2018 Coupe de Printemps | Page 4 | Golden Skate

2018 Coupe de Printemps

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Mai's first 70+ score in a comp that won't count for PBs.... :palmf:
That was fantastic, Mai! I love her step sequence.

she looks a lot more comfortable, this was great!!! knowing how strong she is at LP she might win since scores are so close, sorry Kaori (you were awesome too!) :biggrin:

Plumededragon

Medalist
Why is there nothing up on the results page?
Apparently, they only do it after competitions end. But on the FB they put up the current standing and scores.
However, there’re only Junior Men and Ladies for now. I suppose Senior Ladies will come later tonight (hopefully).

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Does this competition count towards world standings?

For Kaori and Yuna, it's not going to make too much difference, as both of them already had another B-level competition very early on at the starting of the season. For Mai, it will help some more as Mai only had one CS competition before GP started.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Mai's PBs are from 2017 World Team Trophy where she scored 70+.

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
it’s 61 according to some on twitter. Well, that’s better lol

That's great! Not an SB, but breaking 60 has been a struggle for Laurine this year and I'm thrilled that she gave a beautiful clean skate with confident jumps and got into the 60s even with a 3-2 combo.

Plumededragon

Medalist
That's great! Not an SB, but breaking 60 has been a struggle for Laurine this year and I'm thrilled that she gave a beautiful clean skate with confident jumps and got into the 60s even with a 3-2 combo.
I can only hope she’ll be able to pull it off in the free. She’s very inconsistent, unfortunately, but maybe that will change. It would be a very nice thing before Worlds next week.
But overall I’m happy with how the French girls fought during SP. Of course, I don’t expect any of them to medal, but those current 4-5th places felt as a good as a podium finish to me lol! :laugh:

Harriet

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I can only hope she’ll be able to pull it off in the free. She’s very inconsistent, unfortunately, but maybe that will change. It would be a very nice thing before Worlds next week.

She's had a lot of injuries over the years, hasn't she? I remember she'd had a problem with her back just before Europeans and only got back into training a week beforehand.

The thing I noticed here that was different - I talked about this a bit in Laurine's fan fest thread too - was that on every single jump here, her axis was really strong and secure. That seems to have been her biggest problem since Worlds last year, that her axis would go wonky and that would affect her balance and landing, and I remember reading somewhere that she'd always been very much a 'natural' jumper, so when things started going wrong she didn't have the foundations she needed to analyse the problem and correct it. It's something she's been specifically working on with Kori and Rohene, I believe, but of course it takes time for things to get better. That particular improvement, especially as she felt secure enough on the 3Lz to add a tano, tells me that whatever they've been doing has started to click into place for her now. She's got no negative GOEs at all on her protocol, and everything was called fully rotated, which is awesome.

The FS will be more of a challenge, or course, but if she keeps showing the same strong jump axis it'll be a good sign that things are improving for her all round. And she shouldn't have any trouble making the free skate at worlds if she repeats this showing!

But overall I’m happy with how the French girls fought during SP. Of course, I don’t expect any of them to medal, but those current 4-5th places felt as a good as a podium finish to me lol! :laugh:

Sandra looks to have done a very nice job! I didn't realise until seeing the protocols that Lea Serna had withdrawn, though. It's a shame; I enjoyed what I saw of her skating at French Nationals.

Plumededragon

Medalist
She's had a lot of injuries over the years, hasn't she? I remember she'd had a problem with her back just before Europeans and only got back into training a week beforehand.

The thing I noticed here that was different - I talked about this a bit in Laurine's fan fest thread too - was that on every single jump here, her axis was really strong and secure. That seems to have been her biggest problem since Worlds last year, that her axis would go wonky and that would affect her balance and landing, and I remember reading somewhere that she'd always been very much a 'natural' jumper, so when things started going wrong she didn't have the foundations she needed to analyse the problem and correct it. It's something she's been specifically working on with Kori and Rohene, I believe, but of course it takes time for things to get better. That particular improvement, especially as she felt secure enough on the 3Lz to add a tano, tells me that whatever they've been doing has started to click into place for her now. She's got no negative GOEs at all on her protocol, and everything was called fully rotated, which is awesome.

The FS will be more of a challenge, or course, but if she keeps showing the same strong jump axis it'll be a good sign that things are improving for her all round. And she shouldn't have any trouble making the free skate at worlds if she repeats this showing!

Sandra looks to have done a very nice job! I didn't realise until seeing the protocols that Lea Serna had withdrawn, though. It's a shame; I enjoyed what I saw of her skating at French Nationals.
Yes, she did have her share of injuries (like Maé, though their injuries are different), because she has big jumps so when she hit them it’s impressive. I’m hoping her coaching change will be worth it. But of course, time is needed before it can really be fixed.

Yes, Sandra was not perfect but still solid. A pity for Lea. I’m not sure why she WD. I like her too, I saw her in one of my local rinks for a competition a few month ago, but even if it went badly she still won (but the ice was... ugh lol! This competition normally takes place in the other rink every year, but it was closed due to work maintenance).

Plumededragon

Medalist
Junior Ladies has just started, group 1 is warming up. Only 5 minutes behind schedule is not bad at all. :)
Order for passage: http://skating.lu/cdp2018/SEG008.HTM
It’s all in reverse order from SP for each event of the competition. Olga will go last, I look forward to her.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Solid Olga. A few mistakes and maybe less energy than yesterday, but it was more than enough to win (by almost 20 points I think!). She double fist-pumped at the end of her program. :)
1st place with 155.33

Plumededragon

Medalist
Goodness, that Russian kid costume is the worst I’ve seen in Men in a long time. Who thought it would be a good idea? Poor kid.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Music problem once again... :(
Wow that one lasted a long time. Kudos to the public for strongly supporting the skater, it’s never a funny situation.