Russian dominance in ladies | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Russian dominance in ladies

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
woo calm down, i wrote a similar post but if you look at the results they are winning medals. They could have done even more than that but the results are still quite amazing, and the japanese wonder kids aren't even close to this:

GPF 2013 - Julia Lipnitskaya 2nd place (Elena Radionova 4th)
Euro 2014 - Julia Lipnitskaya 1st place, Adelina Sotnikova 2nd place
Olympics 2014 - Adelina Sotnikova 1st place
Worlds 2014 - Julia Lipnitskaya 2nd place (Anna Pogorilaya 4th)

GPF 2014 - Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 1st place, Elena Radionova 2nd place
Euro 2015 - Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 1st place, Elena Radionova 2nd place, Anna Pogorilaya 3rd place
Worlds 2015 - Elizaveta Tuktamysheva 1st place, Elena Radionova 3rd place

GPF 2015 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place, Elena Radionova 3rd place
Euro 2016 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place, Elena Radionova 2nd place, Anna Pogorilaya 3rd place
Worlds 2016 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place, Anna Pogorilaya 3rd place

GPF 2016 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place, Anna Pogorilaya 3rd place
Euro 2017 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place, Anna Pogorilaya 2nd place
Worlds 2017 - Evgenia Medvedeva 1st place.

So "they keep failing in seniors" -> absolutely wrong.

The Japanese, of course, don't compete in Europeans. They have been just as dominant at 4CCs as the Russians have at Euros. And except for Medvedeva, all of the skaters you listed have proven to be inconsistent. Med was the only Russian on the World podium in 2017 and the only one in the top six.

tjb

Match Penalty
The Japanese, of course, don't compete in Europeans. They have been just as dominant at 4CCs as the Russians have at Euros. And except for Medvedeva, all of the skaters you listed have proven to be inconsistent. Med was the only Russian on the World podium in 2017 and the only one in the top six.

and which non russian skaters are proven to be consistent? radionova, for example, medalled at every gp event she entered, for the last 4 years. is there any non russian skaters, who as inconsistent, as she is?

Manitou

Medalist
and which non russian skaters are proven to be consistent? radionova, for example, medalled at every gp event she entered, for the last 4 years. is there any non russian skaters, who as inconsistent, as she is?

Nobody is questioning Russia's depth. It's obvious. The talk is about dominance.
Elena is not dominating the ladies at all. Not even close. She is just another skater in the elite. Just like many others. And elite is quite open at the moment. There are probably around 10 skaters right now who can randomly medal, with an equal distribution of probability.

Of course, I am not talking about Yevgenia. She is above that. And Alina has yet to prove.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think the depth is in fact the reason for the perceived dominance. :laugh2:

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

But still russian ladies won all the major competitions of the past three years, that's the meaning of dominating. Even if you look at the country who won more medals during the entire season, it's always Russia.

Yesterday it was Adelina Sotnikova at Sochi, or Elizaveta Tuktamysheva the season after, today is Evgenia Medvedeva, tomorrow will be someone else (maybe a russian skater once again).

Quick reminder: only one skater can win the gold medal :laugh:

There wasn't a single moment where a japanese skater beated the strongest russian skater of the season during this Olympic cycle. Ironically the closest was Gracie Gold at Worlds 2016 but she failed in the FS.

You are all concentrating on the details instead of looking at the results as a whole.

tjb

Match Penalty
Nobody is questioning Russia's depth. It's obvious. The talk is about dominance.
Elena is not dominating the ladies at all. Not even close. She is just another skater in the elite. Just like many others. And elite is quite open at the moment. There are probably around 10-12 skaters right now who can randomly medal, with an equal distribution of probability.

Of course, I am not talking about Yevgenia. She is above that. And Alina has yet to prove.

i'll agree that there is no total dominance in seniors yet, like in juniors. we have only 2 good skaters, and the rest of the russian field are pretty much comparable to a skaters from the other countries. but if that was possible for 13-14 yo to compete in seniors, like it was in the 90s, the picture would be different, and american early 90s domination probably would not look so amazing.
i think that the topic starter was just impressed by the recent juniors results

Baron Vladimir

Record Breaker
The depth might be the reason for the perceived potential dominance.

If that potential never realizes then there is no dominance. :laugh2:

You are not listening... If ladies can enter competitions only by their names (and not by the country's quotas) there will be almost half of names coming for Russia. Maybe noone of them will win the medal, but thats still dominance in number of elite skaters we can watch from across the world (and which was the point of the question we are asked to replay to)... You know, word dominance doesnt only mean that some country has more power than another one (by the chance of beating them)...but i quess, thats the narative existing around you...

