2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance | Page 5 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Season: Ice Dance

bramweld

Record Breaker
after seeing Maia and Alex at Rostelecom, I have to say that I am amazed and charmed beyond imagination with their SD - the thought and concept are visible, but they are not overshadowing the easiness and lightness of joy carried by this dance. Prominent, yet subtle in expression Latin ballroom dance references - just on point to give the 'right guess' and to see them actually behind it. The music is just fantastic - very smart from them to stay in one musical genre and convention, but play with rhythms inside this cohesive aesthetic of Perez Prado. Partial step sequence is a gem already - fantastic framing of the dance, detailing in arm movement, edge work and flow going so sublime with cha-cha rhythm. The whole picture was a breezy variation of Latin joy, a celebration of a good music and having fun out there - for me, they really captured the sense of Latin music, this 'authentic'-like side of it, they played with it, played with rhythms AND done it in such natural, effortless way. It was just infectious - the high energy of the performance, vibrancy of their costumes (so perfect in motion), they created a very universal moment of joy, appealing and engaging for a lot of people. That's a great strength - and an asset of a program for me.

If only the FD was equally inspired. I don't think they will hold on to the bronze with that vehicle. If they do I'd be surprised.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I'm not sure why the hate on the Shibs free (which I find lovely), when P/C's (who I also love) freedances are utterly indistinguishable for me.

The Shibs are smart and they've crafted a really lovely program. So have a lot of other teams. I think they all have room to grow which is what you want to say at this point in the season.

beki

Medalist
I think the Shibs' FD is good and new viewers will like it. For those of us who have been following the whole cycle, it lacks a little bit of spark.

Barb

Record Breaker
I think that by the time of the Olympics, the FD will be really striking. They have never looked so prepared so early in the season and Alex S. said: we will continue to develop and build onto it so that it’s a really strong program in time for the Olympic Games.

matcha

Medalist
I think that by the time of the Olympics, the FD will be really striking. They have never looked so prepared so early in the season and Alex S. said: we will continue to develop and build onto it so that it’s a really strong program in time for the Olympic Games.

100%. I don't know why everyone thinks this is the finished product. Compare the first performance of "Fix You" to their last; Evolution too. Whenever they had a new outing, their programs grew.

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
I'm not sure why the hate on the Shibs free (which I find lovely), when P/C's (who I also love) freedances are utterly indistinguishable for me.

The Shibs are smart and they've crafted a really lovely program. So have a lot of other teams. I think they all have room to grow which is what you want to say at this point in the season.

The mass downvotes on Shib sibs FS video on YT are truely unwanted and disgraceful.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
If only the FD was equally inspired. I don't think they will hold on to the bronze with that vehicle. If they do I'd be surprised.

again, matter of perspective for me (like with everything basically involving personal opinions) - depends on what you are understanding behind term 'equally inspired'. For me, both programs actually are definitely on 'inspired' side based on how personally involved Maia and Alex were in the whole creative process for both vehicles. There is an idea and picture visible behind both programs, and the picture is the most personal I've ever seen them doing. Saying that, I understand the impression/comparison between SD and FD - SD in its nature was usually the forte of the Shibutanis and a dance they always excelled for me even very early in the season; this season, there is no exception AND additionally there is a brilliant concept and packaging backing already sublime and masterful execution of it. For me, paradoxically, they've taken an equal risk to those teams selecting non-standard Latin music/choosing to experiment with the rhythms/theme due to the choice of Perez Prado pieces only and playing on more 'colourful'/'joyous' and festive aesthetic of Latin music, which can veer so easily into bad cliché and tackiness galore area.

