Please share creepy stories/legends from your area | Golden Skate

Please share creepy stories/legends from your area

Johar

Medalist
I like to read peoples' tales of the strange/paranorma/weird mysteries/legends from their area. Please share some!

For instance--out in the boondocks of my county it is said that a farmer built his own private auto racetrack where he and his friends used to hold races, until there was a horrific accident that killed some. Supposedly, if you go down this road by the abandoned property and shut off the engine you can hear the sounds of racing cars followed by screeching tires, or something to that effect.

Another story from our county--- in the 1960s, this family claimed to have a monster in their well. Many people visited the infamous well. They even had the local paper come out and do a story. The family wasn't "all there" in the head, if you get my drift. :rolleye:

There was a farmer who really was attacked and killed by hogs. They(sows) can be very mean when they have piglets and he was at the right place at the wrong time. It's still creepy.

A little girl was playing in a pile of leaves when a car parked on top of her. Her mother blamd the husband for her death(he was watching her) and they quickly moved away from our town.

There used to be a "haunted" house out in the boondocks. People used to report a strange deer-like creature in the same proximity. Finally, the fire department burned it down(on purpose) during a training session so high schoolers wouldn't go hang out in it. Before that happened a popular girl from my class was in it, stepped on a rotted board and tore up her knee joint. Knee went one direction, body went the other. She had surgery and was in a leg brace fro most of her senior year.

A well-kept mansion in our town is rumored to have a tunnel from their basement that runs up a block. Nobody reliable has ever been in this tunnel. And of course there is a ghost in it.

On "Blood Road" you can supposedly see the blood stains of a car accident victim that will never come out of the pavement. The road is rumored to have been paved over several times but the "stains" always come back.

At midnight on Halloween the statue on a baby's grave supposedly turns over.

Our old hospital had a ghost in it of a woman who died in childbirth during the 50s. She would go up to people and ask "Where's my baby!" and wasn't very friendly. As the story went.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
We have Mothman of "The Mothman Prophecies" fame. And there is Bat Boy who is actually my lovechild with Elvis. :eek: :D ;)

There used to be a story that was in the local newspapers every few years about a house where a young girl had died. Supposedly a cameo type likeness of her appeared on one of the stucco columns on the porch of the family's home. Cleaning and painting failed to remove the image. I haven't heard anything about it in a long time. Maybe it was a freaky case of black mold, LOL?

My grandmother always told us a story about when she was a little girl coming home from church one night in a horse and buggy with her father. One night a ball of flames just rolled across the road causing the horse to rear up and refuse to go any farther until the ball disappeared.

Johar

Medalist
Piel: I read The Mothman Prophecies by John Keel, and it was one of the scariest books I've ever read. The Richard Gere movie really botched it up; it was nothing like the book and left out major characters and incidents.
I find the entire thing very creepy. :eek:

Your grandma may have seen ball lightning. Something similar happened to some men I used to hang out with 10 years ago. Has anybody else in that area had this happen to them?

Ladskater--thank you for the links! Ogopogo has always been a fascinating lake monster, and it sounds bigger in size than Nessie. I saw a woman interviewed on TV who was near a bridge when she saw a dark mass/shadow moving under the water's surface. That particular story sent shivers down my spine. :eek:

mariana

On the Ice
Well...at the early 1900's one of the buttler's daughters from my family's state in the coutry hanged herself after discovering that she was pregnant (the father of her child was a married gaucho). Since then several members of my family have heard her coming up the stairs of the house to the room she used to live and knoking and trying to open the door late at night.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
After my late sister's husband died at 42 of malignant brain tumor, she swears his ghost was in her house. Sometimes he would pick up a sofa cushion and throw it across the room. She never was afraid. Felt he was trying to protect her. She moved to a cabin on a lake with our bro & wife, now lives there alone, and he disappeared.

