddy
muhahahahahaha

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
canada should invite you for a wonderful trip... i wouldn't mind our taxes paying for that just to see you cheer for d/r and chiddy
muhahahahahaha
:rofl::rofl:
I already cheer for enough canadians:cool: (& to be fair I loved Javi before my trip as well:biggrin:)

Srssly even I attended a Barcelona game!:love: still overwhelmed! Messi scored 4 goals!:cool::dance3:
lol sorry for the OT:laugh::slink: i will be rooting for all spanish athletes now it seems:laugh:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
:rofl::rofl:
I already cheer for enough canadians:cool: (& to be fair I loved Javi before my trip as well:biggrin:)

Srssly even I attended a Barcelona game!:love: still overwhelmed! Messi scored 4 goals!:cool::dance3:
lol sorry for the OT:laugh::slink: i will be rooting for all spanish athletes now it seems:laugh:

Does this mean you'll be rooting for whatever Spanish ID team makes the Olympics?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:rofl:

well... i loved barcelona too when i went there... i forgive you... not sure what I can do to convince you that patrick deserves all the love in the world ;) haha but it's okay... to each his/her own... btw... i love guadeloupe... i have been there and I cheer for all their figure skaters as well...

sc8

On the Ice
We fans are blessed to have an embarrassment of riches with so many talented men- Patrick, Javier, Yuzuru, Shoma, Nathen, Jason- to name only some of my favorites. I hope they all do their very best and entertain us all! I'm from US, so I'd like to see an American, most likely Nathen, grab an Olympic medal. But, it's crazy competitive right now - the most competitive I can recall.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'd love to see Nathan take gold. He is thentotal package. Boyang is getting better but justbhate his outfits music etc. so not rooting for him despite his many quads. I think Shoma may pull off a medal. Javi was a fave of mine before his world titles and I would love to see him get a medal. Yusu wil likely be on thatnstand tho unless he melts down. If he is awesome I'll root for him but I'd rather see a newly minted champ.

At any rate I look forward to skaters I hope to see like max Aaron and Jason esp. but it will either be quadfest or messy splatfest. Really it's going to be a great fight unlike the ladies Gold in singles. It is a coronation like 2010.

bobbob

Medalist
My concern is that the Men's competition will be a splatfest like in 2014. Certainly probably not as likely given the great skating this quad, but with the added pressure anything is possible.

Uno has been receiving really high scores lately, especially for quads that are (IMO) clearly under-rotated as well as pre-rotated. As much as I hate to say it, realistically speaking, he is at least co-favorites with Hanyu. Of course, this is not my wish but rather what I think is realistic given what has been happening in the scoring for the two skaters. Hanyu still has a higher bar if both are clean but Uno tends to be a bit more scrappy than Hanyu. Which I think is unfair because, believe me, it is much harder to land a 4Lo Hanyu style than Uno style. Fernandez is just a little sloppy skating wise for me, but he deserves credit for his lively performances and is certainly a contender. Chen will rely on his jumps but with everyone else racing ahead as well, both him and Jin will have to rely on a little bit of help from the other competitors (or on improving their PCS, quickly). Chan, of course, is still Chan with excellent skating skills but for him to win, it's hard. He has to skate clean and everyone else needs to make more than one major mistake.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
If Nathan cleanly lands seven quads in the lp, no one can touch him. His lp pcs should be over 90 by the Olympics and a 4-5 point pcs cushion will not be enough for Yuzuru, et. al. to keep him off the top of the podium. The question is....will Nathan land all seven?????

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
If Nathan cleanly lands seven quads in the lp, no one can touch him. His lp pcs should be over 90 by the Olympics and a 4-5 point pcs cushion will not be enough for Yuzuru, et. al. to keep him off the top of the podium. The question is....will Nathan land all seven?????

And can he land them all with positive GOE?

HanDomi

Record Breaker

If Hanyu will land his lp layout clean then even seven quads from Chen won't be enough.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
Does this mean you'll be rooting for whatever Spanish ID team makes the Olympics?
err it will be hard for me to root for Smart/Diaz (imo them beating McNamara(sp?) is ridic:slink:)

well... i loved barcelona too when i went there... i forgive you... not sure what I can do to convince you that patrick deserves all the love in the world ;) haha but it's okay... to each his/her own... btw... i love guadeloupe... i have been there and I cheer for all their figure skaters as well...
yeah our Guadeloupan(sp?) skaters will soon show the whole world what they're capable of!:dance:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
How much would Hanyu score if he’s clean his intended layout?

According to Ambesi his base value for Semei 2.0 is 111.26, compared to the BV for last year's FS that was 103.43 - so the potential score is huge.