How to lock my heel into back of new skates | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How to lock my heel into back of new skates

joonieskates

Rinkside
I'll replace my skates later if i have to. It just might have to be in a few months at least. we're not exactly rich so we don't have the money to casually just buy more skates like a week after getting some. I mean my old cheap skates didn't even HAVE anything to lock the heel in. so these are a major improvement. and now they've broken in a little more its easier to get the heel right in. so uhh yeah i think they'll be fine now.

loopy

Final Flight
The point is - if you bought them at the skate shop, they should check to make sure they fit and if not, and they measured you, then you need to talk to them about an exchange/return or credit if they don;t fit properly. If you bought them online and did all the decision making on your own, you might be stuck with ill fitting skates. At the very least, have your coach check them out.

If you don't have a skate pro or coach, they probably do fit better than rentals or even cheaper skates.

joonieskates

Rinkside
Don't worry guys, i've figured out how to get my heels in right. it just took a while that's all. i've figured out they're a LOT faster than my old skates. maybe TOO much faster, because i skated with them for the first time 2 days ago and fractured my wrist. But that's my fault, i was going so much faster than im used to, just because i could!! But i mastered going backwards properly!!it just came with a price.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Don't worry guys, i've figured out how to get my heels in right. it just took a while that's all. i've figured out they're a LOT faster than my old skates. maybe TOO much faster, because i skated with them for the first time 2 days ago and fractured my wrist. But that's my fault, i was going so much faster than im used to, just because i could!! But i mastered going backwards properly!!it just came with a price.

Hey, can you share how did you finally manage to lock your feet into the skates? I just bought Ice Fly and they are my first Edea's (I was in Risport before) and I have the same problem. I have been doing the laces EXACTLY like Edea recommends (watched all the official Edea YouTube videos and read all the info on the website) and still I can feel my heel going slightly up when I do three turns and worst of all when I try to jump... It is driving me crazy :( I land my Sal and can't hold on to the landing because I have to kind of "hold" the entire skate with my foot, not to mention trying to do a loop... I am going to the shop where I bought them today to talk about it, the problem is they did not measure my foot at all, the lady asked me about my Risport boot size and gave me the same size in Edea. Just trying the boot on it felt perfect so I bought them, then I went on ice and after third session was on the verge of tears because I couldn't even do a proper three turn :(
On the bright side I absolutely LOVE the loose area around the ankle, it was so weird and scary at first but now I wouldn't change it for anything.

Edit: They measured my foot and it turns out the size is Ok, she said based on the measurement she would even go a size up but the ones I have feel like a perfect fit. We agreed I may just have slightly narrower heel so I am gonna tie my laces while keeping my foot on the back of the blade instead of full blade on the floor and I will tighten the ball of foot area tighter.

cl2

Final Flight
I don't know if this would make a difference to anyone, but for what it's worth, I learnt (for the first time in my 7+ years of skating) that you should keep your skates flat on the ground when lacing, and not prop it up on the back of the blade or on a bench or anything. This helps to achieve the correct tension in the lacing. Even better, now I sometimes half stand when lacing the ankle area, while pressing my weight firmly over my heel, to mimic the weight distribution of when I'm actually skating. Foot shape changes depending on the amount of ankle flexion or extension, and, after all, we don't skate with our feet propped up on benches, do we?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I don't know if this would make a difference to anyone, but for what it's worth, I learnt (for the first time in my 7+ years of skating) that you should keep your skates flat on the ground when lacing, and not prop it up on the back of the blade or on a bench or anything. This helps to achieve the correct tension in the lacing. Even better, now I sometimes half stand when lacing the ankle area, while pressing my weight firmly over my heel, to mimic the weight distribution of when I'm actually skating. Foot shape changes depending on the amount of ankle flexion or extension, and, after all, we don't skate with our feet propped up on benches, do we?

I never seem to understand and usually just shake my head when I see someone with their foot propped up or at an angle while lacing their skates. After banging my heel in to lock it I place the skate flat and lace it. Never had any problems.

cl2

Final Flight
I never seem to understand and usually just shake my head when I see someone with their foot propped up or at an angle while lacing their skates. After banging my heel in to lock it I place the skate flat and lace it. Never had any problems.

Next time you see someone doing that, please educate them! I wish someone had told me the right way lace skates earlier. It's such a simple yet not obvious thing until you're told of it.

sillyant

Rinkside

.................... never know that.....
you don't know how much this info would help me...

Thanks tonns Ic3Rabbit!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Next time you see someone doing that, please educate them! I wish someone had told me the right way lace skates earlier. It's such a simple yet not obvious thing until you're told of it.
I do help others.

.................... never know that.....
you don't know how much this info would help me...

Thanks tonns Ic3Rabbit!

You’re welcome

skatespin

On the Ice
Hey, can you share how did you finally manage to lock your feet into the skates? I just bought Ice Fly and they are my first Edea's (I was in Risport before) and I have the same problem. I have been doing the laces EXACTLY like Edea recommends (watched all the official Edea YouTube videos and read all the info on the website) and still I can feel my heel going slightly up when I do three turns and worst of all when I try to jump... It is driving me crazy :( I land my Sal and can't hold on to the landing because I have to kind of "hold" the entire skate with my foot, not to mention trying to do a loop... I am going to the shop where I bought them today to talk about it, the problem is they did not measure my foot at all, the lady asked me about my Risport boot size and gave me the same size in Edea. Just trying the boot on it felt perfect so I bought them, then I went on ice and after third session was on the verge of tears because I couldn't even do a proper three turn :(
On the bright side I absolutely LOVE the loose area around the ankle, it was so weird and scary at first but now I wouldn't change it for anything.

Edit: They measured my foot and it turns out the size is Ok, she said based on the measurement she would even go a size up but the ones I have feel like a perfect fit. We agreed I may just have slightly narrower heel so I am gonna tie my laces while keeping my foot on the back of the blade instead of full blade on the floor and I will tighten the ball of foot area tighter.

Lucky for you the Edea Ice Fly is one of the best type of boots to have if you want to make the heel area more narrow. The specific area of the boot (usually the achilles) has to be spot heated (with a hair dryer) and then clamped. Is there someone at the pro-shop who is trained in doing this?

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist

I actually took the 'technique' from YouTube videos that show people who seem to be professionals at Edea shops lace customers' boots like this, I did not just came up with that. They even have what seems to be a special platform for doing just that.
Like e.g. here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmlkhTi5jMc

Unfortunately this was honestly the only way to lace my shoes right. When I lace them flat on the floor one of two things happen: they are too loose in the heel and I cannot jump or I lace them so hard my toes go numb by the end of the practice but then my heel is secure.
Maybe I just don't know how to lock the foot by whacking the blade on the floor, I tried that but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice on doing that?

Lucky for you the Edea Ice Fly is one of the best type of boots to have if you want to make the heel area more narrow. The specific area of the boot (usually the achilles) has to be spot heated (with a hair dryer) and then clamped. Is there someone at the pro-shop who is trained in doing this?

No, unfortunately there are no true pro shops in my entire country, the one I bought my skates in claims to be an official Edea dealer but when I went back there and said I have a problem with my right heel the lady just asked me If I didn't feel it when I tried them on the first time (which I did not) and she basically had nothing to help me, just suggested to buy heel gel pads in a shoe shop and try sticking them in.

treesprite

Final Flight
I don't fully agree a general rule of foot being flat. It depends on the purpose in holding the foot a different way. Some skate techs prop feet at an angle to tie them. Some people find that putting the foot flat changes the tension in calf muscles in a way that conflicts with how they are used when standing, walking, and skating. Some people have ankle or foot problems which make it better to prop feet. All that said, I put my feet in the positions that feel right depending on the day.... sometimes it is flat and sometimes it is propped. But if they are flat, I have to basically do a deep knee bending and stretch my back way over to reach over my knees to tie my skates, otherwise I can't get them the right way to allow for proper knee bending while skating.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Maybe I just don't know how to lock the foot by whacking the blade on the floor, I tried that but it doesn't seem to work. Any advice on doing that?

In a previous response, I wrote:

I don't particularly care for whacking the end of the blade against the floor each time I lace up. I think it unnecessarily stresses the screw joints holding the blade to the boot. What I do is lace up, do about 20 - 30 deep knee bends, and then retighten the lace. You might want to see if that also works for you, if you want to avoid the whacking method.

Try that method.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
In a previous response, I wrote:

I don't particularly care for whacking the end of the blade against the floor each time I lace up. I think it unnecessarily stresses the screw joints holding the blade to the boot. What I do is lace up, do about 20 - 30 deep knee bends, and then retighten the lace. You might want to see if that also works for you, if you want to avoid the whacking method.

Try that method.

I have a practice today so I will try that, Thank you [emoji846]
Let me just add that I did ask a coach with whom I work and also another coach from my arena about my issues. Both basically said to just lace harder, which obviosusly doesn’t work for me, so I have to search for other solutions. Thank you all for your responses and tips! Much appreciated!