2018 Olympics Team Event- | Golden Skate

2018 Olympics Team Event-

fredtx121

On the Ice
So after the Nebelhorn Trophy, some countries now qualify for the team event with 3 out of the 4 disciplines. What happens now with the discipline they did not qualify for during the team event? Do they just get the lowest placement and points for that event?

Also, South Korea has qualified for the 3 out of the 4 disciplines needed to participate in the Olympic team event. Ironically North Korea has just qualified a pairs spot which is the discipline South Korea did not qualify for. Just wondering if they would allow a unified Korea team to participate at the Team event. That would be something historic.

Andrea82

Medalist
There are 10 Additional Quotas place that can be used to fill uncompleted teams in the Team Event.
If they are not enough, some teams (the ones at the bottom of the Qualification ranking for Team Event) will be left uncompleted.

But given the current situation, they will be more than enough.

Japan will use 2 places for a Pair. South Korea will use other 2 for their Pair. And Israel a 5th place for a Lady. If Australia make it instead of Israel they will use them for Ice Dance. If it is Czech Republic making it they would use only 1 spot (Ladies). Therefore I can't see more than 6 out of 10 additional places to be used.

Barb

Record Breaker
So after the Nebelhorn Trophy, some countries now qualify for the team event with 3 out of the 4 disciplines. What happens now with the discipline they did not qualify for during the team event? Do they just get the lowest placement and points for that event?

Also, South Korea has qualified for the 3 out of the 4 disciplines needed to participate in the Olympic team event. Ironically North Korea has just qualified a pairs spot which is the discipline South Korea did not qualify for. Just wondering if they would allow a unified Korea team to participate at the Team event. That would be something historic.

Have you lost your mind? :eek:

s_parks

Record Breaker
???Kim jong un is even more looney toons than his father or grandfather. The Koreas haven't marched together in a while and it's obviously not happening now, much less compete as one team. Korean netizens aren't even happy about NK trying to compete in the olympics.

lappo

Final Flight
Have you lost your mind? :eek:

Before the tensions excalated, this was actually the intention of SK government and there were concrete proposals about it: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...korea-host-some-winter-olympics-skiing-events

I don't know how South Koreans feel but, as a distant observer, wouldn't it be OK if a joint partecipation in some discipline could ease the situation in the whole peninsula? I know that this is quite unrealistic, given the present situation, but it would way better than countries not going to the Olympics or, worst, the Olympics be cancelled, IMO (well, and the Olympics be cancelled would even be the lesser problem if war starts there).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this discussion, but I would like to talk about the potential U.S. team and how the USFS would strategize to come up with the team with the most points potential v. consistency.

I was thinking about the U.S. Team Event after the GPF. Of course all of this can change after Nationals.

I think now more than ever, the USFS may persuade Nathan to do both the SP and LP for the Mens event, and he will probably agree because he's young and thinks he can do both despite the turn-around and will probably think he practices run-throughs with quads anyway so what's one more run-through in a competition setting? They might even present it as a practice run for his individual. The potential for two first place showings in one discipline may be too much for the USFS to ignore.

For ice dance, I think the Shibs will do the SD because they have an excellent vehicle that can score over 80 and may play spoiler for a higher placement if any of the top 2 under-perform like they did at the 2016-2017 GPF SD. For the FD, the USFS has to decide whether to use H/D or C/B for the FD. I actually don't know if nationals results will make a difference here as all three teams have the potential to score well and are expected to place third at best in the FD barring a major error or two by the top 2 (if France gets to do the Team Final which I think they may be able to qualify for). H/D has shown they can beat Cappellini/Lanotte (if Italy makes it to the team final) while Chock/Bates have beaten Bobrova/Soloviev and Cappellini/Lanotte this season. While H/D placed higher than C/B overall in the GPF, C/B were able to beat H/D in the FD so who knows what the USFS will decide will be the "stronger" team to do the FD.

Unfortunately, because all three U.S. ice dance teams are strong, if the USFS decides to use two U.S. men instead of just Nathan, this is where I see them using only one entrant because they may think it doesn't matter which team they'll use here as they all have the same potential to place third.

As for ladies, I think they'll only use one lady if Nathan refuses to do both events and if they decide to throw a second ice dance team a bone as a thank you for performing so well in the last three seasons and being the rock for Team USA. If that's the case, I definitely see Tennell being the sole choice if she makes the team just because she has shown multiple times this season that she can at least fully rotate her jumps and doesn't need to stress out about who is on the tech panel.