Pau-goodle76

Rinkside
I love to hear creepy stories! I have all kinds of stories that have been passed down throughout both sides of my family.
My family and I use to attend a Indian Church, which is 100+ yrs. old. Anyways, on any given night, you can sit outside the church grounds and hear the past deceased members singing church hymns in the Creek language.
If anyone else is interested in hearing ghost stories and such, you can go to www.theshadowlands.net It is a really good site and it has ghost photos and list of states with haunted places. They also have other countries. So check it out if you can!

Glacierskater

On the Ice
Lad,

I spent a better part of the night perusing this site. Veriy interesting sutff. I chalked the whole Bigfoot thing up to that guy in California that admitted to playing this prank and it was revealed after he died. After reading these stories, it looks that there is much more to it.

Ladskater said:
We have a couple of legends in British Columbia - the legend of "Big Foot" some claim to have seen him and from Kelowna - where my sister lives - the legend of the Ogopogo - like the lochness monster in Scotland.

http://www.vtours.com/kelowna/ogopogo.htm
http://www.ogopogo.org/
http://www.ufobc.ca/Supernatural/Bigfoot/

These sites should give you some chilling tales!!!!

:eek:

Johar

Medalist
What about Bigfoot prints from around the nation? That guy couldn't have been everywhere making those! BUT, I need a body in order to believe in Bigfoot.

Has anyone ever taken the Haunted Tour of Chicago?

Keep the stories coming! And thanks to those who have posted in here.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
The Shadowlands site is very informative. Have any of you ever experienced sleep paralysis? I have but had no idea it had a name until reading on that site. I thought it was just a strange nightmare of some kind :eek: :eek: :eek: .

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'm not sure what you mean by sleep paralysis. I have awakened from feeling I couldn't move or breathe. I think maybe I may have some sleep apnea.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny here is some info from the Shadowlands website.

Sleep paralysis is a condition in which someone about to fall asleep, or just upon waking from sleep, realizes that they are unable to move or speak, but can still breathe and move their eyes. Your conscious mind has begun to drift into sleep but is not yet there, therefore you still retain a small amount of your waking conscious. . It is also accepted by most researchers that although this can happen in any sleeping position, it most commonly occurs in the supine position (laying on your back).

Once the person realizes they are unable to move, they usually, but not always, leave this "twilight" stage and become fully awake, but still paralyzed.The person may only experience a temporary paralysis, and after several seconds or up to a minute or so would then regain their movement and the event would be over. Researchers believe many people experience this at one point in their lives.

But the other scenario is much more frightening. . Many people report hearing, seeing, and/or sensing a person or people in the room with them while they are paralyzed. There is also the common experience of a usually sensed, malevolent presence (or SMP). Note that not all sensed presences are felt as being malevolent, but very frequently they are. These SMP's usually seem to be just out of view of the person experiencing the SP, who from here on in I will refer to as the 'subject', for the sole purpose of easily identifying the one experiencing the SP. The SMP is so incredibly intimidating and I feel that this very evil, terrible "thing" is just right outside my field of vision, and if I weren't paralyzed and was able to turn my ahead just an inch or so, I would be able to see this horrid thing. At least, that's the feeling I get, and other sufferer's of SP have reported the same.

Sometimes it is reported that the subject feels crushed, smothered, or pushed into the bed.
Out-of-Body experiences are also frequently reported with SP, along with the sensation of floating and sometimes of "falling" through the bed.

During SP a person may try to cry out or "fight" the presence they believe is responsible for causing them to be paralyzed. This has never helped me nor anyone else I've ever heard of, but somehow we have the innate feeling that we must "fight" this feeling. Usually movement returns slowly, usually within a minute or so.

These hallucinations are called hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations. These hallucinations are given these names because they occur at the onset of sleep, and the period just before waking, the period I call the 'twilight' stages of sleep. They can be auditory, visual, tactile and proprioceptive. A proprioceptor is a sensory receptor found mainly in the joints, muscles, tendons and inner ear that detects motion and can also can detect the position of a limb by responding to internal stimuli. This means when a person feels smashed into the bed or a creature is sitting on their chest that it really can be a VERY convincing hallucination. So I'd say that is possibly one of the single greatest arguments for a pro-"it's all in your mind" stance on SP. Because of proprioceptors we can feel as though we're falling through the bed, even though we actually are lying quite stationary, it can be among the most convincing of all hallucinations.

