How to get to the olympics?? | Golden Skate

How to get to the olympics??

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I was wondering how do you get to the olympics? How much does it cost usually? What are the different ways. Obviously winning nationals and assuming your nation has qualified and you have the minimums you can go. But what other ways. I don't know all the rules but, nothing against them, the Reed family seems to have several skaters over the years - Chris, Allison and retired Cathy but could be more who switch countries and it seems at least on face value that it is simply to allow them to compete. How do they do it? How do others feel.

I understand the lure of the Olympics and they have to have a certain level of skating to make it at the same time it does sort of suggest money sometimes can help you. Maybe not win the gold but to get there (a bit more talent may be required).

It just isn't hard work, money, skating for a nation that has qualified for the olympics in your event but it seems you can do it in other ways.

jf12

Final Flight
Skaters who switch countries also have to win nationals in their new country, and often have to qualify their own spot at Nebelhorn in addition. As far as money goes, I don't really see how switching countries as an elite skater is much more expensive than not switching.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Large federations cover travel expenses etc for a skater to represent that fed internationally. I believe some smaller feds expect skaters to cover at least some of their own expenses.

And of course skaters pay their own way to their nationals, which may be significant if those nationals are held on a different continent than where they live and train.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Even when you come from a big fed, just getting yourself on the team is the hardest part. Even when he got on the team, it doesn't sound like these athlete's are very well taken care of. Hopefully, they have wealthy parents or friends. Listen to Canada's Kyle Shewfelt talk about his experience with funny Rick Mercer.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLDVOJc6LW4

jf12

Final Flight
Large federations cover travel expenses etc for a skater to represent that fed internationally. I believe some smaller feds expect skaters to cover at least some of their own expenses.

And of course skaters pay their own way to their nationals, which may be significant if those nationals are held on a different continent than where they live and train.

True, but the Reeds (Chris and Cathy), specifically mentioned by OP, probably got more support from team Japan than they did from team USA, being a top ranked team for Japan and not one of the top teams for USA.

gkelly

Record Breaker
It helps that Japan has a large, wealthy federation with a tiny ice dance program -- best of both worlds for them.

Singles skaters, or dancers for that matter, choosing to represent a small, cash-strapped federation won't get the same financial benefit.

noskates

Record Breaker
When I saw the title of this thread I thought "well, first you call the airlines and then you find a hotel, etc. etc. Sorry.

I've always thought that changing countries (unless you're a dance or pairs partner) was kind of nonsensical...unless just skating at the Olys is the goal. Said differently, if you can't make it in your own country because of the competition than how can you expect to medal just because you've changed countries. Does anyone know of a singles skater that has done well after they changed countries? Am I missing someone obvious?

lappo

Final Flight
When I saw the title of this thread I thought "well, first you call the airlines and then you find a hotel, etc. etc. Sorry.

I've always thought that changing countries (unless you're a dance or pairs partner) was kind of nonsensical...unless just skating at the Olys is the goal. Said differently, if you can't make it in your own country because of the competition than how can you expect to medal just because you've changed countries. Does anyone know of a singles skater that has done well after they changed countries? Am I missing someone obvious?

Well, I think this is the goal of those who change countries, none of them probably thinks that a medal is realistic but taking part in the biggest competition is probably their big goal. If you look at the situation for the Russian ladies, the fourth of them at Nationals could be a serious medal contenders if she could skate for another country. I don't know any single figure skater who switched managed to win a medal though, but it has happened in other sports.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Does anyone know of a singles skater that has done well after they changed countries? Am I missing someone obvious?

I don't know any single figure skater who switched managed to win a medal though, but it has happened in other sports.

If by "done well" you mean win an Olympic medal, and a world title, then Dianne DeLeeuw comes to mind.

Non-gold world medalist, Susanna Driano.

I don't know enough about skaters' nationalities before the 1970s, but the skating world was smaller the earlier you go.

What about former Soviet skaters' decisions about which federation to represent after the USSR broke up?

Certainly there have been plenty of skaters who didn't win medals but did get international opportunities they wouldn't have had if they'd stayed with a large federation.

lappo

Final Flight
If by "done well" you mean win an Olympic medal, and a world title, then Dianne DeLeeuw comes to mind.

Non-gold world medalist, Susanna Driano.

I don't know enough about skaters' nationalities before the 1970s, but the skating world was smaller the earlier you go.

What about former Soviet skaters' decisions about which federation to represent after the USSR broke up?

Certainly there have been plenty of skaters who didn't win medals but did get international opportunities they wouldn't have had if they'd stayed with a large federation.

As usual, truly admired by your deep knowledge of the sport, always a chance to learn. Thanks! :thumbsup: :)
And you are right mentioning the ex USSR skaters, the topic was brought up also by Eteri T. in a recent interview...she wasn't very happy that her skater Moris Kvitelashvili had switched to Georgia because she thought that if he skated for Russia he would have the back up of the (certainly more powerful) Russian federation. However, in this way he can probably hope to go to Worlds quite easily if he does well, while he has plenty of competition for the spots in Russia. And, while it is true that skaters from powerful federations have advantages, Yuna Kim and Javier Fernandez are two extremely successful example of how you can succeed at the highest levels even coming from a place with no skating history, almost no rinks and no resources.
Ok, I confess I always have a soft spot for skaters from minor federations, but this is quite OT.