Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire | Golden Skate

Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire

J

Joesitz

Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire

1. So that somebody else can win.

2. Like Elena Sokolov, she is too old.

3. Like Irina Slutsaya, she has won enough medals.

Any other reasons? None of the above make sense to me but for some fans, it is imperative that MK hang up blades.

We all expected Sasha to win. That didn't happen. Maybe next year. She's a very competent competitor.

Elena is doing just fine as the oldest Lady figure skater in competition. I think it's great to make such a comeback at her age!

Irina had some personal problems. I think it's safe to say we want her back and add more medals to her fabulous collection.

Why push any of them out?

Joe

D

dlksk8fan

Re: Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire

Injury
Pregnancy
School
Marriage
Tired of skating
Too old

I think she should skate and compete as long as she likes. She is only 22 years old, hardly an old lady.

A

ApacheApache

I have a very strong opinion on the issue of people asking a certain athlete retire. It's totally insensitive to the fans of the athlete. I just have to use Michelle as an example here. Do these people realise how much her fans want to see her perform and compete and enjoy her programs? No doubt there are few Michelle fans who do want her to retire but for a different reason, they want her to leave on a high note. How do Sarah fans feel if people suggest she retire this instant because she's not able to live up their expectations at the moment? If Sasha continued to fumble in major competitions, how would her fans feel if someone suggested she hang up her skates for failing to realise her incredible potential of being a great skater? That's cruel to Sarah and Sasha and their fans.

Whatever it is, nobody has the damn right to question an athlete's decision to stay in a sport, whether or not he/she is losing or still winning. My favourite sport is tennis and I have a strong passion for it. Agassi is my favourite player. No matter how badly Sampras has been playing (he's been in a long slump save for the US Open 2002), I've never suggested he retire. I would love to see this legend continue to play as long as he wants to. It's such a great feeling to see legends or great players around, never mind that they have not been performing well. I was very sad to see Jim Courier, Becker, Edberg and Graf go even though I was never their fan. Now for Michelle, she's been winning unlike those aforementioned tennis names yet people still suggest she retire.

Anyway, sorry for my ranting.

Ok, on a fun note, let me add to your list:

"Michelle should retire as she is preventing other young skaters from winning, it's not fair because she's winning by reputation and these poor young skaters simply have no chance to shine".:D

To the people who suggested that, sorry it's baseless, unless they can qualify that statement. Gosh I didn't know this sport has been so biased in favour of Michelle for 5,6, 7 years? And the media, legends, peers never complain about all her major wins - Nationals, Worlds? Are they blind or what?

J

Jimmy Hoffa 2

Because her non-fans want her to retire and the spoiled brats have never learned to accept when they don't get their way, so in order for everyone else not to be tortured by their constant whining, Kwan should retire.

S

sk8guy2k2

Cupcake is how old?

E

engrsktr

well apacheapache.... I don't take exception to other people's opinions, but I do take exception to someone telling me I don't have the right to question something. Do you NEVER question anything? perhaps I would be offended at that!

this is a question to everyone .... is there a list of topics I cannot bring up? if there is, please share... I obviously wasn't informed of this one....

M

maxell1313

Oh, you've got every right to question it. Just don't get your shorts in a wad when people disagree with you. If you want everyone to agree with your "Michelle should retire" opinion, I suggest the board Tara World. The moderator there might ask for your hand in marriage.

E

engrsktr

why is it that because I suggest that michelle (or any skater who has been around that long at the top) retire that I am immediately associated with tara or sasha or any other skater's "camp"...? I think that's unfair....
I don't get my shorts in a bunch when it comes to the discussion of the actual topic.. I do take exception to people who obviously don't read thoroughly and thoughtfully my entire message... (as long as it may be...)

B

berthes ghost

I hope that she retires when the time comes. I hope that she knows it. I know that a lot of fans disagree with me, and maybe I'm totally wrong but it's how I feel: Todd, Elvis and Maria were just imbarassing at SLC. Like seeing your mother drunk. I really don't want to see Kwan skating past her prime and coming in 10th behind kids who were in diapers when she won her first title. Obviously she's not at that point yet, but I hope she can recognize it when she is.

I hope that she can see that there are other things in life than skating. It would be nice if she finished school, had kids, etc... I know that skating is her life passion, but I hope that she can strike a ballance. Sonia Henie was so sad towards the end.

A

ApacheApache

engrsktr: "well apacheapache.... I don't take exception to other people's opinions, but I do take exception to someone telling me I don't have the right to question something. Do you NEVER question anything? perhaps I would be offended at that!

this is a question to everyone .... is there a list of topics I cannot bring up? if there is, please share... I obviously wasn't informed of this one.... "

First of all, engrsktr, my apology if I in a way offended you. Honestly, your posts about Michelle never offended me, I'm one who's for balanced views. The thing is, I find your opinion on certain issues concerning her longevity baseless and ridiculous to a certain extent. You have every right to have your opinion, so do I have every right to disagree. :) Please bear in mind, I don't hate you or dislike you, I just don't agree with you.

I like this board a lot, the posters are sensible and very seldom I hear of personal attacks, let's all discuss in harmony and clear all misunderstanding if there's any. But I'll continue to disagree with you.:lol:

R

rgirl181

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Oh, you've got every right to question it. Just don't get your shorts in a wad when people disagree with you.[/quote] ITA, Maxell. I also agree with Berthes Ghost that Michelle should retire only when she wants to. IMO, tain't nobody's bidness but Michelle's as to when she should retire from eligible competition. I think she is skating on a whole new level now and hope to see her skate for as many more years as she wants to stay on the eligible circuit.
Rgirl

L

Linny

To retire or to move to different venue

Wholly molly, considering what almost seems like an acerbic tone of some of the other posts....

What if Michelle were going to retire at all, but instead move her skating to a different arena? How about Michelle being the one to raise the bar considerably on the appeal and content of non-ISU competition?

Linny

R

realistic51

To retire or not to retire?

First of all, engrsktr, all the ladies on the podium at Worlds this year were over 21 years of age. I find that quite wonderful myself. Secondly, Cupcake is making a comeback at 23 years of age. I found that marvelous. And she's been on the scene as long as Michelle Kwan. 'Nuff said...:rollin:

As far as reasons for Michelle to retire, this was my favorite dumb reason that I've seen for awhile:

"Michelle is hogging all the medals so the younger skaters don't have any chance of medaling."

Ok, that one got me in stitches:rollin:

J

Joesitz

Re: To retire or not to retire?

Michelle can be beaten and she has been: Check out Tara, Irina, and Sarah, and after which, she was considered 'through'. Yet she has not been off the podium for 9 years. So she does get medals consistently.

She has a huge fan base. With this declining public interest in this Sport what would happen if she retired? I believe there would be less interest in the Sport. When MK ok'd going into Skate America last year, the attendance went up. Tom Collins is aware of the drawing power of MK.

Let's keep her around for the sake of the sport. Skaters who haven't yet beaten her will have more chances. Some fans want MK to stay so their favorite can beat her. It's possible.

Joe

E

engrsktr

Re: To retire or not to retire?

realistic51 -

when I say "young" skaters, I don't mean young in AGE... I mean how long they've been on the scene...the actual age of any skater has nothing to do with anything I've said.... I'm talking about time on the scene...
Joesitz
it may be true that michelle is a big draw... but the lack of her presence wouldn't hurt the sport... those true to it would stick around as always... like they were there BEFORE michelle was....
and if you look at it, since the tonya/nancy thing, skating has gotten bigger, but it's only a matter of time before the novelty of it wears off for those who came to be fans as a result (direct or indirect) of that incident....skating doesn't lose true fans as a result of their favorite skater leaving...

P

Pookie

Reasons for Michelle Kwan to Retire?

How about death? :D

P

Pather2000

<em>MAXWELL 1313:

That was hella funny.:rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: . I busted out laughing here in my office.

But, here is my 2 cents;)

I two am very tired of that question. People have the right to ask them But, if they were to take a step back & actually, listen to themselves & try to put their favorite skater in Michelles spot. Would they want their skater tobe forced out. NO. they wouldn't. & The reason for letting other win. Please, Michelle has been a senoir sense the age of 13 & not until she was able to put on a More Mature & CLEAN Skated Programs( which she never had a problem with skating clean back then). Michelle can be beaten like it was stated in this thread But, she will not lay down & shouldn't have to lay down so other skaters & their fans can feel better about themselves.

Michelle was suppose to loose at Nationals, She was the Underdog. She couldn't win. But, What did she do. She came to play. While others thought that they could get buy with Major Mistakes in their programs or whatever.

WORLDS, Samething. She had her Game face on & skated great( LP was better at Nationals). But, you had to skate Beyond great to beat her. 3/3 are nice but when you have nothing to go with it. Well, there you go. She wasn't unbeatable there. But, you had to skate Damn Freaking Great to beat her. Everyone, had their chance. As they do whenever they compete.

A 22 year old should retire, Yeah. Thank god people who think like that don't make laws. Otherwise people maybe forced to retire at the age of 40. So the 20 year olds can make all the money. After all the 40 year olds have been around for a while:rolleyes:

People have to write to ask the question. But, to quote BETTY DAIVS," Fasten your seatbealts it's going to be a bumpy night" or something close to that. </em>

R

realistic51

Alrighty then!

engrsktr, "young" as on the skating scene young would knock out Irina, Elena Liashenko, Elena Sokolova, Fumie Suguri, Viktoria Volchkova (sp). "young" on the skating scene would knock at Yagudin, Plushenko, Honda, and a few others. What is "young" on the skating scene then? Is it 2-3 years? 4-5 years? Or does it only apply to those who have been around say 9-10 years? You can't have it the way you want it because by the time 2006 rolls around, Sasha will be on the scene for 8 years, Sarah for almost 10, etc. Would you have them stop before the Olympics because they are on the skating scene too long? Hmmmmm...something to think about.:rolleyes:

And, to be quite frank with you, I do think that amateur figure skating will suffer viewership when Michelle Kwan leaves the sport. And if she goes pro, that those shows will pick up in attendance. JMHO, but there are too many fairweather figure skating fans that WON'T watch anymore. But then, basically, figure skating would be back to where it was before Tonya/Nancy. Men's viewership is already heading that direction.

I've watched figure skating since Peggy Fleming won her gold medal. I've always loved figure skating. But lately I've made the decision that when Michelle Kwan stops competing or quits altogether, then I will no longer have the desire to watch this sport. There are no up-and-comers that truly interest me or captivate me the way figure skaters have in the past. Plus the sport has become too jump-oriented for me in the amateur side. So many of these up-and-comers are neglecting basic skating skills for those big jumps, and that just doesn't interest me.

So while I am only one of a million that would tune into something else when Michelle Kwan retires, I still think there will be others as well.

E

eltamina

off topic

"young" as on the skating scene young would knock out Irina, Elena Liashenko, Elena Sokolova, Fumie Suguri, Viktoria Volchkova
________

Off topic please, I just discover, rediscover Fumie. I hope she won't retire, let the jumping queens Miki Ando, Asada sisters beat her consistently before she retires .

<span style="color:red;font-size:medium;">Congrats Michelle, Elena and Fumie</span>

C

CB1AB2

===NONE===SHE SHOULD SKATE AS LONG AS SHE WANTS TO.
CB