Kavaguti and Smirnov announce retirement | Golden Skate

Kavaguti and Smirnov announce retirement

GF2445

Record Breaker
Not surprising, yet sad news.
Dont have a news link but i saw it on twitter.

starla16

Medalist
its official :sad21:

http://tass.com/sport/967103

MOSCOW, September 22. /TASS/. Russian pair figure skaters Yuko Kavaguti and Alexander Smirnov have decided to retire from the sport, coach Tamara Moskvina told TASS.

"Yuko and Sasha have taken into account their health condition and their competitive capabilities compared to other pairs from Russia and other countries," she said. "They were unlikely to be included in the Olympic team to participate in the 2018 PyeongChang Games so they decided not to tempt fate," Moskvina added.

Kavaguti, 35, and Smirnov, 32, won two bronze medals at the World Figure Skating Championships and two golds at the European Figure Skating Championships.

They became a pair in 2006 and spent most of their professional career under Moskvinaā€™s guidance.

keasus

On the Ice
Not surprising, yet sad news.
Dont have a news link but i saw it on twitter.

Very sad, but it was inevitable. Does Tamara Moskvina coach any other pairs at the moment? If I ran US Figure Skating I would offer her the sun, the stars, and the moon to develop the US pairs program. She is a genuis and a goddess.

starla16

Medalist
Very sad, but it was inevitable. Does Tamara Moskvina coach any other pairs at the moment? If I ran US Figure Skating I would offer her the sun, the stars, and the moon to develop the US pairs program. She is a genuis and a goddess.

well she isn't that young to continue nursing new pairs, I'd say its time for her to enjoy life outside skating and retire. She only stayed coaching because of K/S.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Well it was only a matter of time but they will be missed. Sasha stomping on the ice is one of my most treasured skating memories.

What keasus said above. Spot on. Moskvina is a treasure.

cleo2070

Final Flight
:cry:

I'll miss them in competitions... Personally I felt they brought something special to the ice when they skated. Not to mention Yuko's fierceness and Sasha's ever-present care towards his partner :clap:

Krunchii

Record Breaker
I expected this, they had a long and beautiful career together and are an incredibly accomplished team. They have a lot to be proud of.

Be happy and be healthy! Same to Moskvina, I really hope that she is secretly immortal or something.

LRK

Record Breaker
Sigh. I can no longer be in denial... It had to happen, but I just didn't wish it to. I wish both Sasha and Yuko the best in the future - and thanks for all the beautiful memories! You will be missed.

Tamara Moskvina is still coaching - I suppose she more superintends these days, maybe?; but she's got Boikova/Kozlovskii and Efimova/Korovin in her group. Oleg Vasiliev has moved back to St Petersburg and is working there as well. In the case of B/K, Ted Barton mentioned her as co-coach with Minchuk, and Dima & Aleksandra have talked about her input as well. So she isn't retired, at any rate.

nimi

Medalist
Sigh. I can no longer be in denial... It had to happen, but I just didn't wish it to. I wish both Sasha and Yuko the best in the future - and thanks for all the beautiful memories! You will be missed.
My thoughts exactly... :cry:

To lighten up things a bit... This moment between Moskvina and Yuko is one of my favorite kiss'n'cry memories: https://youtu.be/zX8lbfNm_N4?t=8m39s

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Nothing but the deepest respect for this pair. Like everybody else, I exhibit no surprise and was afraid this would be coming sooner rather than later. They were brilliant, they were awe-inspiring, and I adored them. Thank you for some truly amazing programs.
I wonder if the same kind of news will be around the corner for V/T... :(

mrrice

Record Breaker

Tamara Moskvina is still coaching - I suppose she more superintends these days, maybe?; but she's got Boikova/Kozlovskii and Efimova/Korovin in her group. Oleg Vasiliev has moved back to St Petersburg and is working there as well. In the case of B/K, Ted Barton mentioned her as co-coach with Minchuk, and Dima & Aleksandra have talked about her input as well. So she isn't retired, at any rate.

Tamara isn't any older than Frank Carroll is she? As long as she keeps a strong coaching staff with her, I think she'll be fine.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
:cry: :cry: :cry:

I loved Yuko and Sasha, so I am upset to hear this. I will REALLY miss them.

But at the same time, after all the injuries they have had in recent years, I am relieved that they have decided to call it a day.

It really is the end of an era in more ways than one. Because Yuko and Sasha were the last bastion of the "old style" of Pairs skating. Which is what I fell in love with.

Thank you for all the joy you have given us over the years.

I wish Yuko and Sasha all the best for whatever the future holds for them.

CaroLiza_fan

noskates

Record Breaker
Awww. This makes me sad. I so enjoyed watching them and Yuko gave up her citizenship to skate for Russia. I hope they find some happiness in the next stages of their lives.

andromache

Record Breaker
well she isn't that young to continue nursing new pairs, I'd say its time for her to enjoy life outside skating and retire. She only stayed coaching because of K/S.

She's no older than Mishin, and actually younger than Frank Carroll.

If I was her I would steal T/M right out from Nina Mozer's nose and give them some halfway decent programs for the Olympic season.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Ouch... as much as it was expected, it's sad to see it is official.
Many thanks to Yuko, Sasha and their coach Moskvina; it was not an easy path but they gave it all, in spite of injuries, and the best came with their last comeback: I'm even happier now for their 2015 Euro title.
We'll always have Manfred (runs to youtube) :ghug:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION šŸ”„
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:sad4: Darn -- was hoping against hope it wouldn't happen, but I guess it was inevitable. When they were on, they were magical. Thanks for the memories! :luv17: