Russian article -- Irina at test skate | Golden Skate

Russian article -- Irina at test skate

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Russian original; translated by me.

Note: the tone of this interview is very respectable, in contrast to the often overly-familiar tone of many current sports writers.

Irina SLUTSKAYA: "My presence on the ice shocks doctors"
Vladimir RAUSCH

On Thursday and Friday, in Odincevo near Moscow, the so-called test skates took place -- the first shows of the figure skaters in the new season. Despite the presence of almost all leaders, Irina Slutskaya was the certainly the public's darling. The best single lady skater of the country in the last few years has been forced to sit out almost all of last season; her popularity, however, did not suffer, if anything it just grew. Wherever Slutskaya shows up, hordes of fans with pads for autographs surround her immediately. In a break in this activity, the skater answered the questinos of "Izvestiya" correspondent VLADIMIR RAUSCH.

Have you noticed that the public applauded your skates more than those of others?

Sure, and it's really nice. To me, the rink at Odincevo is like a second home. Here is where I prepared for the Olympics at Salt Lake city, here is where I trained for the March World championship at Dortmund. There are lots of friends, acquaintaces (as if to underline the point, Ira jumps up to the two young men passing nearby, "Hey guys, why aren't you saying hi?!")

Today you looked more confident than at the skates before Worlds...

I was then just getting over the illness. I was upset that there was so little time left before the championships. Now it's all different, preparations for the new season went almost as planned. Correspondigly, I feel a lot more confident.

Where did you train?

I've used the same method for many years. First, I train for 10 days in mid-mountains in Italy. Though I was short on time this season. Then I start training on the ice.

I've chosen Shostakovich for our short program. Why?

I wanted to find a new image for this season. My choreographer offered this music. My coach Zhanna Gromova and I listed to it, and decided to try it out. The result, in my opinion, is an interesting program.

Are you satisfied with your skate?

I made a few mistakes. But I don't worry to much, since I still have time to fix them. In general, a lot is forgivable early in the season. Though normally, I am very demanding to myself.

You had to skip almost the entire last season. You have no health problems now?

Not on wood... laughs. Though I am still on medications, and will take them for a while. But my best medicine is my love of the sport, and my desire to skate. Many doctors are shocked by this.

You go against their recommendations?

In my condition, people are recommended bed rest, no strains, no cold. But figure skating is my life, I can't live without it. So everyone around just Ohs and Ahs. Though, of course, I am under constant medical supervision. They do tests, my doctor regularly examines me.

Right now, the fight against doping is becoming a real issue in the sport. Are you afraid of having problems because of your medications?

I have all the official papers stating that I taking medications is vitally important for me.

Vitally important? You do look excellent...

With my diagnosis, a person can hardly consider himself healthy. On the other hand, I try not to think about it, and continue my normal way of life. That, too, is a way of healing -- optimistm and strength of will. And my illness can get better. It just takes a lot of time, years may be.

What is that mysterious illness?

It has to do with blood vessels. I don't want to say anything more specific.

Last season you actively prepared for a career in television, you even went to the school of young journalists in "Ostankino". Do you continue the studies?

I had to postpone the studies due to new season training. Though I am officially on staff on "Channel One", where I plan to chair the sports news. I also have another small dream about my future career. I hope to soon announce it.

Source: Izvestiya

Last edited:
WHAT A GAL!!!

She's a fighter, and I've said it before: I will not be surprised if she goldmedals at Worlds.

Joe

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Her doctors are keeping a close eye on her but I think Irina really wants to get back on top shape again. She delivered at the recent Russian skate test and also landed a 3/3/2. Considering the season still hasn't begun, she seems to be on route to be coming back to her old self again. She has no pressure on her and her federation is not putting any pressure on her.
From what I hear, she has two knock out programs. She will skate to 'Tango' as her SP and LP is 'Queen of spades'..

Good luck Ira.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Thanks for translating that article. Sounds like she really is in fighting shape!

RealtorGal

Record Breaker
She's a totally amazing woman! Her life has been full of obstacles, yet she comes back smiling. Incredible! :love:

diver chick

On the Ice
I am so chuffed to hear that she will be back this season!!

I so admire the way she keeps a smile on her face through thick and thin :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Irina has such a great smiling personality. I hope to see her using that in her programmes more...

Marjaana

Ximena

Final Flight
Irina is such a fighter and such a great example of overcoming everything and never give up. I just love this girl and I really wish she can keep her condition under control and be healthy again. It would be great if she can do a wonderful event in March when worlds arrive to Moscow.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Joesitz said:
For me, she has a lyrical ingenue style at her best. I'd like to see her do Die Fledermaus.
Joe, I posted a translation of another article on the test skates here. It is by Vaitsehovskaya, and it is more substative than most. Among other things, it has Irina talk about her new FS. Very interesting!

Ptichka said:
Joe, I posted a translation of another article on the test skates here. It is by Vaitsehovskaya, and it is more substative than most. Among other things, it has Irina talk about her new FS. Very interesting!

Thanks Pitchka for the whole article. As for Irina:

Irina Slutskaya, appearing on the ice in wonderful costumes and wonderful condition, was a real sensation. She stayed with the same free program. The short was created by Vycheslav Vojtuk, as of yet a relatively unknown choreographer, former actor of the Ice Theater.

Does this mean she will be using Verdi's Traviata? I think she could do better with the piece of music than we saw. She wasn't herself at that time and it does have some upbeat medodies. Or was it the one she used in Dortmund?

I get from the article the impression that the whole Russian team really gets into working on their music and choreography. The Americans don't seem to do that or at least it is never reported.

Joe

wvgal57

On the Ice
Irina's Free Program

Irina is using her "Queen of Spades" program that Igor Bobrin created for her for last season. She plans to do some shows this fall and work with Bobrin some more on it and also she says that a lot has already been changed from last years Worlds. Most likely COP things. The rough program that I got a copy of from training last season (before Irina got sick) had a lot of really nice things in it that Irina did not show at Worlds. She did say that stamina at the time had a lot to do with it. She did this like half axel thingy that was so cool and it also had a split jump it.

Also, while her "Tango" short program seems to have gone over well with fans, I am hearing that the technical committee told her that they did not think it was up to snuff for COP. Zhanna did say however that the program was not finished at this time and they did plan to do more with it. I rather think that going with an unknown choreographer for the first year of COP might not be wise - but I can be proven wrong. LOL

I wouldn't be surprised to see a whole new program.

It's very early now and Irina will have her two GP events to see how she shakes out with COP and her programs and then onto Euro's and Worlds.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
This years Russian nationals has got to be the most competitive i've ever seen. Two spots for worlds/europeans and 4 women who want in. They all seem to be watchin each other and I know they'll try to out-perform each other as well... I believe all 4 women will be at 'Cup of Russia' along with Arakawa.. If they keep up this competitiveness, they might just surprise everyone and just sweep the podium at 'Cup of Russia'...

We have Irina who has been really sick and still sick to an extent but doing okay landing 3/3/2 so early in the season at a test skate... What does she have instore when it comes to competition? Vika, who has been so inconsisent most of her career, going back to basics and working from the ground up and in result winning a top jump competition. Soldatova who is soooooo competitive and seems to be getting consisent and lets not forget the reigning national champion, Sokolova. She has the technical down, it was her choreography that needed work. Zhulin and Demtrive worked on her programs and it seems like she has two great programs.... Its not all about the jumps for the Russian ladies anymore..
Good luck to all the girls, and let the games begin... :) :)

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
Excidra, I'd just like to add that out of those 4 ladies, only Slutskaya is NOT with the Kurdryvtsevs team. Also, since all three remaining ladies have at one point or another left the Ks, none of them is the "leading lady" there. I wonder how that will effect the rivalry as well.

Excidra2001

On the Ice
Ptichka, thanx for pointing that out. I totally forgot about that.. I know all 3 ladies are working with Kurdryvtsevs and team but I believe Sokolova is the only one working the main coach, Kurdryvtsev him self while the other two girls are working with his wife, correct me if i'm wrong...
I assume all three ladies are watching each other in practice, they are aware of what each lady is planning... That is not a good thing in my opinion. You seem like you know more then I do regarding the 3 ladies and Kurdryvtsevs, what do you think of it?

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
I'm not sure. I know Vika has had a lot of psychological problems with her coaches; also, Victor has complained about Vika's mom and grandma trying to push her way through. Sokolova was an example that Victor sighted in a recent interview as the most painful one when she left; he explains that he understand that sometimes a skater may grow tired of a coach, but in Elena's case he really felt she had no reason to leave (I may dig out an interview I've read with him on the subject). Victor also said that they now have a lot of ice, so they have no problem fitting all the skaters in. Also, I think all three ladies must have learned some humility from the experience. After all, all of them left "never to come back", yet are now back. BTW, officially Julia is also working with Victor, and I am not sure if Vika working with Marina was just a half-season solution, or one for the whole season. All ladies seem to be smart enough to go elsewhere for choreography -- the Kudryavtsevs may be great technicians, but they are no choreo geniuses.

Koroleva

On the Ice
I would say that Elena is Viktor Kudriavtsev's main student.

There are no problems in the Kudriavtsev camp. The only problem I can think of is how Viktor didn't take Vika back so she may be a bit jealous of his other skaters. Otherwise I have reason to think that they all get along very well. I remember an article from last season where Viktor was speaking of his students and especially Elena he spoke of how she welcomed everyone into the camp and they all had good working relationships. Also, I think Viktor likes Elena. There are no hard feelings anymore. If there were I don't think they would be as close as they are and he probably would not have taken her back.

I don't feel anyone should count Elena out yet either, she is two time Russian National Champion and beat Irina in 2003 when she was healthy! The problems she had this weekend were because she has only been skating in her new boots for two weeks now. Her boots and car were stolen, and that is not her fault. She is also healthy this season (knock on wood), and once she breaks in her new skates I think she will do fine.

I also disagree that the Russian ladies in the past have just been jumping beans. But that is another topic in itself.

MinnMan

Rinkside
GOD bless you Irina

God bless you in the year ahead, Irina.

I hope to see you at the Xcel Center October 1st.