2018 Bavarian Open | Page 2 | Golden Skate

2018 Bavarian Open

larat

On the Ice
Good job US Ad. Novice teams. It is interesting though how much lower technical scores are comparing to US Nationals.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, two of my favourite Swiss girls withdrew, that's a shame. I hope they're okay. But well done Yoonmi Lehmann, sixth in the short program!

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh dear, Yoonmi had to WD from the free skate! Fingers crossed she's not injured and will be able to go to Challenge Cup in February (and the Yasmine and Noemie will be there too). But well done Lukas Britschgi placing second in the Senior men's short.

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
Oh dear, Yoonmi had to WD from the free skate! Fingers crossed she's not injured and will be able to go to Challenge Cup in February (and the Yasmine and Noemie will be there too). But well done Lukas Britschgi placing second in the Senior men's short.

She had a hard fall during the free and stopped skating. Hope she didn't hit her head.

Country
Russia
Senior Ladies - 11th and 12th at nationals Japanese Ladies won in Germany top German Lady without any problems. When will we see strong European Ladies?

berry8

Final Flight
Senior Ladies - 11th and 12th at nationals Japanese Ladies won in Germany top German Lady without any problems. When will we see strong European Ladies?
I am also curious about this :)
The only promising European (non Russian) junior ladies are: Arkhipova, Sula Sofia, Lucrezia Beccari, Selma Ihr...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Oh, well done Lukas, second place overall! And Adam Siao Him Fa in in second place for France after the Junior Men's short program, with Nurullah Sahaka in sixth. Excellent work. :)

The Junior Ladies' field keeps getting eaten away, though: now down from 38 to 32! Is there a flu going around? (Or has Amelia Jackson just sensibly decided that trying to do this and Mentor Torun Cup at basically the same time is not the smartest choice...)

berry8

Final Flight
I have just checked the protocols.. The level of the junior competition is quite high... A few junior girls (7) have landed a triple triple combo in the SP and Several junior men have attempted the 3a!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
No US Junior Dance teams, a bit strange choice for Novice Dance

Wolfkostin & Zhao and Tkachenko & Kiliakov are attending Mentor Torun Cup. Not sure why Buckley & Chen are not assigned anywhere, but I would guess either she may be above the age limit for Advanced Novice or his family is focused on getting to Korea to watch his sister at the Olympics.

Good job US Ad. Novice teams. It is interesting though how much lower technical scores are comparing to US Nationals.

This could just be international vs. national scoring; but also the compulsory dances in Advanced Novice are different than the compulsory dances for U.S. novice events. So we can't really compare scores from that half of the event.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Whoa, well done Adam! Second place in junior men's with three quad attempts (and three falls, but you can't have everything)! That's brave.

Pandicorn

On the Ice
Country
Germany
I´m back again from my trip to Oberstdorf and my short summary of the event.

Senior Men: I really liked Gabriel Folkesson from Sweden, never heard of this guy, but sadly he still pops a lot. Virtanen wasn´t as good as at the European, but he was the only one with a quad-jump. The winner Maurizio Zandron and also Britschgi were very good. Hope to see more of them in the future. And of course Fabians Biellmann-Spin was just amazing!
Senior Ladies: As expected the japanese ladies won well-deserved. Nathalie just made too many mistakes and I would have placed her behind Leccardi (in live I haven´t seen the underrotations...).

Junior Men: I haven´t expected to see so many 3A. I´ve counted and it were more than at the seniors in the SP. Again the Japanese have won. Kushida almost had a perfect LP and was very happy in the K&C and cheered for the little Sato during his skate. :) Adam Siao Him Fa tried 3 quads, but only landed one, but was still enough to hold the third place. The younger Majorov was very entertaining and skated to Pirates of the Caribbean.
Junior Ladies: I´ve only seen the SP and of course the two japanese girls are leading. :biggrin: Besides I liked Selma Ihr and Ann-Christin Marold, one of the few european junior talents. Mazzara surprised me with a 3T+3T combination but sadly fell on both single jumps.

I don´t understand much of Ice dance, but for me the best pair were Schwendinger/Wunderlich with a very unusual free dance.

And I think my biggest highlight was the little Kao Miura at Advanced novice boys. He already has really good speed and is very entertaining and won with almost 30 points more than Calderari.

A real surprise was the Coach of the french junior man here. I was sitting in front of some french guys and during the last junior men SP came a young man smiling up to the group behind me. I thought "He looks like Brian Joubert. Wait, it IS Brian Joubert! :eek:" :biggrin: Then I remembered that he is now also coaching. Even Aljona Savchenko walking by looked surprised to see him here. :laugh:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
can someone explain why a couple of the advanced novice girls got 0.5pt in deduction? I didn't think that was possible...

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
can someone explain why a couple of the advanced novice girls got 0.5pt in deduction? I didn't think that was possible...

IIRC at Advanced Novice level, falls are given a 0.50 deduction not a 1.00. The full deduction kicks in at Juniors.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
IIRC at Advanced Novice level, falls are given a 0.50 deduction not a 1.00. The full deduction kicks in at Juniors.

It's so nice of them to do this. But then they also don't give out level 4 elements. :(