Twins Hope to Revive British Ice Dancing | Golden Skate

Twins Hope to Revive British Ice Dancing

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Candice (Candi) and Phillipa (Pippa) Towler-Green, both 20, hope to renew British interest in ice dancing that has been on the wane since the retirement of Jayne Torvill and Christopher Dean.

More

Interesting article. Will Kerr and Kerr be their big rivals?

The first sentence of the article made it seem like the sisters were dancing together as a team. Is there a rule that says an ice dance team has to be a man and a woman? We could solve the problem of not enough men in the sport (like at the sock hops when I was in high school, where the boys were too shy to ask anyone to dance, so the girls danced with each other, LOL.)

Mathman

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I think there is another set of skating twins out there -- the Nylander sisters from Sweden. Thought they are single skaters -- they came in 5th and 6th at Courchevel.

IDLERACER

Medalist
How 'bout that? Like George Bush's daughters, we've got yet another set of twins that don't look alike at all. I'm tellin' ya, it was Robin and the late Maurice Gibb that started this whole business of twins that don't even look like they're related!

icenut84

Final Flight
Mathman said:
Interesting article. Will Kerr and Kerr be their big rivals?

The Kerrs are definitely big rivals, but they also have to contend with Humphreys & Baranov (who just started working with Natalia Dubova) and O'Connor & O'Dougherty (who just started working with Klimova & Ponomarenko). Those 3 teams will likely take the top 3 spots at Nationals, but I guess anything is possible. It's nice to read about more upcoming British skaters :)

Mrs Redboots

On the Ice
As far as I know, Humphreys and Baranov aren't competing this year. Pippa and Phil have just come home with a Bronze medal from the Nebelhorn trophy, the first British medal for many years (the Union Flag was, apparently, a bit dusty, but I've not seen such huge grins since my father landed his first salmon!) and are skating in Bratislava next week. I may be biased, but I would be very surprised if people don't watch them this year and think, "My goodness, but they've improved". Because they have. A LOT. Their Grease free dance is something really special....