From my "research into other peoples' research" I have found a few people ('people' meaning doctor's studying sleep research and/or their students contributing to the research) that agree there can be several outside contributing factors to SP. Stress, emotional or physical, and one you have no power over, adolescence.

It is very hard to believe it is a hallucination, but, after all, that's what a hallucination proper is. This, however, does not make the experience any less terrifying. While it is happening it feels pretty damn real! And remember, this is not written in stone. This is scientific theory, not scientific fact.

Some researchers at Waterloo University have done some of the most intense research on SP. They have studied the REM dream states and compared them to SP with hypnogogic and hypnopompic hallucinations, (or HHE's) and have found some interesting results. While we are dreaming in a normal REM state, our minds send out a message to our body's to cease our normal motor functions, our muscles "turn off" in a sense, so that we do not act out our dreams. This keeps us from possibly doing damage to ourselves or those around us. While in an REM state, we are experiencing stimuli manufactured from within our own minds, effectively "tuning out" the world around us.

Anyway, during episodes of hallucinogenic SP, the mind is not only accepting outside stimulation, but is also 'warping' it in much the same way as our dream states warp information. Its a melding of the two worlds, only the subject is not asleep.

It is not hard to see why demons, devils, and other beasties of the night have been blamed for these nocturnal 'attacks'. Virtually all cultures with a written or oral history has some kind of form of SP they have reported, legend and lore abounds. SP is more commonly known as Old Hag,
Surprisingly, though, is the consistency of such reports made by societies and cultures with no previous knowledge of each other or their lore. The main details remain constant. A man or woman is attacked during the night, usually lying on their back, when an evil entity sits upon their body, causes paralysis, and even sometimes chokes or smothers it's victim. Though their motivation may differ, (possession, revenge, or just wanting to upset the living) the attack remains strikingly similar. And these stories are not limited to Western cultures, in fact, quite the contrary. In Thailand people refer to being Phi um (ghost covered) and phi kau (ghost possessed), and these experiences include a feeling of pressure, paralysis, and something black covering the body. In Japan, kanashibara ("to tie with an iron rope") is a common known and accepted experience. In the Far North one speaks of agumangia (Inupik) or ukomiarik (Yupik) in which "a soul" tries to take possession of the paralyzed victim. In Laos, da chor is described as follows: "You want to listen, you can't hear; you want to speak, you are dumb; you want to call out, you cannot; you feel you are dying, dying; you want to run away. You piss with fear in your sleep"

Truly, the area of research dealing with SP is in it's infancy. Researchers are always on the lookout for sufferers of this bizarre yet not too uncommon condition. If you feel you suffer from SP, there are a number of websites on the internet that have surveys you can take. By just answering a few questions you could possibly help researchers attain a deeper understanding of this bizarre phenomena. And you never know, maybe there IS some truth in the old legends!

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Thanks for that, Piel. I haven't had it happen for many years but still remember how frightening it is. It never happened when I first went to sleep, usually in the middle of the night or morning. Also, never when I was laying on my back, I don't. Usually, laying on my stomach. Which, I don't do any more. I also used to have dreams of floating down the stairs on a cot. Think it was nerves. Always jerked and woke me up. Haven't done that for even more years.

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
Grgranny, I haven't had one for several years but they are terrible frightening, What I have experienced is waking up and feeling like someone is holding a black cape over me. I can't move or scream. It's like this dark cape is holding me down. The only "normal" thing I can compare it to is coming out of anesthesia after surgery and being held down because I tried to remove the endotracheal tube. There are several interesting sites about SP. One suggests that this is what happens to people when they think they are being abducted by aliens, LOL. :eek: .

Johar

Medalist
Has anyone read "Haunted Places" by Dennis William Hauck. It's a directory of real haunted places. very good reading. If you like ghosts this is a must-buy. You won't be able to put it down. I've had no less than 7 people borrow the book from me.

I even wrote the author twice and he wrote me back. Very cool guy! And he's not a kook or anything.