Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom | Golden Skate

Carol Lane commentating on the Rostelecom

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyndichee

Medalist
To be honest with the scoring, some of her comments gave me a laugh. Though, I prefer to watch either British Eurosport commentary or none at all.

On the flip side, she was incredibly unprofessional and I think regardless of whether she is working for a Canadian network, it is probably best to not speak that way or else they will have trouble attracting a broader audience. Overall, I find her somewhat annoying and even as a Canadian I don't watch CBC.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
She is not hypocritical at all..... She is just saying the things as she saw them ;)

Come on. I have read the competition threads here... and that's what many people have written as well, whether or not they are Canadian....

"home inflation" "Piper and Paul were better than the Russians" etc etc etc

I thought it was hilarious that she dared speaking up and honestly, it speaks volumes about what many have "implied" or said behind the scenes.

She trains a couple who is constantly sacrificed to pave way to other teams... and she is probably sick and tired of it... nothing hypocritical there...but is it professional and politically correct? No... though... after Sochi... I cannot personally fault her.

YMMV

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
American commentators like Dick Button have made similar comments before when it comes to scoring and judging panel composition. The only thing that bothers me is that these commentators don't bring it up when their countrymen benefit.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker

My god, I hope foreign skaters (or anyone really) don't think TSL is some kind of authority or go-to source on anything. Just the rantings of one insanely biased attention seeker. I wouldn't even call him a fan because he is so negative, and his tastes seem to change based on who feeds his narcissistic supply, the direction the wind is blowing, etc.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When you see the people involved with the sport on such a high level show it so much disrespect :palmf:
No wonder it's so screwed up.

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
though... after Sochi... I cannot personally fault her.

Why just Sochi? Do you think Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake City and Evan Lysacek in Vancouver had their well-deserved victories?

After her Olympics, Irina Slutskaya didn't say "well, it's America". Instead, she said "we must be miles ahead of everyone else, so that no one would even think of questioning our victory."

joanne129

Rinkside
so disrespectful. the canadians are simply turning a blind eye when canadian skaters benefit from such judging

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Why just Sochi? Do you think Sarah Hughes in Salt Lake City and Evan Lysacek in Vancouver had their well-deserved victories?

After her Olympics, Irina Slutskaya didn't say "well, it's America". Instead, she said "we must be miles ahead of everyone else, so that no one would even think of questioning our victory."

Totally my point... It's not the first time... it's not the last time. Glad someone is speaking up. Finally. Irina perhaps was more subdued but things are the same.. it will take a scandal to clean the sport... and perhaps it's time that coaches and commentators point out some unfair behaviour. The sport is losing a lot of fans because of it. I was personally out of it for 1.5 years after Sochi (and it had nothing to do with Adelina... just saying).... i came back only because I love skating that much...

I believe athletes deserve better judgment and equal treatment no matter where they are from. I am also used to hear about Canadian inflation.... so what? Russians were called out this time? About time IMHO.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

That's really inspiring actually!!

andromache

Record Breaker
When you see the people involved with the sport on such a high level show it so much disrespect :palmf:
No wonder it's so screwed up.

American commentators like Dick Button have made similar comments before when it comes to scoring and judging panel composition. The only thing that bothers me is that these commentators don't bring it up when their countrymen benefit.

We all know there is a certain amount of home inflation at certain home GP events, most notably in the US, Canada, and Russia. Maybe in ye olden days it was all about panel composition, but nowadays, it's the location of the event. If we as fans are aware of it, it's obviously something that people who are very involved at a high level have more concrete knowledge of. But I do think it's unprofessional to make note of it on a national broadcast.

And it's obviously hypocritical to point it out when it hurts your countrymen and not when it helps them. There were some ridiculous scores at Rostelecom for Kolyada, B/S, and S/B. I expect to see ridiculous scores for Kaetlyn, D/R, and WeaPo at Skate Canada. Nathan, Karen, and Ashley will all get more love than they deserve at Skate America (though IMO, the US is not as good at inflating home ice scores as Russia and Canada - but maybe that's my own fellow countrymen bias speaking, or simply because the US has less talent to inflate scores for, but god, at least I am acknowledging my bias!)

ETA: Re: Irina/Sarah in 2002 - home ice excitement played a role in Michelle winning the SP over Irina, but the final result was much more a freak accident of numbers caused by the ordinal system and the skate order and the placements of the top 4 across both programs than intentional home-cooking. It is incredibly confusing and complicated to figure out just how that happened that caused the numbers to shake out the way they did.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Or received ?

well... before anything gets perceived, it has to be said ;) i have never heard Irina say these words... let alone in English... I loved Irina so much... she was my favourite skater for years in that era.

All I am pointing out is that everyone is starting to get sensitive for things that are commonly said on this forum about every single nation. It shows that the sport needs to be cleaned up.

So why attack one of the whistle blower Carol Lane? I am glad one has the courage to speak up... usually, coaches wouldn't as they would fear that their team would be held down even more... but she did it.

Kudos to her... courage or moment of insanity? I think she is just fed up about how things have been in the last few years.. and not just in Russia as her team was held down in Canada. It's time that people get together and speak out.

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
Just as I was commenting on instagram (a few users bellow Piper Gilles herself), I found Carol Lane's very entertaining. In fact, just as amusing as TAT's rants on Russian media, that's why I find they should carry the same weight (i.e. a laughable joke). Yes, she does raise some valid points about home turf inflation as we've been doing in this forum for years, BUT she's not a mere user but a coach speaking on national television. To state her opinions as facts is highly unprofessional. And since we've yet to hear a Canadian commentator say "Well, it's Canada" when local skaters are benefited from generous judging, I find it hypocritical.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
^^ Canadian commentators have talked about home ice advantage but in less direct ways... saying, skating at home, with the support of the crowd can influence the judges positively" I am paraphrasing but I have heard that many times... including from Lane herself. (if I recall correctly)

danse

On the Ice
If she hadn't made so many comments so frequently, I might not have noticed. She's usually pretty snarky, but especially when her skaters are in a competition.

I think we are all aware of the "home ice advantage" in any country (notably Russia and Canada) so it's not new. What's new is someone being so completely blunt about it on national TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.