In A Galaxy Far, Far Away -- It's all Over | Golden Skate

In A Galaxy Far, Far Away -- It's all Over

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&ncid=762&e=1&u=/nm/20040913/en_nm/arts_starwars_dc

Anthony Daniels is not as well known as Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, or Harrison Ford, but I think he was just as important to the movie. He's never *seen* even though he IS in the costume, but he's that distinctive voice of C-3PO that is so recognizable. I have always loved reading what he has to say.

And I completely agree that George lost focus on the prequils... too much computer not enough story... the only thing going for them is Ewan McGregor LOL jmho on that one ;)

Still it will be sad, for this Star Wars Freak, when the last SW movie is shown in theatres :(

Antilles

Medalist
Nice article. I'm a huge SW fan, and have been very disappointed with the first two prequels. I don't know how one can make such great actors as Ewan MacGregor and Natalie Portman sound so canned. I don't find any of it believable.

I love the originals, and I read the books. I am anxiously awaiting the new DVD, but I hear Lucas has been tinkering with the originals again. Augh.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think a lot of his tinkering is due to James Cameron's comments after Titanic and how "his" graphics were so much more "realistic" than George's team(even though Cameron used George's companies) and even said that he came up with a lot of the programs used today when really that credit goes back to the original star wars team for getting started and I think goes on to the team that created the technology for Jurrasic Park... but anyway I shouldn't bring HIM into it

I also read the book (which I think we've discussed in PMs) One of my dreams is that when I get into Hollywood(if I do) I want to talk George into letting me complete the saga based on the New Jedi Order books.... I think it'd work... he said at one time that he wanted to make Star Wars a 9 part epic... I could finish that job! LOL with less special effects!

STL_Blues_fan

Final Flight
Amongnst some notable changes: Hayden Christensen's face appears when Darth Vader's helmet is removed instead of the original actor (can't recall his name). Jubba the Hunt apperance also changes.

BTW, amazon has the set for $42, a real bargain to pre-order considering the retail of $70. S&H is free.

Yana

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
David Prowse... he is also replaced in the final scene where Luke sees his father, Ben Kenobi, and Yoda's spirits... I think it's stupid... give David his due!

mike79

On the Ice
Actually it's Sebastian Shaw who's being replaced. Prowse was the actor behind the mask, while Shaw played the part of ghost Anakin and dying Vader. I have no problem with Lucas playing with the Star Wars movie as much as he wants; they are his movies after all. Do I agree with all of the changes? Hell no, especially Greedo shooting first.

I have no problem with the prequels whatsoever. The acting for the most part is bad, but it wasn't that great in the OT either. These movies are supposed to be derived from the old Saturday morning pulp series from the 30's and 40's - not a source of great acting either.

These new movies are so scrutinized because of the OT that most people are going to find something to complain about anyway. Are they as good as the originals? No. But they're fun and add so much background to the overall story arc that I find it easy to enjoy them.

mike79

On the Ice
In case you guys didn't know, the Ewok movies and the Droids cartoon are being released onto DVD in November.

It's also been officially announced that there will be a Star Wars TV series sometime down the road. They haven't announced whether it'll be after the prequels or after the OT.

Antilles

Medalist
Toni, I do remember Pm-ing about the books. I think Zahn's first trilogy would make fantastic movies, although the actors are a little old now. The New Jedi order could be great, too.

Greedo shooting first really issilly. He was supposed to bring Han to Jabba alive. if he didn't see the gun, why would he shoot and risk peeving off Jabba?

What I hated the most about the new movies was bringing back old characters, ie Threepio and Artoo. You'd think Vader might remember them in his later life.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
especially since he seems to love them as a boy and young man...

my biggest problem with teh movies is the over use of the graphics... like Anthony Daniels said, it loses some of the magic because hey for every ONE actor/character there are 100 computerized charaters... is this a pixar movie or a Star Wars movie? LOL

I'm not saying that George shouldn't play with his movies... but if it isn't broke DONT go about fixing it... what was sooooo great about the Original OT was that it was not a graphics filled thing (well ok it WAS but it was so different from what you were used to seeing back then[ie JAWS and the rubber jaw LOL])

I guess it's just not as... special once you go about "updating" it.