2017 JGP Italy Mens FS | Page 6 | Golden Skate

2017 JGP Italy Mens FS

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I did say OSMOND's injury was more than two years in the past, but have never commented on Nadeau's injury.
Andrew's injury was so bad that there was considerable question that he wouldn't be able to return to figure skating.

Forgive me then chuckie.... i must be confused... doesn't change my point.... Osmond's case is of the same type as Andrew then.... her injury was so bad that nobody knew she would skate again, yet be competitive enough to get on the world's podium.

I don't want this thread to get derailed. I simply expressed disappointment as Jo didn't make it and IMHO he belongs to the JGPF crew. But that is the nature of the sport... you win some, you lose some...

Good job to all those who qualified and looking forward to watching them compete at JGPF!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Andrew Torgashev was born in Florida. Last I checked that was in the US of A. If he’s Russian, I’m the czar.(ina)

He is not. But the heritage is there. His father Artem skated for the Soviet Union, even won the silver medal at the ISU World Junior Championships 1987. Then he moved to the US.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
He is not. But the heritage is there. His father Artem skated for the Soviet Union, even won the silver medal at the ISU World Junior Championships 1987. Then he moved to the US.

Yes, and I am sure that he proud of his Russian heritage, as he should be.:agree: I am sure that Anthony Ponomarenko is proud of his Russian heritage. I am sure that Nathan Chen is proud of his Chinese heritage, as his parents were born in China. Karen Chen is undoubtedly proud of her Taiwanese heritage, as her parents moved to the US from Taiwan.

But Andrew and Anthony are not Russian, Nathan is not Chinese, and Karen is not Taiwanese. All of these skaters were born in the US of A, and all of them are American.

luckyguy

Match Penalty
Yes, and I am sure that he proud of his Russian heritage, as he should be.:agree: I am sure that Anthony Ponomarenko is proud of his Russian heritage. I am sure that Nathan Chen is proud of his Chinese heritage, as his parents were born in China. Karen Chen is undoubtedly proud of her Taiwanese heritage, as her parents moved to the US from Taiwan.

But Andrew and Anthony are not Russian, Nathan is not Chinese, and Karen is not Taiwanese. All of these skaters were born in the US of A, and all of them are American.

I think they have dual citizenship - American and Russian.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they have dual citizenship - American and Russian.

I do not mean to derail this thread longer; I have no idea what the law in Russia as to automatic citizenship is. The country of Henryland could say that all persons born with parents with the name Henry are citizens, but what would I care?:laugh:

I do not know if Andrew and Anthony actually have two passports or just qualify; that would be an interesting question. But just from quickly reviewing the top contenders for the US Oly skating team in my head, of those for which I actually know anything about their parents, maybe one third? have parents born in countries other than the US. Which says nothing other than 1) their parents wanted to move from their place of birth to the US (welcome! :clap:) and 2) their kids are “all American”.

Back to the subject: Go Alex K., Camden and Andrew T., great showing for Team USA:hap85:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Andrew was born in America but his skating looks 100% Russian, thanks to his parents, and that's why I prefer him to all the other US skaters. Dramatic and powerful. And the influence of training in Russia is clearly still there for Alexei. Nobody can say if he would have been as successful if he only ever trained in Russia or America. I am sure he learned certain things from Mishin's school he couldn't learn here and I'm sure he learned things from his current coaches that help him be successful in the US system.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Just like the U.S. Ice Dance teams have benefited from coaches from outside the US. But the fact is they (the ice dance teams and Andrew and Alexei) still represent the U.S. and the USFS has invested (however how you feel feel about how well it is doing at getting a return) in them through training funds, camps and competition opportunities.

Russia has had men medal at every jgp, including several winners. There's no need to try to "defect" us skaters to make their program look better. :laugh:

Last edited:

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
In the United States people are not divided by ethnic differences, they don't care about your blood. British, Scots, Irish, Jews, Russian, African, German, Chinise, Japanese, Korean, Indian, etc - if they were born in the US, or decided to live there - all of them are Americans. Don't know why you need to find who is from where and so on. This thing I also noticed from some posters here, which made accent on Evgenia. Like she is half Russian and half Armenian, about Alina, that she's half Tatar. Why do this? If you have the same ethnicity - well, good for you, you can proud of those skaters, like Ari said he proud of Zhenya. But there is no need to do accent on this.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
In the United States people are not divided by ethnic differences, they don't care about your blood. British, Scots, Irish, Jews, Russian, African, German, Chinise, Japanese, Korean, Indian, etc - if they were born in the US, or decided to live there - all of them are Americans. Don't know why you need to find who is from where and so on. This thing I also noticed from some posters here, which made accent on Evgenia. Like she is half Russian and half Armenian, about Alina, that she's half Tatar. Why do this? If you have the same ethnicity - well, good for you, you can proud of those skaters, like Ari said he proud of Zhenya. But there is no need to do accent on this.

That's a nice fantasy you have about the US, but in fact if you paid any attention to our news (especially since last November), you would know that it is not reality at all. I don't want to get too offtopic, but it's complete nonsense. Ask Puerto Ricans if they feel like Americans right now, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree that it's not relevant to fixate on anyone's ethnicity, but at the same time I don't see a problem with talking about the cultural influence in their skating.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
He didn't skate great at his first event, but unfortunately most of the skaters in Brisbane were screwed by the low scores.

yup... double the issue here.... not sure what skate canada thought about sending their highest prospect to the first event... maybe they felt he was the readiest to podium... and i guess he was... but damn that lp... it's okay he just turned 16... he still has time to develop and get other opportunities. I am just very impressed by his overall quality

puremagic

-
Record Breaker
That's a nice fantasy you have about the US, but in fact if you paid any attention to our news (especially since last November), you would know that it is not reality at all. I don't want to get too offtopic, but it's complete nonsense. Ask Puerto Ricans if they feel like Americans right now, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

I agree that it's not relevant to fixate on anyone's ethnicity, but at the same time I don't see a problem with talking about the cultural influence in their skating.

Well, the same I can say about Mexicans, but I was talking about relationship between people. The last time when I was in New York, on the streets were about 70% Asian people of the whole traffic (probably Koreans, I'm not sure), for a moment I was thinking, "maybe it's New Seoul/Tokyo/Beijing?" But I heard their speech, and many of them spoke native English, without any accent. And if you ask them who they are, they will answer to you that they're Americans.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have no problem with someone saying that they think someone skates in a certain “style”, whatever that may be. That said, I don’t follow Russian skaters (other than seeing them in comps), so I don’t know what their style is. This I do know:

Alexei has learned a great deal from the Cains that has helped him before international judges in the JGP. I have no doubt that training with Mishin helped, but Alexei himself has credited the Cain’s for his growth into an internationally competitive skater. Go Alexei :clap:

And since I know nothing about a Russian style, one of the major reasons that I love Andrew T. because he reminds me of another wonderful American performer, Jason Brown. That StSeq in El Tango de Roxanne could come straight from Rohene and the performance chops that I had the pleasure of seeing live mirror Jason’s. The highest praise I could give anyone:agree: Making those chops even more impressive, he has them at such a young age, just like Jason. Go Andrew T.:clap:

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Matteo Rizzo is the man who should be most upset. If he had done a bit better in Gdansk he would've been in to the GPF. He missed out by about 4 points. But what a come back here! He's had a crazy 3 weeks and I hope he gets some rest.

Rissa

Record Breaker
he probably meant ethnically: Torgashev, Krasnozhon, Ignatov and Erokhov

Sorry to go back to an old thing.

Nationality is not the same as ethnicity.

Ethnically, some 99% percent of Americans are nit American.