Mirai Nagasu - "It's not my time" | Golden Skate

Mirai Nagasu - "It's not my time"

fredtx121

On the Ice
After watching Mirai's 2010 Olympic SP and FS, the commentators mentioned that in a interview Mirai said "it's not my time". At that time she was 17, usually when Ladies figure skaters are at their "prime". I think she under estimated herself because I think 2010 was her year to break out. I believe she was under scored in both of her programs. The podium I believe was already set with the Gold between Yu Na and Mao and the Bronze to the hometown skater Joannie.
At the 2010 World's the judges were ready to give her a world medal. She finished 1st after the SP and if she repeated her performance from the Olympics, she would have gotten a higher score and be crowned World Champion in my opinion. After her disappointing free skate, I feel like she lost confidence and started doubting herself.
Do you think if Mirai won the 2010 World's, she would of had a more successful career? Do you agree that 2010 was her time?

mrrice

Record Breaker
After watching Mirai's 2010 Olympic SP and FS, the commentators mentioned that in a interview Mirai said "it's not my time". At that time she was 17, usually when Ladies figure skaters are at their "prime". I think she under estimated herself because I think 2010 was her year to break out. I believe she was under scored in both of her programs. The podium I believe was already set with the Gold between Yu Na and Mao and the Bronze to the hometown skater Joannie.
At the 2010 World's the judges were ready to give her a world medal. She finished 1st after the SP and if she repeated her performance from the Olympics, she would have gotten a higher score and be crowned World Champion in my opinion. After her disappointing free skate, I feel like she lost confidence and started doubting herself.
Do you think if Mirai won the 2010 World's, she would of had a more successful career? Do you agree that 2010 was her time?

I totally remember that. In fact, they mention it during her LP that night. If Mirai had coupled her Worlds SP with her LP from Nationals or the Olympics, I think she would been on the podium and may have beaten Yuna. Even at her best, I don't think should beaten Mao at that event.. Here's her LP from Nationals and Sandra talks about Mirai saying it wasn't her time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJX0_QqCTE

iamchrislao

On the Ice
Absolutely not. Mao was way underscored in my opinion. That LP of hers was one for the books. We haven't seen 2 triple axels (whether in one program or competition) recently, have we? Ironically, Mirai is one of the women trying the 3A today. Good for her.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Mirai could have won Silver at 2010 Worlds, but Gold was out of the question. I mean, maybe it could have happened, but it would have been a major robbery that happened only because Mao Asada was unfairly given a < call on her 3Axel in the SP (and also in the LP), and at that time in the scoring system a < call really demolished your score.

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
And remember, Mirai also had to deal with body changes after 2010-2011. Her skating took a downturn after those changes. She seems to have adjusted since though in recent years.

I totally remember that. ... Here's her LP from Nationals and Sandra talks about Mirai saying it wasn't her time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rJX0_QqCTE

Great music! More skaters should skate to that! :yes:

Actually, though, Mirai's famous "Carmen's Little Sister" program did show that Mirai in 2010 had room to grow in terms of interpretation, etc.

What astonished everyone in the arena, though -- and the entire TV audience -- was that Mirai only got second, way, way, way behind Rachel Flatt. The reason (Mirai received three URs -- booooooo!) did not satisfy anybody, but what can you do in the CoP era?

At the Olympics the tables were turned, with Rachael being the one dinged with phantom URs, to preserve room at the top for the medalists, who were yet to skate.

Having placed Rachael over a barn-burner from Mirai at 2010 Nationals, the judges then thought it was only fair to place Rachael in second behind a mistake-filled effort by Alissa Czisny the next year. Oh well. ;)

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

Actually, though, Mirai's famous "Carmen's Little Sister" program did show that Mirai in 2010 had room to grow in terms of interpretation, etc.

What astonished everyone in the arena, though -- and the entire TV audience -- was that Mirai only got second, way, way, way behind Rachel Flatt. The reason (Mirai received three URs -- booooooo!) did not satisfy anybody, but what can you do in the CoP era?

At the Olympics the tables were turned, with Rachael being the one dinged with phantom URs, to preserve room at the top for the medalists, who were yet to skate.

Having placed Rachael over a barn-burner from Mirai at 2010 Nationals, the judges then thought it was only fair to place Rachael in second behind a mistake-filled effort by Alissa Czisny the next year. Oh well. ;)

Mirai always seemed to beat Rachael when they competed against each other internationally, including the Olympics and Worlds.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think in addition to her growth spurt she basically lost confidence. The series of coaches she ran through either didn't know how to shore her up or she just didn't have her head in the right place. Not knowing what was troubling her has made it hard to continue rooting for her, She's a beautiful skater but you hold your breath when she skates. I don't think Mirai is a good competitor in general. Maybe having the 3A this year will give her that edge.....maybe!

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

I think you've forgotten the timeline here, Czisny definitely skated best at 2011 Nationals, it was 2009 when she won with a couple of mistakes over the younger girls.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I was there and I am at skating events for the performances, not the scores. Mirai won the hearts and minds of the crowd, at least. Maybe I will ask her at this year's nats what she felt as to how she had done right before the scores were read. The main thing is that she made the Oly team.
(Disclaimer: I am not a RF fan. She doesnt make me feel and she was rightly fined / reprimanded for not reporting her injury. Bless her for working in a mental health lab and I am sure if she chooses she will go on and get her advanced degrees and be a great scientist. I vow to get over my grief and stop throwing popcorn at her when I see here in the stands.....:rofl:)

linkintank

Rinkside

It didn't work for Kimmie Meissner and it probably wouldn't have made a difference for Mirai. Mirai can't fully rotate triples and that's a big issue now.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was there and I am at skating events for the performances, not the scores. Mirai won the hearts and minds of the crowd, at least. Maybe I will ask her at this year's nats what she felt as to how she had done right before the scores were read. The main thing is that she made the Oly team.
(Disclaimer: I am not a RF fan. She doesnt make me feel and she was rightly fined / reprimanded for not reporting her injury. Bless her for working in a mental health lab and I am sure if she chooses she will go on and get her advanced degrees and be a great scientist. I vow to get over my grief and stop throwing popcorn at her when I see here in the stands.....:rofl:)
Rachael may not have been everyone's cup of tea but she was one hell of a competitor. Imagine Rachael's competitive grit coupled with Gracie Gold's talent Gracie would have been almost unbeatable.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Rachael may not have been everyone's cup of tea but she was one hell of a competitor. Imagine Rachael's competitive grit coupled with Gracie Gold's talent Gracie would have been almost unbeatable.

To be fair, Rachel never faced the amount of pressure that Gracie has. She had been promoted as a gold medal contender at virtually every event between Sochi and Boston Worlds.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Nagasu made a very bad decision. With absolutely no speed on the second jump landing and having hit a dead Stop she decided to do The third jump in the combo. It was a big mistake. It was illustrative of poor technical decision making that would routinely damage her.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker

I will give you that.....I think it was at SkateAmerica Portland where she did a comeback long program even though she was injured. I told her coach...or was it her folks? I am getting old....that she rocked, meaning it was a gusty performance.
Just for fun, here is a candid shot I took of her at the practice rink at Four Conts Colorado Springs 2007. She probably wondered who was this guy looking at her.....security came over and talked with me and seemed disappointed that I had all my creds in order. ;)
http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/CoyoteChris303/media/Alaska/rf_zps5scfkmqv.jpg.html?sort=3&o=32

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Absolutely not. Mao was way underscored in my opinion. That LP of hers was one for the books. We haven't seen 2 triple axels (whether in one program or competition) recently, have we? Ironically, Mirai is one of the women trying the 3A today. Good for her.
The most recent instance was Mao at 2015 Cup of China :love:

I think Mirai will do it this season. Her 3A is looking very good.

Mirai means Future so it's never her time.

The Future is Now.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Future is Now.

Now is the future of the past. Even the past was the future. But the past and the future only exist in your mind and you only live in the current moment.

But yes, it would be good for Mirai to believe the future is Now.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Do you think if Mirai won the 2010 World's, she would of[sic] had a more successful career?

Well...not necessarily. Look at many others who have won World medals in recent years - Russia's Anna Pogorilaya is a good example. Didn't save her from a confidence crash last season. Also, remember that with big medals come big expectations, which can counteract the effect of any confidence boost, etc.

Success for figure skaters, or even athletes in general, is fleeting in most cases. Only the truly great can maintain it - for everyone else, it's a roller coaster or (bumpy) airplane ride at best.