2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Men's Figure Skating

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Just a word of wisdom... last time we heard those " a clean Hanyu is not beatable" sentences.... we heard them for about 6 months... what happened? Worlds in Boston.

Many skaters have since then, including Yuzuru himself, upgraded their layouts to max out base value.... I believe that the cleanest will win... PCS is no longer as important as before as most of the quadsters are only a few points behind some others..... so can we just not get into this perpetual debate of talking about which layout will win as what matters in the end is which layout is skated...

I am just trying to save myself from reading the same thing over and over for another six months :) We all know a couple skaters have ambitious programs but it means nothing if they pop jumps.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Just a word of wisdom... last time we heard those " a clean Hanyu is not beatable" sentences.... we heard them for about 6 months... what happened? Worlds in Boston.

Many skaters have since then, including Yuzuru himself, upgraded their layouts to max out base value.... I believe that the cleanest will win... PCS is no longer as important as before as most of the quadsters are only a few points behind some others..... so can we just not get into this perpetual debate of talking about which layout will win as what matters in the end is which layout is skated...

I am just trying to save myself from reading the same thing over and over for another six months :) We all know a couple skaters have ambitious programs but it means nothing if they pop jumps.

Well, he wasn't clean in Boston though.

Regardless, anything is absolutely possible at the Olympics, especially for the 'quadsters', as you said! Regarding how close the quadsters are in PCS, I was listening to Ambesi's podcast today, and he was arguing that the judges tend to give higher PCS with a high number of quads while the two things should not be related (specifically, he was talking about Shoma, nathan and Boyang versus Yuzuru, Patrick and Javier) - I guess we'll see what the judges will do at the Olympics :)

FCSSp4

Rinkside

But most importantly, Yuzuru was injured at Boston AND he wasn't clean. Like, severely injured, career threatening injured to the point where during the off season he had to relearn ALL his jumps from SINGLES. I don't mean to defend the guy but his situation there was clearly far, far, faaaarr from ideal and neither was his situation from last season and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. I think what's most important for him (and every guy in this season) is to stay as healthy as possible working towards the Olympics.

nekun

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Yuzu ofc, but chance of him to get Yuna-ed is so high tho even he skate clean, coz the judges hate the repeat Champion. That's why I just want him to deliver both programs well like what he want since the last quad

the sQuads will get the momentum, nothing to loss for them and judges have to find new star to promote the sport. I'm rooting for Nathan on this, he's the rock star figure skating in the making tbh, I love his attitude on ice so much.

Javi is the only hope for Europe, And I love his FS this season. That peace is so suit for Oly moment.

Patrick don't has the same expectation like he had during Sochi, two clean program from him maybe will break the Canadian curse.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Well, he wasn't clean in Boston though.

EXACTLY my point... who knows who will be clean.. .so there is not point rehashing the whole virtual planned layouts ... so many things can happen.
But most importantly, Yuzuru was injured at Boston AND he wasn't clean. .

Yup... and without wishing harm to anyone, this can happen again... not clean, injured... and not just to yuzu but to anyone...

Look it's okay... I don't need to get into a debate.. I simply suggested that the "a clean Hanyu will beat anyone" is superfluous... and I hope it won't be brought to the table non-stop over the next six months... the reality is that ice is slippery and anything can happen.... to anyone.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Are you disagreeing with me 4eversuspenders? I thought you agreed to never disagree with me?? :confused: :befuddled:

Men I would be okay with wining a medal at the Olympics:
Hanyu
Uno (Ono is Yoko's last name dingbat)
Fernandez
Chan
Chen
Brown
Kolyada
Boyang Jin
Misha Ge
Denis Ten

Also I'd be fine if someone not on this list wins a medal if it's earned. I'd be thrilled if someone came out of nowhere or made a comeback and landed on the podium. Just let it be exciting and not enough splat fest.

edited to fix the extra y I gave Boyang and to give Shoma his U back.

asiacheetah

On the Ice
I'm rooting for Yuzuru to skate two clean programs and repeat his Gold. I hope for a medal for Javi. 3rd podium finisher I'm torn between Shoma and Boyang.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
Qualifiers are starting to earn spots. Ukraine's Yaroslav Paniot has qualified a spot for his country, and the rest will be known after the zamboni break and Group 5!

Shandy

On the Ice
My dream podium:

1. Nathan
2. Javi/Yuzuru both miraculously tie for silver!
3. Patrick/Shoma also miraculously tie for bronze!

Also, Jason Brown makes the US team and lands a clean 4T, Boyang Jin misses the podium on PCS but lands 7 quads across both programs, and Yuzu ratifies a 4A.

Is it likely? Not at all. :laugh: Fun to dream about? Sure! :luv17:

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
The Men's competition at Nebelhorn is over, and we have the final 6 qualifiers (at least initial qualifiers, since things could change).

The Olympic Spot tracker thread is up to date here. Direct link to the Men's post

QUalifiers from Nebelhorn are Belgium, Sweden, Italy, South Korea, Malaysia, and Ukraine. Philippines is the first reserve.

(I'm excited Jorik Hendrickx gets to join his sister in Pyeongchang)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Did you sleep through all of last season? "A clean Hanyu wins" was said quite repeatedly back then as well. And that didn't end in Boston.

Also, we don't know how the season will develop, but at the last WC Hanyu wasn't the cleanest, but still won.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Did you sleep through all of last season? "A clean Hanyu wins" was said quite repeatedly back then as well. And that didn't end in Boston.

Also, we don't know how the season will develop, but at the last WC Hanyu wasn't the cleanest, but still won.

i think that that talk calmed down when Nathan landed 5 quads at US nationals and Hanyu was ill...

YMMV

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
i think that that talk calmed down when Nathan landed 5 quads at US nationals and Hanyu was ill...

YMMV

:unsure:
Not sure where you're reading stuff, but no. Most definitely not. Not even close. Not before or after 4CC either :confused2:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
:unsure:
Not sure where you're reading stuff, but no. Most definitely not. Not even close. Not before or after 4CC either :confused2:

well, this is very easy to explain : you are correct : I probably don't read all the same threads as you do and I don't hang out on other forums either...

On this one though, my perception is that these talks went down when Yuzuru didn't win 2016 worlds... and of course, he was injured... and since he didn't have the same success with his programs as GPF and NHK 2015, other people like Shoma and Nathan received attention for what they do, especially the latter after his own Nationals.

So, it is up to you if you want to believe that a clean Hanyu means gold, but I prefer chilling here, and letting the events unfold.

YMMV

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
well, this is very easy to explain : you are correct : I probably don't read all the same threads as you do and I don't hang out on other forums either...

On this one though, my perception is that these talks went down when Yuzuru didn't win 2016 worlds... and of course, he was injured... and since he didn't have the same success with his programs as GPF and NHK 2015, other people like Shoma and Nathan received attention for what they do, especially the latter after his own Nationals.

So, it is up to you if you want to believe that a clean Hanyu means gold, but I prefer chilling here, and letting the events unfold.

YMMV

Yes others like Shoma & Nathan got a lot of attention, rightfully, as they deserved it (and then there are those like Boyang who didn't get as much as they deserved). But I don't see how that is in any way related. Getting a lot of attention =/= being the one who wins if you are clean and this being a known thing and stated. I also have no idea why you are going with this "but I prefer waiting for how things unfold" thing - it doesn't mean that Yuzu will win. Ofc he needs to deliver for that, and we can't know if he will. But if he does, he's the best skater out there, he wins. I don't see what's so bad about stating that :shrug:

beki

Medalist
I think people underestimate what the Olympic environment could be like for the younger men who haven't been before. They could come in with a blaze of glory, or it could eat them alive. No way to know. The Olympics are weird. That's partly why, in the long run, my money is on Boyang. He'll do his best this year, but ultimately he has 2022 in his sights.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Yes others like Shoma & Nathan got a lot of attention, rightfully, as they deserved it (and then there are those like Boyang who didn't get as much as they deserved). But I don't see how that is in any way related. Getting a lot of attention =/= being the one who wins if you are clean and this being a known thing and stated. I also have no idea why you are going with this "but I prefer waiting for how things unfold" thing - it doesn't mean that Yuzu will win. Ofc he needs to deliver for that, and we can't know if he will. But if he does, he's the best skater out there, he wins. I don't see what's so bad about stating that :shrug:

I do. :)
I don't think there is a need to go further here. We will just end up talking in circles. Olympics are always a bit of mystery, a bit of luck and a bit of magic... there is training, health and potential as well of course... but the "special ingredients" are what make Olympics more exciting... and I am excited to see how things will happen but I don't think at all that even if clean, it's in an automatic win... You are welcome to disagree with me. I have no problem with that.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I think people underestimate what the Olympic environment could be like for the younger men who haven't been before. They could come in with a blaze of glory, or it could eat them alive. No way to know. The Olympics are weird. That's partly why, in the long run, my money is on Boyang. He'll do his best this year, but ultimately he has 2022 in his sights.

yup... indeed... very weird ;)

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I do. :)
I don't think there is a need to go further here. We will just end up talking in circles. Olympics are always a bit of mystery, a bit of luck and a bit of magic... there is training, health and potential as well of course... but the "special ingredients" are what make Olympics more exciting... and I am excited to see how things will happen but I don't think at all that even if clean, it's in an automatic win... You are welcome to disagree with me. I have no problem with that.

Who do you think could beat him then?