If they use two ladies, and if Tennell makes the team, I see the USFS thinking she's the ONLY option to use for the SP because the last thing we need is for a U.S. lady to be buried in rankings by skaters who may or may not make the team final, especially if Tennell manages to land and rotate all of her jumps in at least the SP at Nationals. As for the LP, I can see one of Mirai or Ashley doing the LP. Mirai for the "no guts no glory" pick as she has the TES BV and maybe can land at least 5 other triples that are rotated. They may choose Ashley because her PCS may help her out in the LP and maybe she has her stuff together by February to land more triples fully rotated. I don't see Karen Chen being a factor in the team event unless she wins Nationals and there's some understanding that the National Champion will do the team event (I don't know if that's the case). Karen has the potential to be utterly amazing, but she also has the potential to place last or near last. I figure USFS will think that Karen can just focus on the individual and whether she does well or not only affects her placement rather than the whole U.S. team.

What do you guys think?

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this discussion, but I would like to talk about the potential U.S. team and how the USFS would strategize to come up with the team with the most points potential v. consistency.

I was thinking about the U.S. Team Event after the GPF. Of course all of this can change after Nationals.

I think now more than ever, the USFS may persuade Nathan to do both the SP and LP for the Mens event, and he will probably agree because he's young and thinks he can do both despite the turn-around and will probably think he practices run-throughs with quads anyway so what's one more run-through in a competition setting? They might even present it as a practice run for his individual. The potential for two first place showings in one discipline may be too much for the USFS to ignore.

For ice dance, I think the Shibs will do the SD because they have an excellent vehicle that can score over 80 and may play spoiler for a higher placement if any of the top 2 under-perform like they did at the 2016-2017 GPF SD. For the FD, the USFS has to decide whether to use H/D or C/B for the FD. I actually don't know if nationals results will make a difference here as all three teams have the potential to score well and are expected to place third at best in the FD barring a major error or two by the top 2 (if France gets to do the Team Final which I think they may be able to qualify for). H/D has shown they can beat Cappellini/Lanotte (if Italy makes it to the team final) while Chock/Bates have beaten Bobrova/Soloviev and Cappellini/Lanotte this season. While H/D placed higher than C/B overall in the GPF, C/B were able to beat H/D in the FD so who knows what the USFS will decide will be the "stronger" team to do the FD.

Unfortunately, because all three U.S. ice dance teams are strong, if the USFS decides to use two U.S. men instead of just Nathan, this is where I see them using only one entrant because they may think it doesn't matter which team they'll use here as they all have the same potential to place third.

As for ladies, I think they'll only use one lady if Nathan refuses to do both events and if they decide to throw a second ice dance team a bone as a thank you for performing so well in the last three seasons and being the rock for Team USA. If that's the case, I definitely see Tennell being the sole choice if she makes the team just because she has shown multiple times this season that she can at least fully rotate her jumps and doesn't need to stress out about who is on the tech panel.

If they use two ladies, and if Tennell makes the team, I see the USFS thinking she's the ONLY option to use for the SP because the last thing we need is for a U.S. lady to be buried in rankings by skaters who may or may not make the team final, especially if Tennell manages to land and rotate all of her jumps in at least the SP at Nationals. As for the LP, I can see one of Mirai or Ashley doing the LP. Mirai for the "no guts no glory" pick as she has the TES BV and maybe can land at least 5 other triples that are rotated. They may choose Ashley because her PCS may help her out in the LP and maybe she has her stuff together by February to land more triples fully rotated. I don't see Karen Chen being a factor in the team event unless she wins Nationals and there's some understanding that the National Champion will do the team event (I don't know if that's the case). Karen has the potential to be utterly amazing, but she also has the potential to place last or near last. I figure USFS will think that Karen can just focus on the individual and whether she does well or not only affects her placement rather than the whole U.S. team.

What do you guys think?

I agree with everything, except for I'm not sure that Karen may even make the team. You mentioned 4 ladies but of course they can only pick from the 3 that they name onto the team.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I agree with everything, except for I'm not sure that Karen may even make the team. You mentioned 4 ladies but of course they can only pick from the 3 that they name onto the team.

I know, I'm just putting contenders there. In case anyone of the four I mentioned made the team. In the case of the team being Karen, Mirai, and Ashley without Bradie, then I only see Mirai and Ashley doing the TE (whether or not it's only one of them or both of them remains to be seen but I foresee both of them). That was what my post about Karen was about as I just don't see USFS wanting to use her for the TE unless she's entitled to if she placed first at Nationals.

I agree that Nathan Chen is the key overall. The USFSA may figure that they cannot overtake Russia or Canada anyway, so they will be more cautious about protecting Nathan's individual medal chances. Or they may go along with whatever Nathan himself wants to do. At his age he may feel that he can hit 5 quads today and come back to hit 6 quads tomorrow.

It doesn't matter what they do in dance, xince they have three equally-matched couples. For pairs they have no reason not to go with the U.S. champions twice.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
It doesn't matter what they do in dance, xince they have three equally-matched couples. For pairs they have no reason not to go with the U.S. champions twice.

They also have no choice considering the U.S. only has one Olympic pairs slot. :(

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker

I'd like to see two dance teams do the event, since they are very deserving of the opportunity. I'd also like for two men to do the team competition, with Nathan doing the SP. He's got to be 100% rested for the individual event. The US women's champion should do the team event alone, as she will have plenty of rest for the individual event.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see two dance teams do the event, since they are very deserving of the opportunity.

Interesting off topic question....how do they know how many medals to make?? With the number of competitors increasing or decreasing based on decisions like this are there extra medals that may end up sitting around or do they make them as they are won?

frida80

Record Breaker

What do you guys think?

I’m the opposite. I’m thinking now more than ever they will not use Nathan for both events. Nathan was clearly tired from doing SA and the GPF so close together. I’m thinking Adam will get the FS. Now especially, since Nathan has consistently gotten a high score for his short. Five quads are exhausting. They want him for an individual medal. Adam has been the most consistent with the FS, so they’ll use him for the FS.

Dance is going to the Shibs only. It’s sad that C/B and H/D won’t get a chance. But it’s to risky. The Shibs are the least likely to lose to the Russians.

Yes, Bradie for Short and maybe for the LP too. However, they may want to rest her. As long as lady two scores higher than The French, everything will be fine.

Unless Chinese dance team gets dramatically better, I still have the US down for bronze.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Interesting off topic question....how do they know how many medals to make?? With the number of competitors increasing or decreasing based on decisions like this are there extra medals that may end up sitting around or do they make them as they are won?

That's a good question, because a team can be between 6 and 10 athletes. I would assume they make the most they would need, then destroy what isn't handed out.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Sounds as if Nathan is thinking in terms of skating both segments in the team event (i.e., competing a total of four times in PyeongChang):

Nathan Chen .... took part in the 2017 World Team Trophy .... He is eager to replicate that team experience in PyeongChang, but doesn’t expect to start training for it until much closer to the Games.
“For guys its like compete, compete, a few days (off), compete, compete,” he said. “So I’ll definitely need to make sure to implement that into my actual training routine. But otherwise it will just be like any other (year).”

https://www.teamusa.org/News/2017/D...g-Added-Challenge-Of-Olympic-Team-Event-Looms (Dec 6)​

Don't know whether this not-hot-off-the-press article was discussed in another thread? Sorry if I am late to the party. I just stumbled upon it on the USOC site.

Anyway, it indicates also that the Shibs want to skate both segments in the team event -- not that their desire would be surprising.
But I wonder whether USFS has given the Shibs any reason to expect that they would get their wish??
If Nathan really does end up skating both segments, then USFS would be free to have two dance couples in the team event.
(My personal bias is that I hope Madi/Zach will have a chance to compete in the team event. :pray:)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I hope it's the Shibs in both and Nathan gets a bit of rest...
Then Tennell and Nagasu could split the ladies depending on Nats results...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sounds as if Nathan is thinking in terms of skating both segments in the team event (i.e., competing a total of four times in PyeongChang)

This seems like a bad idea, especially since we have at least two other men (Jason and Adam) who can post decent LP scores. I think it would also put him at a big disadvantage against Shoma and Yuzuru, who will probably split the Japanese team workload.

I don't see any reason for two women to participate. I hope Bradie wins Nationals so she can do the team event and get another few skates in front of the international judges before the individual competition. Honestly, the USFSA should just go with whoever wins Nationals to do the team event.

That's a good question, because a team can be between 6 and 10 athletes. I would assume they make the most they would need, then destroy what isn't handed out.

Some enterprising fellow should find a way to pocket the extras and sell them later on ebay. :yes: