Skating in Australia? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating in Australia?

Sam L

Medalist
The lesson was so-so tbh
I was hoping to tell my coach what i'm trying to achieve etc in the first few lessons but coach just said something like 'don't do tests'
I feel like the coach wouldnt be very helpful in helping me achieve my personal best so i am considering a change...

Why don’t you just tell them or another coach what test you want to do? I was encouraged to do tests so if that’s what you want to do and compete find one that will encourage you and be upfront with them.

Sam L

Medalist
should i contact multiple coaches at the same time and get trial lessons with them? Do I need to tell them which coach I am also training with etc?
(Sorry it sounds so stupid. In my country usually no one has multiple coaches and if you do, people/coaches will judge you lol lots of drama)

You shouldn’t have multiple coaches. Tell them the truth that you want to change.

heytherewhatsup

Rinkside
Why don’t you just tell them or another coach what test you want to do? I was encouraged to do tests so if that’s what you want to do and compete find one that will encourage you and be upfront with them.

I did tell my coach that I want to go up to basic novice for now and ultimate aim is to do adv novice etc but the coach is not very supportive and doesnt understand why i want to do tests. Not saying the coach is not good but just that our values are a bit different so i am looking for another one...

Spinning

On the Ice
Your coach might have a good reason why he/she wants to keep you grounded. I see most ISI skaters in Asia not only weak in technical but the jumps are borderline downgraded in most cases. You are only 22, young and strong enough to accelerate quickly with good coaching. You might end up get to where you want to be faster than you think! Good luck.