The FD is definitely 'a long distance shot' in terms of making the rightful impression and impact. There will be a process of growing it and making it as balanced as possible between personal and universal ingredients throughout the season, like basically in case of all top teams. I am glad that they are continuing to do 'themselves' and stick to the music, way of expression they feel comfortable with. Reading Maia's blog post and listening to some interviews with them talking about this season's programs, I bear in mind that the primary goal is to fulfilling their dream in that program on many levels, competitive and personal ones; the conviction in them and dedication shown to do such program is a start point - and probably the greatest, most 'inspiring' thing in that for me is the fact that they will shape this program mostly by themselves, visually and expression-like due to this personal idea behind it. I think that at the end of it all, what matters is they will make people 'inspired' or make them feel something at all by this FD, not necessarily to make the sole vehicle to label as 'inspired' with no emotion given out.

/apologies if there is some incoherence, but I have cold since yesterday:(

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

P/C make much more haunting pictures / body positions in their dances whenever you look at (basically every 10-20 second of dance always consists such) even if they repeat themselves too on some basic or more detailed level. Their transitions are difficult (more intricate than Shibs ones) but they make it look deceptively easy. And that heavenly floating of them ... I also prefer their music 8/10 times.

bramweld

Record Breaker
P/C make much more haunting pictures / body positions in their dances whenever you look at (10-20 second of dance always consists such) even if they repeat themselves too on some basic or more detailed level. And that heavenly floating of them ... I also prefer their music 8/10 times.

This. All others just pale in comparison, hence my comments.

Diok

Rinkside
A lot of people are saying Tessa and Scott might come off as stale with using the same 2 lifts in their Free dance. Im worried about this too. Their short is exceptional and their FD's has great potential if it wasnt for the same lifts from a team that have been very original in the past and versatile. Doesn't their coaches and team see this?????🤔🙄
Hope im wrong.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
Things that may come off as stale to longtime fans and possibly judges have a way of looking really exciting and refreshing by the time the Olympics roll around and new audiences are seeing it for the first time. If a team/skater is able to generate the same excitement to them as they did with those moves when they first debuted it, then the atmosphere may sway the judges to not care that they've seen it before. Many teams repeat things for the Olympics. Look at Anissina/Peizerat's answer to their Martin Luther King FD. By SLC, they added old highlight moves and it was certainly fresh for my eyes as I wasn't as familiar with ice dance at the time. Conversely, it was said that T/D's 1994 FD was flat at Europeans even though they won that Championship (I think they came second in the FD there). So they decided to add a bunch of old, crowd-friendly moves and though they lost many casual viewers to this day think they were robbed. They certainly had a much bigger ovation than they did at Euros when the first 2/3 of their dance wasn't filled with old T/D highlight moves.

peepsquick

Final Flight
A lot of people are saying Tessa and Scott might come off as stale with using the same 2 lifts in their Free dance. Im worried about this too. Their short is exceptional and their FD's has great potential if it wasnt for the same lifts from a team that have been very original in the past and versatile. Doesn't tgeir coaches and team see this?????🤔🙄
Hope im wrong.

I don't think you need to worry about that. Their lifts are great, even though they are "recycled". All the teams recycle their moves, especially during an Olympic season. They are showing us the evolution of their work. It is very visible for P/C and I would not begrudge V/M "old " lifts. They are spectacular and a trademark for them. I am not worried about the quality of V/M's work. It is there, even if they are not one's favorite team. They are the most experienced team of all, having competed under the old system. They will do just fine.

nocturnalis

Medalist
A lot of people are saying Tessa and Scott might come off as stale with using the same 2 lifts in their Free dance. Im worried about this too. Their short is exceptional and their FD's has great potential if it wasnt for the same lifts from a team that have been very original in the past and versatile. Doesn't their coaches and team see this?????🤔🙄
Hope im wrong.

V/M maybe reusing lifts, but so are most other couples. V/M are always judged harsher than everyone else.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Hope im wrong.

As long as it is executed correctly, it SHOULD be fine, no ? If single skaters use the same programs, Dancers can 'recycle' a couple of lifts. Judges are not supposed to see previous work. But I agree very much with VIETgrlTerifa, it has to feel fresh, it's the key. I could see that two of V/M's favourite programs for the fans is Carmen and Prince, you might have watched it a hundred times. So in the MR FD, for the first outing you might have said : "oh, the same lifts". Well it wasn't EXACTLY the same with the Prince one (arms variation) and the Carmen one (very different ending).

I think they'll definitely keep the Carmen one, because it's REALLY impressive, even if you feel like it is 'recycled', the backflip is great, it creates a 'wow' moment for the crowd. We'll see for the other. This weekend, I think we are going to see a different outing. I personally didn't rewatched their SD/FD from ACI because I want to have a brand new eye for SC (the camera work wasn't great... I didn't rewatch WeaPo's programs too because of that). I don't know if you watched their interview after the FD, but it wasn't what they wanted for their performance. A few changes will be done, but I wouldn't worry about that : Marie-France definitely knows how to work those tiny details and give life to a choreo without anyone noticing it. (And maybe new dresses !!)

bramweld

Record Breaker
The lifts are similar but they are done beautifully, so I really wouldn't worry if I were a V/M fan really, ehem.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
As long as it is executed correctly, it SHOULD be fine, no ? If single skaters use the same programs, Dancers can 'recycle' a couple of lifts. Judges are not supposed to see previous work. But I agree very much with VIETgrlTerifa, it has to feel fresh, it's the key. I could see that two of V/M's favourite programs for the fans is Carmen and Prince, you might have watched it a hundred times. So in the MR FD, for the first outing you might have said : "oh, the same lifts". Well it wasn't EXACTLY the same with the Prince one (arms variation) and the Carmen one (very different ending).

I think they'll definitely keep the Carmen one, because it's REALLY impressive, even if you feel like it is 'recycled', the backflip is great, it creates a 'wow' moment for the crowd. We'll see for the other. This weekend, I think we are going to see a different outing. I personally didn't rewatched their SD/FD from ACI because I want to have a brand new eye for SC (the camera work wasn't great... I didn't rewatch WeaPo's programs too because of that). I don't know if you watched their interview after the FD, but it wasn't what they wanted for their performance. A few changes will be done, but I wouldn't worry about that : Marie-France definitely knows how to work those tiny details and give life to a choreo without anyone noticing it. (And maybe new dresses !!)

I'd be surprised if she ends the season in the same outfit she started in. Last season she had one change for each program, and Scott had a different top at Worlds for the SD. And last Olympic season she didn't even use the same dresses for the team and the individual (and Scott two FD costumes too). In fact, they went a little crazy with the costume changes that season:
- Sochi individual SD (glittery black with silver art deco style bodice, Scott in a white dress shirt with black suspenders and bowtie)
- Sochi team SD (glittery black with a v-neck)
- Nationals SD (black dress with white accents, fuchsia under the skirt, and Scott in a black shirt with white)
- GPF SD (same dress as for the team event, Scott in a grey shirt with black suspenders and bowtie)
- TdF SD (same as GPF)
- SC SD (same as GPF)
- Finlandia SD (dove grey dress, Scott in light blue dress shirt, gold tie, black vest)

That's five different SD dresses for Tessa, four outfits for Scott and five different combinations.

- Sochi individual FD (pale pink dress with crystals, Scott in navy blue)
- Sochi team FD (red dress with gold accents, Scott in black with red on the sleeves)
- Nationals FD (floaty white dress with silver sparkly top part, Scott same as Sochi individual)
- GPF FD (pale pink dress with flower details, Scott in a dark red shirt)
- TdF FD (emerald green dress, Scott in a white shirt)
- SC FD (same as GPF)
- Finlandia FD (pale blue dress, Scott in a white shirt)

So that's six FD dresses for Tessa and again four outfits for Scott and six different combinations.

That was super off topic, but very fun.

Rossig

On the Ice
So they decided to add a bunch of old, crowd-friendly moves and though they lost many casual viewers to this day think they were robbed.

Don't want to start the discussion about it again, but I can assure you, not just casual fans ...