Love and Punishment | Page 91 | Golden Skate

Love and Punishment

Meganda

Medalist
Here we go, Season 2:
The episodes were reassigned to include Scout, so refer to post 2137 for the reassignments.

For whichever episode you have been assigned you should mention 5 things that we haven't talked about or noticed already. It can be the conversation, a look, clothing, the furniture, the location, the house, the plot, a question, a custom, the Turkish language, just anything that strikes you, it just has to be something that you have never noticed before. Let's go back and also pick up Dafna's Yasemin's clothing descriptions. Also try to include new Turkish words, expressions or anything related to language. Once done let's carry the new words on to the following episodes. So we can learn more? Hopefully we can get Lilarose to comment on those items.

We will all then need to comment on those 5 things.

We'll then move to the next episode with whoever is assigned that episode.

Try to include new Turkish words, expressions or anything related to language. Once done let's carry the new words on to the following episodes. So we can learn more?

So Coki - you're up.

CokGuzel

Final Flight
So Coki - you're up.[/QUOTE]

Cool... this is like homework :laugh2:
Oh dear, will post my thoughts tomorrow. I was in Spain, and Morocco, just finished Time in Between. Back to Istanbul tonight.

Meganda

Medalist
Have been watching Sila w Cansu Dere and Mehmet Akik A. First episode in English subs or all in Spanish/Port. The opening song is called Tore sung by woman/ very powerful song theme is on the same order as LP set in Mardin and Istanbul I thought maybe some could take a look at you tube episodes and if like maybe Sophia can translate. I found the story as compelling as Lp

Yasemin - to get something subtitled with magnificent century english with Sophia, you will need to get about 13 people in the group which would then bring the initial cost down to $2 per episode. I fronted the cost in the beginning and slowly got reimbursed each time someone else joined in; otherwise nothing gets done unless their fee is paid, although it can be done in 10 episode grouping each. To get people to join in, I entered info on each episode on youtube and also put it on ebay. Through those 2 companies we were able to get total reimbursement for the entire season 2.

Lilarose

On the Ice
Hi Meganda when you want to ad çok than it is a singular word.
Cok tesekkur ederim....
Tesekur ederim.
Teşekkürler. I think çok teşekkürler is also possibile but "" çok teşekkürler ederim" I have never heard this in Turkish.

Lilarose

On the Ice
Thank you Lilarose Hanim, and nice talking to you. I am new to the group, but have read all your previous comments, and thank you for your help. I know that sagol literally means be alive. It is used in some other Eastern European countries (that used to be part of the Ottoman Empire), but I didn’t know how to better translate it in English. But I am right in the context of how and where to use it, right? And I have heard old people also say bless you sometimes instead of thank you.
You are welcome Dafne hanım. Nice to talk you too... you are right about the thank you word in Turkish... I wonder from which country you are originaly... Hopefully you want to share this with us here. By the way the the Turkish version of your name is Defne...

Yasimin

Rinkside
Yasemin - to get something subtitled with magnificent century english with Sophia, you will need to get about 13 people in the group which would then bring the initial cost down to $2 per episode. I fronted the cost in the beginning and slowly got reimbursed each time someone else joined in; otherwise nothing gets done unless their fee is paid, although it can be done in 10 episode grouping each. To get people to join in, I entered info on each episode on youtube and also put it on ebay. Through those 2 companies we were able to get total reimbursement for the entire season 2.

Thanks for info

CokGuzel

Final Flight
LP Episode 24

E 24 is my favorite episode and opens with Pala having surgery, Shanur orchestrating a truck delivery for Moran's drugs, Savas racing to Bodrum with Yasi in hot pursuit :)
5 things I hadn't noticed before are:
1: At the airport, the flight announcement is said in Turkish, then English. I find that courteous and proper. While waiting for his flight, Savas stands out in the crowd. Why should that be? Is it because he is tall and handsome or dressed in a suit or is it because we are looking at him.
2: When Savas opens the bedroom door and sees Omer, the look on his face is priceless but Leyla giving him some respect is great. She understands the meaning of the moment.
3: I appreciated the strong brother/sister bond between Pala and Shanur -- the scene with the mirror is touching. Gives Shanur a human and soft side.
4: Yasi's Bodrum dresses are nice, the yellow dress looks great on her.
5: Need to look up Bodrum, since it seems like a beautiful vacation spot.

