2018 Challenge Cup | Page 3 | Golden Skate

2018 Challenge Cup

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
I hope the skaters will be OK
They’ll be fine. Semi-covered speed skating rinks are not uncommon here. Skaters can deal with a bit of cold, they’re used to it. Heck, while I was freezing my behind off back then, they never seemed bothered at all. But it doesn’t really get that cold outside often anymore, we’ve not had any temperatures like that this winter yet.
And it’s rather protected from the wind and rain, too, so unless there just happens to be a westerstorm...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
There's a draft practice schedule on the competition web site now.
(It's a PDF file, at the end of the "downloads" section)

Looks like it's for the practice rink only?

I mean, the afternoon practices listed, must be in the practice rink... because there will be competitions in the main rink at those times. But there's no indication of whether any of the morning practices are in the main rink (or not)?

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
This was posted on the Challenge Cup's Facebork page, after someone asked "what is the best way to order tickets":

Challenge Cup The Hague said:
There will be a possibility to order on line soon, but tickets are also availible at the icerinck. We will publish the on line possibility as soon as we have the information.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Per a comment on the Facebook page, they hope to have the names of all entrants available by next week.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
A link for buying tickets online was added to the Challenge Cup web site.

5 euros for individual days, 10 euros for all event ("pass-partout")...

Doesn't work for me though, can't check out.

I might try again later. Or just buy at the rink when I get there.
It's nothing important (it's not going to sell out, and tickets don't have seat numbers)
But it is convenient to sort everything out in advance...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
It's nothing important (it's not going to sell out, and tickets don't have seat numbers)
But it is convenient to sort everything out in advance...
Convenient it may be, but if they add 10 euros transaction costs...! That's a bit steep considering the most expensive ticket only costs 10 euros. :eeking:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Convenient it may be, but if they add 10 euros transaction costs...! That's a bit steep considering the most expensive ticket only costs 10 euros. :eeking:
Oh? It says "Transaction costs: € 0,00" for me...

But then, process fails when I click "check out"... so I can't buy anyway. Is it because of foreign IP address?

Well, I wouldn't pay double, just for such a small convenience either...

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
The same happened to me, and I live in The Hague (in The Netherlands)! I think their system isn't up and running yet.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Oh? It says "Transaction costs: € 0,00" for me...
But then, process fails when I click "check out"... so I can't buy anyway. Is it because of foreign IP address?
It's probably just broken at the moment, I e-mailed a friendly reminder that it's not working...
Not entirely sure about the transaction costs, it's a bit weird. edit: now it says 10 euros, but when I select iDEAL it jumps to zero. Nice.

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Well, I got an e-mail saying it was workng, but the iDEAL payment was still broken, far as I can tell. I got the VISA to work, though.

Cue all three Japanese ladies withdrawing and me losing any and all interest. Still, for 10 euros, that's a risk I'm willing to take. ;-)

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Thanks for the updates everyone - I bought my pass-partout ticket just now, no problems this time.

Cue all three Japanese ladies withdrawing and me losing any and all interest. Still, for 10 euros, that's a risk I'm willing to take. ;-)
Haha! Slightly higher risk for me, since I've paid for flights now, non-refundable. But I'm sure there will be skaters worth the visit for me, even if all 3 senior Japanese ladies withdrew. It won't happen anyway :-D

And the worst that can happen is, I spend the whole weekend sightseeing. No bad thing, I've never been to the Netherlands before...

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
And the worst that can happen is, I spend the whole weekend sightseeing. No bad thing, I've never been to the Netherlands before...
Oh yeah, there's loads to see and do, and everything is really close by. :)
It's probably a good idea to look into getting an OV chipkaart, it'll be very convenient to get around, even if it's just in the Hague area getting to and from the ice rink.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Oh yeah, there's loads to see and do, and everything is really close by. :)
It's probably a good idea to look into getting an OV chipkaart, it'll be very convenient to get around, even if it's just in the Hague area getting to and from the ice rink.
Thanks - yes, I was planning to get OV chipkaart, I'll be taking the tram every day to the rink...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
According to this article, Nana Araki and Yuhana Yokoi will be competing in the Juniors at Challenge Cup!

I had been hoping Nana Araki would be there!
And it will be a nice bonus if Yuhana is coming too!

I'm a little surprised though - Yuhana has junior World's about a week later?
So will she really show up at Challenge Cup?

Also, Yuto Kishina and Taichiro Yamakuma, according to this article.

I am greedily still hoping that Sui Takeuchi and Koshiro Shimada will go too... :-D (And Kazuki Tomono and Sota Yamamoto too, even though it's unlikely given they are assigned to Coupe de Printemps)

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Really like those two Junior ladies!

Also rather curious to see who will represent the USA...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Really like those two Junior ladies!

Also rather curious to see who will represent the USA...
Me too, on both counts.

I am getting REALLY IMPATIENT to see the full list of entries now, for all countries! :-D

And there must still be many more Japanese entries. Yuhana is intriguing, because I'd assumed that any skaters going to Junior World's, would not be going to Challenge Cup as well. But if Yuhana is entered, then why not Rika Kihira as well?! Or Mako Yamashita?! :-D

PS.
No surprise, but here is confirmation that Niki Wories is planning to compete

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I poked around on a few (not all) of the national association websites and found these:

Finland's team:
Senior Men: Valtter Virtanen
Junior Ladies: Laura Karhunen, Linnea Ceder, Selma Midweek, Anni Skogberg (on standby)

Sweden's team:
Senior: Matilda Algotsson, Anita Östlund, Cassandra Johansson, Alexander Majorov
Junior: Smilla Szalkai, Jelizaveta Kopaca, Lisa Lager, Nikolaj Majorov, Natran Tzagai, Andreas Nordebäck,
Novice: Daniel Seidel, Casper Johansson, Oliver Praetorius

Australia's team:
Junior Ladies: Shania Sime, Lia Webb McDougall

USFSA website, competition is listed, but no entries shown so far.
Swiss website, couldn't find anything.
France/ffsg website, useless.
GB/NISA website, hopeless. Why am I not surprised?

Some interesting names there, especially Swedish senior team... and good ol' Doc Virtanen... :-D

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Swiss website, couldn't find anything.
France/ffsg website, useless.

The FFSG site is as useless as a hip-pocket in a man's singlet at the best of times, so I'm not surprised there. And the Swiss site tends to only announce championship teams in advance; everything else is after the fact. Most frustrating! Having said that, Yoonmi Lehmann's website states that she's going to the Challenge Cup, but that will depend on whether/how she was injured in that fall at Bavarian Open and whether she's cleared to skate again by the end of the month. There was some doubt as to whether she'd struck her head in the fall.

If I had to predict at the Swiss team it would be:

Senior Ladies: Yasmine Kimiko Yamada; Yoomni Lehmann or Shaline Ruegger.
Senior Men: Stephane Walker; Nicola Todeschini or Lukas Britschgi.
Senior Pairs: Ioulia Chtchetinina/Mikhail Akulov.
Junior Ladies: Noemie Bodenstein; Maia Mazzara; Anais Coraducci.
Junior Men: Nurullah Sahaka; Tomas Guerino Sabate.
Advanced Novice Boys: Noah Bodenstein.

I'm not sure if they have anyone on the national team to put forward in Advanced Novice girls; all of the girls in their Junior Ladies national team skate in Juniors at international level. But this is all just guesswork on my part!

And I still want to know if we're going to see Laurine Lecavelier here. She and Lea Serna would make a good ladies' team for France.