2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
When I first saw P/C's FD, I was genuinely ecstatic: so loved, loved the program that I watched it over and over again (was crazy!). Now, I don't know what to think_ beautiful 'but' (?!).... I watched all the other programs _ liked the Russian's FD but too somber. H/D's _ didn't particularly like the choreography. Loved C/B's (Penny and Nick) - very well constructed program but do they have the intensity and power that the program requires? ... Hmmm, remains to be seen (the program suits the American C/B better). V/M's program suits them to a T but there's something missing, i can't qualify what it is though the program is great even very competitive. V/M or P/C winning Gold is not set in stone yet despite their scores.

Not to denigrate P/C's Moonlight Sonata but when it comes to that music, the program that comes to mind is G&G's Moonlight Sonata in 1994. Despite Sergei's mistake, the program was beautiful. Zueva had choreographed a truly iconic program. I wonder what she could do with that music in an Ice Dance format. What I like about Zueva's work is her ability to blend the technical aspect with the artistic and keep it cohesive, compelling, coherent, and eloquent. I haven't seen Shibs' FD ... and C/B's so I'll refrain from making predictions. Christopher Dean choreographed their program and I had seen his show numbers for this music which although not tailored for an Olympic competition were beautiful. He knows what an Olympic program requires having competed twice in that arena in 1980 and 1994 (i couldn't believe they lost) so I am eagerly waiting what he has done for C/B's 'Imagine' FD.

G and G's moonlight sonata is one of my happy skating places. *sigh*
I really liked C/B's FD and short dance (it's probably my favourite FD so far) but I worry that after a year off they won't get the kind of marks they need to contend. I'm hoping maybe for a European medal for them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
How have the US Teams looked so far? I love the Shibs but, I kind of have a "thing" for Chock and Bates. Is there a chance the US will Medal at the games?

Has anyone seen the Shibs or Chock and Bates yet? I for one hate imagine so...

I think the U.S will get the bronze.. I don't know which team it will be though. But I'm ready to be wrong. (and as much as I'm rooting for China or Japan to take the team bronze I think it will go to the U.S.)

Roast Toast

Medalist
I'd say never underestimate the top Russian ice dance team in the olympic season. Yes, B/S being top 3 in the free dance at Worlds was a special circumstance due to how many other top teams struggled but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a sign of the scoring to come.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I'd say never underestimate the top Russian ice dance team in the olympic season. Yes, B/S being top 3 in the free dance at Worlds was a special circumstance due to how many other top teams struggled but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was a sign of the scoring to come.

If their SD wasn't so, so so (words fail me), I'd say you were right. But who knows lightening could strike twice with almost everyone having a costly mistake and giving them the bronze? But I doubt that..

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
This year I'm rooting for Cappellini/Lanotte (it's the Italian in me) and the Shibs! Both teams have a very distinct style and manage to connect with me through their programs!

gmyers

Record Breaker
SO sad russia has no chance. Total collapse of greatest program of all time! If only b/s has changed to dubreil or North Americans coaches after their return from injury.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
What a dreadful perspective!
The title of Olympic Champion is for sure not and will never be a "long service award".
Some people (not you) are probably trying to promote this kind of idea.
That would be really terrible

Such title must be deserved in the Olympic rink on the D-Day.

NOT what I meant! I want them to earn it and skate the most dazzling skate of their lives!

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
This year I'm rooting for Cappellini/Lanotte (it's the Italian in me) and the Shibs! Both teams have a very distinct style and manage to connect with me through their programs!

I love Italians too but I think their chances of making an impact at the Olympic Games are slim to none. Judges are maybe "over" with them too, IMO some fresher FD would help them. Sure other teams also don't experiment too much esp. in season like this, play to their strenghts but they still all in all want to show something new for me. I am yet to watch their ''La vita e bella'' FD but it foreshadows the same old. There are some technically stronger teams too.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
Sure other teams also don't experiment too much esp. in season like this, play to their strenghts but they still all in all want to show something new for me.

Like... Which ones?
With Weapo and V/M playing the-best-of cd, Shibs doing Coldplay, P/C the same lirycal modern style, B/S their theatrical stories, G/P going for something out of mainstream (dunno what exactly cause they hardly had any choreo in the first outing but the plans are ambitious as always)...
Stepanova/Bukin showed something new, no diggity.

This being said, we have seen quite a few interesting dances so far. Weapo's Spartacus might not be very original but I'm quite sure they are able to skate it well and make it impressive. V/M's Moulin Rouge is intricate and appealing, I love the program design of G/P, cinema noir is such a wonderful theme. B/S' FD is elegant and may well turn into a highly emotional performance. Penny and Nick's free is kinda old fashioned but in a surprisingly good way. Plus, I'm all for Vika and Nik having the breakthrough that they are waiting for (that I am waiting for, too).

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Has anyone seen the Shibs or Chock and Bates yet? I for one hate imagine so...

I think the U.S will get the bronze.. I don't know which team it will be though. But I'm ready to be wrong. (and as much as I'm rooting for China or Japan to take the team bronze I think it will go to the U.S.)

Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club’s Instagram provided a small clip of the end of the Shibs’ SD:

https://instagram.com/p/BaEv-RqAqMr/

Thanks to Chapis for finding this.

chameleon

On the Ice
How have the US Teams looked so far? I love the Shibs but, I kind of have a "thing" for Chock and Bates. Is there a chance the US will Medal at the games?

No one(outside of officials, training mates, etc.) has seen Chock/Bates, they'll debut at Cup of China. They must at least be in decent shape, they were the ice dance team selected for the Demo at the Team USA Media Summit.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Gillies & Poirier's free dance is reminiscent of an early program by Canadian greats Tracy Wilson & Robert McCall - a film noir piece from the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics - https://youtu.be/t99j7r-DGp0

Diok

Rinkside
After watching the SD's of this season mulitple times Tessa and Scott SD is divine. So fast, intricate and they have so much charisma.
For me both FD's of both top teams need re-working a bit to be great. Should be fun to watch. I love both teams but i tend to lean towards Tessa and Scott more as they seem to have the it factor and r much more versatile. U can't stop looking at them.

bramweld

Record Breaker
After watching the SD's of this season mulitple times Tessa and Scott SD is divine. So fast, intricate and they have so much charisma.
For me both FD's of both top teams need re-working a bit to be great. Should be fun to watch. I love both teams but i tend to lean towards Tessa and Scott more as they seem to have the it factor and r much more versatile. U can't stop looking at them.

Tessa and Scott are just beyond words this year. Exceptional. I believe they are only getting started!!

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
G and G's moonlight sonata is one of my happy skating places. *sigh*
I really liked C/B's FD and short dance (it's probably my favourite FD so far) but I worry that after a year off they won't get the kind of marks they need to contend. I'm hoping maybe for a European medal for them.

There's only a small chance of Euro medal for them after P/C B/S C/L. There's also S/B and G/F.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
I think Gillies & Poirier's free dance is reminiscent of an early program by Canadian greats Tracy Wilson & Robert McCall - a film noir piece from the 1984 Sarajevo Olympics - https://youtu.be/t99j7r-DGp0

Film noir is a GORGEOUS theme for a program. I don't know what to think about the choreo yet but I wholeheartedly love the idea.
Sorry, as a cinephile I'm just so excited :D

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand