2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
With what we saw from the Shibs yesterday, I am almost certain the ID podium will be V/M, P/C and Shibs. I don't even think the medal order will be known until the day. Provided of course their FD is at the very least equal to the SD.

Astrid56

Final Flight
With what we saw from the Shibs yesterday, I am almost certain the ID podium will be V/M, P/C and Shibs. I don't even think the medal order will be known until the day. Provided of course their FD is at the very least equal to the SD.

We haven't seen all the FDs. After Cup of China, we will see who will quite possibly make it to the Olympic podium. Despite the lackluster performance of Chock and Bates last year, we can't totally dismiss them as 'has-beens'. Their music choice for their FD suits their style of skating. As they say "the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings".

bramweld

Record Breaker
We haven't seen all the FDs. After Cup of China, we will see who will quite possibly make it to the Olympic podium. Despite the lackluster performance of Chock and Bates last year, we can't totally dismiss them as 'has-beens'. Their music choice for their FD suits their style of skating. As they say "the opera ain't over till the fat lady sings".

Well after what the Shibs presented for a FD today, I agree with you wholeheartedly. That dance couldn't be more of a tired retread if they tried harder. Is this what COP has done to our competitors? Sort of sad actually.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Well after what the Shibs presented for a FD today, I agree with you wholeheartedly. That dance couldn't be more of a tired retread if they tried harder. Is this what COP has done to our competitors? Sort of sad actually.

After seeing P/C's FD several times, and the other teams' FDs namely those of the other top teams_ B/S, the Shibs, W/P, I am disappointed. The 2014 Sochi's FD were more varied ... exciting but the top contenders were very obvious _ we knew the fight for Gold was just between D/W and V/M. Now, it looks like V/M would win it almost handily (barring Scott's tendency to fuddle his twizzles). Honestly, I didn't like their (V/M) FD that much at the beginning but it grew on me whereas P/C's kinda slips ... I guess it reminds me so much of their previous dances. The Shib's FD is as you put it "a tired retread" of their last 2 dances. Even the music of these teams are starting to sound 'meh' .... :rolleye:

Roast Toast

Medalist
So, what do we think re: Piper/Paul? Sacrificed at the altar of Russian ice dance or genuinely on a downward trend? I have to say I'm a little confused, I'm enjoying them more every season and they seem to do worse every season. Last year they barely missed the GPF, seems like this year they won't even cut it close. What's not working?

bramweld

Record Breaker
So, what do we think re: Piper/Paul? Sacrificed at the altar of Russian ice dance or genuinely on a downward trend? I have to say I'm a little confused, I'm enjoying them more every season and they seem to do worse every season. Last year they barely missed the GPF, seems like this year they won't even cut it close. What's not working?

I like them myself and I really liked their programs last season. But this season Paul seems really uncomfortable with the S/D also they did a much better version of this theme when they did that Hitchcock program. Also they might do well with different coaches, maybe Ms. Lane has taken them as far as she can.

EDIT: But looking on their program again, it hurts me how the Russian hosing machine hurt them. I was really sad and frustrated for Piper and Paul.

Astrid56

Final Flight

Too 'outside the box', look! everyone is anxious to skate like P/C _ follow their style and G/P does the opposite. Judges are people who tend to be fixated on certain styles hence the tendency to kind of overlook what's avant-garde ... experimental, out of the norm, etc.

sross43

Rinkside
I actually liked the Shibs' new FD. I just think they missed an opportunity for some good story-telling there. She could have been portrayed more as the girl in the song, starting out really optimistic and then becoming more disillusioned. He could be the older brother encouraging her and trying to help her find joy again. It was nice to see that the lifts had increased in complexity, though, I felt like they could've been more into their edges at the beginning. I do feel for the Shibs. The thing that most partners use to bring their performace emotional depth and intrigue (i.e. sex) is out for them since this isn't a Game of Thrones episode. They could've gone outside the box more, but I like what they have.

tinlizzie

Final Flight
Piper&Paul's programs give me joy every season. I LOVE their programs and their execution this season and I think they should have been on the podium at Rostelecom. They performed at a higher level than both the Russian teams and I dare say I love their programs more than the Shibs.

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker

I'm not a great fan of both dances and personally find SD amusing yet kinda too weird, FD nice on paper but unpolished. However, I love Piper and Paul :) can't wait too see how the dances will develop in the future. As I said, I'm a big big fan of the noir theme.
I can live with the placements but the gap between S/B and them is pretty much preposterous.

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm not a great fan of both dances and personally find SD amusing yet kinda too weird, FD nice on paper but unpolished. However, I love Piper and Paul :) can't wait too see how the dances will develop in the future. As I said, I'm a big big fan of the noir theme.
I can live with the placements but the gap between S/B and them is pretty much preposterous.

Maybe the judges were afraid TAT would rag too much on her broadcast if they didn't favor her favorites S/B!!

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Maybe the judges were afraid TAT would rag too much on her broadcast if they didn't favor her favorites S/B!!

TAT loves Piper and Paul too :D Well not to the extent she loves S/B obviously :D Actually the Russian commentators were discussing during the SD how the audience appreciated P&P's dance and you can't trick the audience but also mentioned that honestly they [the commentators] liked S/B's dance better, and they always praise P&P to no end for their originality and character immersion and their talented coach Juris Razgulajevs, etc etc, so while I just love the Gopher mambo awesome-sleeves-on-Paul dance, I am starting to think maybe it's not that accessible or something. Or the audience doesn't feel it for some reason.

icetigger

On the Ice
So, what do we think re: Piper/Paul? Sacrificed at the altar of Russian ice dance or genuinely on a downward trend?

Both. Whatever they think that free skate programme communicates, it just doesn't. When they do the thing they do at the end- as if they think so sort of film noir theme was communicated throughout the piece- it just looks delusional. They need to bring someone else in. But I also think that antagonistic choreography is hard to choreograph anyway with the elements as they are.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
after seeing Maia and Alex at Rostelecom, I have to say that I am amazed and charmed beyond imagination with their SD - the thought and concept are visible, but they are not overshadowing the easiness and lightness of joy carried by this dance. Prominent, yet subtle in expression Latin ballroom dance references - just on point to give the 'right guess' and to see them actually behind it. The music is just fantastic - very smart from them to stay in one musical genre and convention, but play with rhythms inside this cohesive aesthetic of Perez Prado. Partial step sequence is a gem already - fantastic framing of the dance, detailing in arm movement, edge work and flow going so sublime with cha-cha rhythm. The whole picture was a breezy variation of Latin joy, a celebration of a good music and having fun out there - for me, they really captured the sense of Latin music, this 'authentic'-like side of it, they played with it, played with rhythms AND done it in such natural, effortless way. It was just infectious - the high energy of the performance, vibrancy of their costumes (so perfect in motion), they created a very universal moment of joy, appealing and engaging for a lot of people. That's a great strength - and an asset of a program for me.