Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Ways IJS Could Improve

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Weathergal View Post
    Can we leave the ageism out of the discussion? It's one thing to say that ideally a judging panel should encompass a range of ages (and be relatively equal in number of people of each gender, geographically diverse, etc.) And several posters have brought up those suggestions, particularly on the geographic side.

But it's another thing to say you "have nothing against old people." Just calling them "old people" isn't very kind, although I'm hoping you didn't mean it that way. And how old is old anyway?

As far as older judges go, yes some of them might be stuck in their ways, and I'm all for bringing in fresh air and a younger perspective. But just as I try not to dismiss someone who's younger just because of their age and try to appreciate what they have to offer, likewise someone who is younger shouldn't dismiss someone older just because of their age. Respect is a two-way street. The experience and the wisdom that comes with age can be very valuable.

As far as getting tired after working a long day goes, I'm a fair amount older than some of my co-workers (although not "old" by any means), and I can - and do - work circles around them. That has to do with determination and dedication to the job. And those aren't determined by age. Yes, I am talking about 10 or 11 hour days in a job that is often stressful and requires a great deal of accuracy and is fast paced. Then coming home and helping with homework and/or doing volunteer work. What I can't do is recover as fast from a long evening as my younger co-workers do, but that's a different story! LOL

Anyway I wanted to offer another perspective and again I hope that isn't quite how you meant that.
    Sorry for misunderstandings.. I meant that... from season to season for a long time I see the same judges at the major competitions. For example - from my country Ukraine it will be Makarova or Mikhailovskaia or some other judge, who started to serve internationally 10-15-20-25 years ago or even more. Same way I can predict, who will serve from other country.... And that's from season to season... All I want is just bringing the fresh air and young blood to the judge and tech panels on major competitions.

0 Not allowed!
    I want the fall deductions to be the amount of falls squared.
    at the moment if you fall 4 times, you get 6 marks in deductions. I honestly feel like that is not enough.

4^2= 16 marks of deductions seems reasonable because when you fall that many times, the program is lost, you lose the audience and judges.

Hitting the "you're too sexy" button

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevari View Post
    Sorry for misunderstandings.. I meant that... from season to season for a long time I see the same judges at the major competitions. For example - from my country Ukraine it will be Makarova or Mikhailovskaia or some other judge, who started to serve internationally 10-15-20-25 years ago or even more. Same way I can predict, who will serve from other country.... And that's from season to season... All I want is just bringing the fresh air and young blood to the judge and tech panels on major competitions.
    You know that those judges have experience, right? You can't just throw young, inexperienced judges into international competition.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by karne View Post
    You know that those judges have experience, right? You can't just throw young, inexperienced judges into international competition.
    I don't mean all-youngsters or all-rookie-judge panels, but just bring one or two or maybe three young judges per panel. In other words - to make kinda mix of experience and youth.

By the way.. for me that kinda aint right to put the experience at the forefront. I agree - experience is important, very important... But none of us came to this world already having an experience in what we do. The only way to get experience is practice, practice and more practice. "Practice makes perfect" right? So where can young judge have a practice to work under the same or similar conditions (pressure and so on) as at the Worlds for example?

So just place two-three maximum young judges per panel so let youth get the experience - that's what I want to suggest. And maybe let this spots be kinda reward for young judges and tech panel members who demonstrated the best quality of work during the season at the minor internationals...

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevari View Post
    Thanks - that is fair, and I certainly wouldn't disagree with that. I think many of us agree that a mixture of people with a wide variety of ages, genders, countries, etc. is ideal so that judging doesn't reflect one narrow range of tastes, bias, etc.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6