Skating world remembers Ludmila Protopopov | Golden Skate

Skating world remembers Ludmila Protopopov

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So sad. Ludmila Protopopov died of cancer at the age of 81. I will always remember how much joy they brought when they skated together.

Article

mrrice

Record Breaker
This team was legendary. My teacher used to talk about them and would show us videos of their performances. At practice, We would pair up and pretend to be pair skaters and we called our mock competitions, The Protopopov-Offs. We were dorks. Rest in peace to a lovely and talented woman. I can't believe I found this but this is the first performance of this historic team that I ever saw. This is the performance that out teacher played for us back in 1980. We actually saw it on a Beta Max Machine because we didn't have VHS yet.

It was after seeing the tape of this performance that we found out that this older couple were once World and Olympic Champions. OGM performance:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tY_2eE9hv8 Professional Performance from 1984:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlhlyKN9QE

jcoates

Medalist
A lovely person and one half of a magical couple. So many beautiful memories of watching them. RIP.

What a loss to the world of figure skating. :cry: Of all the pairs skaters in history, the Protopopovs embodied "two skating as one." They truly revolutionized the sport. They continued to skate well into their seventies.

Ludmila was the queen of the ice.

noskates

Record Breaker
I was so sad to read about this. I remember them skating in the past years and there was so much love and connection between them. That "once a year" skate was so important to them and they gave back so much to figure skating. RIP Ludmilla.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Loved their skating. Everything was pristine: posture, edges, extension, etc. Their commitment to the sport was incomparable.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
RIP Ludmilla. She was in a class all her own. My condolences to her dear husband Oleg and to her family members. :(

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is a great loss for the sport.

I urge younger fans who may not be familiar with them in their prime to watch this video of their long program from 1968.

Focus especially on the spiral work from 3:20 to about 4:00 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrL54VzA1T4

They completely reinvented the sport. The successors, Irina Rodnina and her partners, took it in a different direction with their speed and athleticism, but the Protopopovs were pure magic.

Alba

Record Breaker
One of the most beautiful and elegant Pair couple I have ever seen. :love:
I made a video tribute for her: In Memoriam.
RIP Ljudmila.:(

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
A terrible loss to Oleg & the skating world :cry: There will never be another pairs team like them. RIP, Ludmilla.

Weathergal

Medalist
This team was legendary. My teacher used to talk about them and would show us videos of their performances. At practice, We would pair up and pretend to be pair skaters and we called our mock competitions, The Protopopov-Offs. We were dorks. Rest in peace to a lovely and talented woman. I can't believe I found this but this is the first performance of this historic team that I ever saw. This is the performance that out teacher played for us back in 1980. We actually saw it on a Beta Max Machine because we didn't have VHS yet.

It was after seeing the tape of this performance that we found out that this older couple were once World and Olympic Champions. OGM performance:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tY_2eE9hv8 Professional Performance from 1984:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amlhlyKN9QE

Thanks for the clips, mrrice.

Legendary often gets overused IMO, but not in this case. Their UNISON, their grace, their lines, their extension, their posture, the quality, the smoothness, the connection...nothing forced or awkward. Seamless. Perfection can sometimes come across as cold, but not in this case.

I always enjoyed seeing them in the Harvard Evening with Champions every year so I'll add this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTKrB71kOaw

Condolences to her husband and all those who loved her. RIP Ludmilla.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Strange, how life is. I was just watching their 68 performance, not 10 days ago and talking to a friend about them and how magnificent and influential they had been on skating.

What a great loss but at the same time, she leaves behind a great achievement, one that'll last and how many can say that. Condolences to her husband, and her loved ones.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Such a terrible loss to the skating world. I had the honor of skating with them for the past 3? years and she seemed fine at practice last week, but I know she wasn't fit enough to skate at an evening with champions. Skating's not going to be the same without them :(
Condolonces to Oleg and her loved ones.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I wonder what would have happened had pairs gone a different direction what would have happened. The Protopopovs were amazing but certainly skating, good or bad when tthe way of Rodina and friends. She will be missed but not forgotten.

Alba

Record Breaker
That's beautiful, Alba. (needs her DOB edited.... I don't want to be picky though.... sorry)

Oh Damn! :bang:
It's not picky at all. Thanks for telling me. I missed that completely.
Thanks for telling me. :thumbsup:

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
One of the most beautiful and elegant Pair couple I have ever seen. :love:
I made a video tribute for her: In Memoriam.
RIP Ljudmila.:(

Alba, thanks for posting the memoriam, it was beautiful. I only saw them skate at the Harvard Evening with Champions and looked forward to it every year they did it.