Turkish words that I can hear and recognize when listening to the dialogue.

Güle güle or Hosca kal = both mean good bye but when do you use them
Haklisin = You're right
I don't know=Bilmiyorum
I know = Biliyorum

Bilmiyorum and Biliyorum sound almost the same so you have to pay attention to the "mi"

Thank you... that's it for me. ;)

LoveShura

On the Ice
E 24 is my favorite episode and opens with Pala having surgery, Shanur orchestrating a truck delivery for Moran's drugs, Savas racing to Bodrum with Yasi in hot pursuit :)
5 things I hadn't noticed before are:
1: At the airport, the flight announcement is said in Turkish, then English. I find that courteous and proper. While waiting for his flight, Savas stands out in the crowd. Why should that be? Is it because he is tall and handsome or dressed in a suit or is it because we are looking at him.
2: When Savas opens the bedroom door and sees Omer, the look on his face is priceless but Leyla giving him some respect is great. She understands the meaning of the moment.
3: I appreciated the strong brother/sister bond between Pala and Shanur -- the scene with the mirror is touching. Gives Shanur a human and soft side.
4: Yasi's Bodrum dresses are nice, the yellow dress looks great on her.
5: Need to look up Bodrum, since it seems like a beautiful vacation spot.

Haklisin = You're right
I don't know=Bilmiyorum
I know = Biliyorum

Bilmiyorum and Biliyorum sound almost the same so you have to pay attention to the "mi"

Good grief you are fast!! Yikes! I’m panicking!

Meganda

Medalist

Haklisin = You're right
I don't know=Bilmiyorum
I know = Biliyorum

I'm first focusing on our vocab assignment :) What's interesting to me, even though I heard it often, when I look at the spelling of Güle güle, it's interesting. It's a word repeated, like our bye bye, but when heard it doesn't sound like a word repeated, similar to Allah Allah sounds like Alla Hallah, it's as if the last letter of the first word carrys over and becomes the first sound of the next word. I wonder if there's some rule for that happening??

I think hoşçakal is more informal. And I'm going try to listen carefully for: Haklisin, Bilmiyorum, and Biliyorum.

So I'm off to E24!

- - - Updated - - -

Lilarose do you want to be part of the group and be assigned an episode to talk about?

Dafna

On the Ice
Meganda, last time that I was going quickly through the episodes just to check the outfits (because It was impossible to remember which one was in each episode), I put my headphones on so not to disturb people around me. That was an amazing way to pick up the language. I guess the tv or/and even the computer without headphones give a voice that can please the whole room, instead the headphones concentrate it to your ears. I picked up a lot of words and phrases that I hadn’t recognize before. And as I was thinking of that I thought of the translators in those cubicles with their headphones on!,,,

Dafna

On the Ice
I'm first focusing on our vocab assignment :) What's interesting to me, even though I heard it often, when I look at the spelling of Güle güle, it's interesting. It's a word repeated, like our bye bye, but when heard it doesn't sound like a word repeated, similar to Allah Allah sounds like Alla Hallah, it's as if the last letter of the first word carrys over and becomes the first sound of the next word. I wonder if there's some rule for that happening??

I think hoşçakal is more informal. And I'm going try to listen carefully for: Haklisin, Bilmiyorum, and Biliyorum.

So I'm off to E24!

- - - Updated - - -

Lilarose do you want to be part of the group and be assigned an episode to talk about?

The beauty of the airport scene is that not only you can hear the announcements in Turkish and English, but everywhere the information is in both languages: Turkish is in white and English is in yellow. I find that proper and smart too. When I saw it the first time the scene where Savas goes back and forth at the gate, I saw with big letters: Gate, Kapi.
How about the word havaliman - aeroport? Hava is air, and Liman is port: havaliman. I like it.