Celine

On the Ice
With the mind-blowing depth, have wondered why we have not seen perhaps quite as many skaters compete for other countries? I could be wrong but it seemed there were more nation switches (former Soviet republics with independent federations is what I'm primarily referring to, though Israel comes up as a relatively frequent option it seems in non-singles disciplines) in the past, compared to what is happening now?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Radio failed to medal at the last 2 Worlds after winning bronze in 2015.
She is inconsistent when it counts.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
But still russian ladies won all the major competitions of the past three years, that's the meaning of dominating. Even if you look at the country who won more medals during the entire season, it's always Russia.

Yesterday it was Adelina Sotnikova at Sochi, or Elizaveta Tuktamysheva the season after, today is Evgenia Medvedeva, tomorrow will be someone else (maybe a russian skater once again).

Quick reminder: only one skater can win the gold medal :laugh:

There wasn't a single moment where a japanese skater beated the strongest russian skater of the season during this Olympic cycle. Ironically the closest was Gracie Gold at Worlds 2016 but she failed in the FS.

You are all concentrating on the details instead of looking at the results as a whole.

Why cut it off at three years? Because Mao won over Lip and Pogo?

tjb

Match Penalty
Radio failed to medal at the last 2 Worlds after winning bronze in 2015.
She is inconsistent when it counts.

there is no skaters, besides evgenia, who are medalled more than once at worlds in the last 4 years. so when you say that someone is inconsistent, you must ask yourself "compared to who?".
russians skaters in general are more consistent than skaters from any other country. (radionova didn't competed at the last worlds btw)

tars

Record Breaker
i'll agree that there is no total dominance in seniors yet, like in juniors. we have only 2 good skaters, and the rest of the russian field are pretty much comparable to a skaters from the other countries. but if that was possible for 13-14 yo to compete in seniors, like it was in the 90s, the picture would be different
Yes, amazing Eunsoo Lim would be able to represent her country in her very own home Olympics, four years after Yuna-Adelina controversy at Sochi. :biggrin:

The picture would definitely be different, just not sure the way you imagined. :devil:

tjb

Match Penalty
Yes, amazing Eunsoo Lim would be able to represent her country in her very own home Olympics, four years after Yuna-Adelina controversy at Sochi. :biggrin:

The picture would definitely be different, just not sure the way you imagined. :devil:

in your parallel universe, marin honda (who hardly will get it into a japanese olympic team) is already an olympic champion.
so no wonder that you think that never clean eunsoo lim has something to offer against astonishing anna shcherbakova. who could become the youngest olympic champion in history, with 3 quads in her programs and the most beautiful skating in the world. if only it was in 1998

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Your info is incorrect. Radionova finished in 6th place in her last GP event, the GP final (2016). Did not make it to Worlds in 2017, and then finished 5th at the WTT. It was a tough season for her, due to inconsistency.

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
there is no skaters, besides evgenia, who are medalled more than once at worlds in the last 4 years. so when you say that someone is inconsistent, you must ask yourself "compared to who?".
russians skaters in general are more consistent than skaters from any other country. (radionova didn't compete at the last worlds btw)

That's kind of how I see it. I mean...as a country, which I understand the topic to be, they have combined for an impressive amount of international medals. I haven't had time to add up the totals or anything but I bet if you counted the medals they won at GPF and WC, which I consider the most coveted international medals, dating back over the last four seasons I'm thinking their total will rival all of the other medal winners combined. Maybe just short but close. Of course it's entirely possible I'm remembering wrong or it just feels that way.

Russian Nationals is probably the only event where top 6 really is considered an accomplishment because their juniors are absolutely crowding the scene. This year will be so so boss status to get into the top 5 IMO. Name me one other National Championship that will be as fiercely contested. I love me some Christmas popcorn and Christmas decoration close ups :love:

To me...it's the reason they have dominated the medals when you think of them as a whole group. Individual results are hard to judge because of the current competive state and one mistake can cost you international opportunities but as a "team" they've been on a podium trend at the big events.

tjb

Match Penalty
Your info is incorrect. Radionova finished in 6th place in her last GP event, the GP final (2016). Did not make it to Worlds in 2017, and then finished 5th at the WTT. It was a tough season for her due to inconsistency.

i'm talking about regular events, not about gpf.
i wonder in what place kaetlyn osmond would finish at russian nationals, if she skates the way she did at canadian nationals this year:laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
i'm talking about regular events, not about gpf.
i wonder in what place kaetlyn osmond would finishing at russian nationals, if she skated the way she did at canadian nationals this year:laugh:

Sadly...she probably wouldn't have gone to the WC. That is also what kills these girls...no room for error at home or abroad. One or two stumbles is probably a 6th place finish and the end of your season regardless of your medal count that season.