2018 Challenge Cup | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2018 Challenge Cup

sakurano

Final Flight
I don't think so. Her tech was 38 so no UR or e. It was the PCs that were pretty low and resulted in the overall low score.

the PJ are the PCS? yet she plays the music well, she has good transision and choreography is good enough, it's like Satoko Miyahara at the Olympics but what can we do? , without being naughty I do not pay any more attention to this note because it does not reflect the reality and without wanting to maintain a counterpoint about the support of the federation or high score thanks to the reputation, but well remember that it made a good performance and wish him the best for the LP

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
One judge gave Wakaba a 6.5 in interpretation. I mean, he/she scored in general as if they had a really sad life, but... I give up :gaah:

sakurano

Final Flight
The TES looks a bit low but not low enough for there to be es or URs.

It's just that her PCS is like 5-6 points too low.

And please, it's not that strictly judged a competition. Take a look at some of the names that are within 5 points of her in PCS - That shouldn't be the case at all.

Of course, a local, meaningless competition that she will probably win anyway but... it's a trend and I'm not a fan of it.

Merci pour l'information

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
Remember when Wakaba's PCS was higher than Alina's PCS this season at Lombardia? Or even when she was less than a point off of Alina's FS PCS at Cup of China? Poor girl can't catch a break. :(

Well I'm hoping that they're just underscoring everyone at the competition, but I still feel like this might negatively affect her confidence going into Worlds.

Edit: LOL judge 3 giving her 6.50s. Kind of him.

Does someone wanna just tell her to her face...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
I very much enjoyed her skating, and admittedly did not realise at first that she had scored so low PCS wise. Compared to the rest of the field she was way above them, and so was her score. Her relatively low pcs is probably because of the rest being so bad that the judges got surprised....and to be honest - despite it being a bit unfair to Wakaba - I found it relatively refreshing to see PCS not scored so ridiculously high as it was at the Olympics!

beki

Medalist
Just checked the Olympic SP and she scored in the vicinity of Mirai and Dabin, and below Kaori, Gabby, Karen Chen and Sotskova. Make of that what you will. I find it inaccurate.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Just checked the Olympic SP and she scored in the vicinity of Mirai and Dabin, and below Kaori, Gabby, Karen Chen and Sotskova. Make of that what you will. I find it inaccurate.

You are right. Exactly my point, except that I found many ladies at the olympics overscored....I suspect the judges here hadn't ever seen such a good skater (she really was a big cut above the rest of the field). And she did get the highest scores (even if they were too low). I actually felt more sorry for Marin Honda who skated as if it was a trial to be there at all - and still got higher marks on PCS than many others. Deservedly so, but what a pity that she didn't even attempt her first jumps (I won't go into the discussion about attempts or not). I saw her making ready, and then she skated on. Really sad to see.

beki

Medalist
But if the others are overscored, she needs to be equally overscored, or it means she is being underscored. That is the kind of mess skating is in today. I don’t want Wakaba to be the sacrifice.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
But if the others are overscored, she needs to be equally overscored, or it means she is being underscored. That is the kind of mess skating is in today. I don’t want Wakaba to be the sacrifice.

Yeah.... I'd love for nothing more then the scores in general to just come down to earth again. We have many talented ladies, but the judges scoring everything up into the stratosphere will just lead to them running out of points. Not like an 8 was an insult. And normally I might agree that it's nice to see a competition with stricter scores - but the problem is that with Wakaba this is the norm. Remember that clean <66 SP in Helsinki? CoC this season? How she was nearly last in the GPF SP if not for half a point? That is why this is scary. Because I don't need to try hard to see a clean Wakaba be scored a 69+ and put behind others with step-outs, pops, carrots, falls still being 70+ in Milan.

karakaka

Rinkside
There needs to be consistency in judging from event to event. Wakaba's PCS was 30 (everything in the 7s), and that's not reflective of what she put out there -- a clean and engaging performance from one of the top 10 senior ladies in the world (I don't think that can be argued).

Mirai got 30.24 PCS for her Rostelecom Cup SP, a disaster of a program with 2 URs, 1 downgrade and 2 falls -- glaring, visible errors. Karen's PCS was 30.93 in her Skate America SP, with 1 UR, 1 downgrade and 1 fall. Maria's PCS was 33.39 at the Olympics, with a UR and a fall.

In terms of components, I'm not convinced any of these ladies should beat a clean Wakaba even when they perform their best, let alone when they make visible errors. And if you want to argue that you can't compare event to event, then it's a flaw of the system and needs to be fixed, because judging should not be that subjective.

Guys, I'm just really sad for her. Wakaba's SP at Worlds last year was the revelation of the event for me. And then that clean performance was rewarded with 29.07 in PCS. Istg if that happens again this year...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands

Nor do I. It's just that there's a different judges panel here than at the Olympics....where many skaters were overscored. Here, they seem to be stricter on the pcs values at least. That applied to all, including Wakaba. Who still - deservedly - won the SP.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Nor do I. It's just that there's a different judges panel here than at the Olympics....where many skaters were overscored. Here, they seem to be stricter on the pcs values at least. That applied to all, including Wakaba. Who still - deservedly - won the SP.

The thing is, if the Worlds panel takes a look at her protocols and goes "Oh, she scored under 31 PCS in a local competition with a clean skate, I guess that's about where she should be expected to end up" that can cause trouble even if, in theory, the scoring of different events shouldn't matter. But it always does.

Hamonrsa

On the Ice
Yaay clean! Still don't get why she keeps insisting on the flip in the SP. I prefer the old dress though, don't like the V cut of the new one, but I'm just happy to see her skate again :hap10:

Why is her PCS so low?? I hope it's just because it's a small competition

It looks like a Russian Flag dress. I wonder if it's a tribute of sorts to her friend Medvedeva. Or maybe I'm thinking too much :laugh:

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The thing is, if the Worlds panel takes a look at her protocols and goes "Oh, she scored under 31 PCS in a local competition with a clean skate, I guess that's about where she should be expected to end up" that can cause trouble even if, in theory, the scoring of different events shouldn't matter. But it always does.

That's just really sad. Nothing to add to that point. I suppose I'm still too naive on this one. I thought she scored okay in this particular event. Never gave a thought to the Worlds panel using it against her.

Miss Ice

Let the sky fall~
Medalist
Take a closer look at the colors of Wakaba's dress! Doesn't it remind you of something..? I find it hilarious :laugh:

But yeah I agree with everyone regarding the low PCS... that was a fabulous skate. What a star.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Well no security is not entirely true. I forgot my accreditation once and couldn't get in haha :laugh:
I’m sure. However, I could just walk around the premises with a large backpack and an even larger weekend bag and nobody so much as raised an eyebrow. I even asked at the entrance about my weekend bag and was told that there were no security measures and such. Hadn’t been to an event in a while where that’s the case. It was... refreshing. ;-)

thoakun

Final Flight
I hope Marin's bad skate is just a one-off thing. I've never seen her so slow and her stroking seems to get sloppier :palmf:.

sakurano

Final Flight
If the world judges put him down because of his score in the challenge cup, for me they will lack credibility because in theory they are supposed to judge what they see on the ice and not their preference. What time is the LP?