Meganda

Medalist
Meganda, last time that I was going quickly through the episodes just to check the outfits (because It was impossible to remember which one was in each episode), I put my headphones on so not to disturb people around me. That was an amazing way to pick up the language. I guess the tv or/and even the computer without headphones give a voice that can please the whole room, instead the headphones concentrate it to your ears. I picked up a lot of words and phrases that I hadn’t recognize before. And as I was thinking of that I thought of the translators in those cubicles with their headphones on!,,,

I usually watch with netflix on my large screen tv. Season 2 I watched on my laptop and sometimes connected it to my tv, but I'm going to use your suggestions with the earphones. I'll let you know how I fair with hearing what they are saying. Teşekkürler ederim Dafna

Dafna

On the Ice
The beauty of the airport scene is that not only you can hear the announcements in Turkish and English, but everywhere the information is in both languages: Turkish is in white and English is in yellow. I find that proper and smart too. When I saw it the first time the scene where Savas goes back and forth at the gate, I saw with big letters: Gate, Kapi.
How about the word havaliman - airport? Hava is air, and Liman is port: havaliman. I like it.
My new words are:

Kapi - gate
Havaliman - airport

CokGuzel

Final Flight
How about the word havaliman - airport? Hava is air, and Liman is port: havaliman. I like it.
My new words are:

Kapi - gate
Havaliman - airport

Good one. When Yasi hails a cab, she says havaliman to the driver. It's an important word to remember.:agree:

Meganda

Medalist
Well, I had my earphones on, but didn't hear Haklisin, Bilmiyorum, or Biliyorum. I did hear however (which will be my words from this episode) iyi - fine; ne oldu - what happened; efendim - hello - when the phone was answered; kimo - who is it.

Coki - here's some info on gule gule and hoscakalin:
Güle güle :“Goodbye”, The one who leaves, says “Allahaısmarladık” or “Hoşca kalın”. The one who stays behind, says “Güle güle” “Allahaısmarladık” is literally, “I leave you to God’s care”. It is almost the same with “Goodbye” “Goodbye” in English is the clipping of “ God bless you”. “Hoçca kalın” corresponds “Stay well” in English. “Güle güle” corresponds “Go well” in English. Either “Allahaısmarladık” or “Hoşca kalın” is correct in informal situations. But in formal situations “Hoşca kalın” is better. http://www.turkishclass.com/turkish_lesson_6

Meganda

Medalist
My comments on E24 (sorry I got a bit lengthy, but I don't think we'll ever get back here again, so I have to spit it all out!)

I know Omer had a pacifier for the filming to keep him quiet and content - but I don't like seeing children with a pacifier in the mouth constantly! They could have taken it out once in a while!! :roll5:

I liked Yasimen's blue dress when they left Bodrum for Istanbul much better than that yellow dress.

We saw Yasemin pack a bag to go to Bodrum, but not Savas, since he just up and left for Bodrum with no bag. I had always thought oh my he wore the same clothes through 2 nights and 3 days - ugh, ewww. (I found this great listing on how to spell English interjections; take a look at it, it's fun! (Loveshura's favorite is in it) :) https://www.vidarholen.net/contents/interjections/
-Anyway, on with Savas - This time around I saw that the next morning he did start out the day in the same clothes - white shirt and dress pants - but when they took Omer out for a walk he had changed clothes (green shirt and jeans) and he was carrying a shopping bag - must have gone clothes shopping, thank goodness. I never got the connection before. Glad to see they took care of that sequence in the series - and that Savas wasn't wearing the same smelly clothes for 3 days. :con2: :handw:

You never see anyone charge their phone in the entire series, but sure enough Yasemin's phone battery dies on the way to Bodrum, otherwise everyone's cell phone seems to last forever.

I still don't understand the layout of Leyla's house. Help me out. The patio is in the front of the house on the street, the front door seems to be in the back - how anyone finds it I don't know, you have to open the gate on the street side, walk through the path in the bushes, walk past the back door to the kitchen, to get to the main front door - which is in the back. Doesn't make sense to me??? :scratch2: That house also isn't safe. The street level has patio doors that are only louvre doors - easy to break in.

I finally get Esma on the letter to Cicek from Yavuz. The return address on the envelop is written: Gonderen: Esma. Gonderen is in the mountains between Ankara and Van - a small town, must be where the prison is located- https://www.google.com/maps/search/...key/@39.208348,38.0297162,1940m/data=!3m1!1e3, although it's not listed on prison lists in Turkey. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prisons_in_Turkey Yavuz put the name Esma so noone in the Baldar household would know it was from him - Yavuz. That's why Endham gives Cicek an out by saying Esma is a friend of Cicek from Van and Cicek goes along with her. So Esma must be a girl's name, although I didn't find it on a website of Turkish names.

I don't get her drive to Bodrum. It seems that she is on a side road right next to the main road when she almost has an accident. Don't get that one - why is she on a side road, parallel to the main road?

And finally ( I never heard this one before- Leyla does give Savas' answer to the question she put to him - was he going to take her grandchild away from her? She tells the answer to Yasemin on the phone when they have returned to Istanbul - she says he said he wouldn't take Omer away from her (he is so kind hearted!).

Good Grief - that took me 3 hours.

Meganda

Medalist
Hi Meganda when you want to ad çok than it is a singular word.
Cok tesekkur ederim....
Tesekur ederim.
Teşekkürler. I think çok teşekkürler is also possibile but "" çok teşekkürler ederim" I have never heard this in Turkish.

çok Teşekkürler Lilarosecığım
I finally looked at my learned Turkish words list and realize I had put some erroneous phrases in there. Thanks for the correction!

I found this on saying thank you in a Turkish language lesson on saying thank you:

Grammar
Wherever your destination may be, manners are a must! Turkey is no different. So in our very first lesson, we'll be teaching you a simple phrase that is bound to come in handy throughout your trip to Turkey. I can't stress this enough: A little a bit of language can go a long way!

In Turkish, "Thank you" is Teşekkür ederim. The first word, teşekkür, means "thankfulness." After this comes ederim, meaning "give." All together, that's Teşekkür ederim.

You can emphasize Teşekkür ederim by adding çok, which means literally "a lot" or "so much." That makes Çok teşekkür ederim, which would be equivalent to "Thank you so much," a politer expression than just teşekkür ederim.

There are other ways to express one's gratitude in Turkish, but they are all variations of teşekkür ederim.

There will be occasions when you will really want to show your appreciation and politeness. On these occasions, you should use the expression Teşekkür ederim. In daily life, however, people use Teşekkürler, which is simply another form of the the noun teşekkür. So "Thanks" in Turkish is Teşekkürler. And "Many thanks" is Çok teşekkürler. The first word, çok ("a lot"), is used to make the phrase more polite. This is followed by teşekkürler, which means something like "thanks." All together, it's Çok teşekkürler.

Cultural Insights
Quick Tip 1

By far, Teşekkürler is the most common way to say "Thanks." Use the more polite version Teşekkür ederim sparingly, in very special situations, like when you have been helped a lot by somebody. Remember: When in doubt, keeping it simple is always your safest bet. You don't have to worry about formal or informal situations; Teşekkürler can be used with just about anyone, anywhere, and anytime. You say Teşekkürler when the waiter brings your food or drinks, when the clerk in the hotel takes your luggage to your room, and when somebody welcomes or congratulates you. No matter what the person's profession or age, Teşekkürler will always be an appropriate response.

Quick Tip 2

If you are around friends, you might hear an alternative to Teşekkür ederim: Sağol. This means "Thanks" or "Cheers," mostly used among young people and is very informal. If you know the people well enough, feel free to throw one of these in—your knowledge of informal Turkish will surely be appreciated.